March 26, 2017, 4:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Grantley
Thank you for your insight.

To be fair, he wasn't far off with his view of the game.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
Mrs Doyle
March 26, 2017, 7:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
That must be the umpteenth goal we have conceded from  a free kick this season it is a bad habit that needs addressing.

Also that late on or any time what is the point of setting a wall if they don't at least jump they risk taking one in the face or the crutch for the team but it could be a match winning block.

They should be willing to do that at 1-0 up with 4 minutes left.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
MarinerGaz
March 26, 2017, 9:03am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +399
Have to admit that I thought the ref had just stopped play with their man staying on the floor, I was cheesed off that he had stopped our break down the left then I realised he'd given a free kick to them. Most annoying thing is that their striker pushed 2 defenders in the air when going for the first ball forward but that was the pattern of play for most of the game, get away with a blatant foul and then look for a dive, with the ref willing to oblige more often than not. Think they'll be looking at getting Tom Daly in next season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
ginnywings
March 26, 2017, 9:17am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Having watched the highlights, i think it was a very fine free kick and no keeper would have saved it. Maybe the wall could have jumped and maybe it would have made a difference but i'm not too sure. You could argue that about any direct free kick that goes in and yet they are still scored on a regular basis.

However, i just don't get why Macca goes so far over to one side of his goal and was practically by his left hand post on that particular one. He invites the shot into the unguarded part of his goal and even if it had been well inside the right hand post, he wouldn't have got to it. Is this something that is coached or is it his decision because it's something that has been a feature of his game for a long time and something that gets mentioned over and over again? I don't think i've ever seen a Town goalie get beaten by so many long range shots as he does and not just free kicks either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
Bigdog
March 26, 2017, 10:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Comment from a Stanley fan..

Thought Grimsby were one of the better sides to come to our place this season - Coleman said this in his interview too.

Is it all doom and gloom?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
MuddyWaters
March 26, 2017, 10:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Bigdog
Comment from a Stanley fan..

Thought Grimsby were one of the better sides to come to our place this season - Coleman said this in his interview too.

Is it all doom and gloom?

No it's not. Coleman mentions us looking strong and organised and that's with a completely different pair of centre backs. We still lack goals - of course we do, we had to replace our leading scorer at very short notice. I hope (and expect) us to spend on a new strike force in the summer. Our midfield certainly looks better even without natural width, we've just got to get a few off the payroll and replace them with the missing bits of the jigsaw.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
grimsby pete
March 26, 2017, 10:51am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MuddyWaters

No it's not. Coleman mentions us looking strong and organised and that's with a completely different pair of centre backs. We still lack goals - of course we do, we had to replace our leading scorer at very short notice. I hope (and expect) us to spend on a new strike force in the summer. Our midfield certainly looks better even without natural width, we've just got to get a few off the payroll and replace them with the missing bits of the jigsaw.

I know he has not had a lot of game time OC  but do you think Asante could step up next season. ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
MuddyWaters
March 26, 2017, 10:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from grimsby pete

I know he has not had a lot of game time OC  but do you think Asante could step up next season. ?

I've not seen enough of him Pete - he could well be another Omar who learns from more experienced players like Scott Vernon who may not have the same physical attributes ie pace!
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
grimsby pete
March 26, 2017, 10:58am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I've not seen enough of him Pete - he could well be another Omar who learns from more experienced players like Scott Vernon who may not have the same physical attributes ie pace!

I have only seen a few highlights of him but from that he gives me the impression he could well be another Omar,

Lets hope so anyway mate.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
HertsGTFC
March 26, 2017, 1:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from grimsby pete

From what I've seen he looks like his first touch is better and he's possibly more comfortable on the ball than Omar when he first arrived but we need to see more of him to understand whether or not he's as a finisher. Really hope he get a run till the end of the season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.