TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 17, 2016, 8:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Fair enough, he's apologised.

But why is nobody asking why Boyce was playing in the first place? We lost at Wycombe (albeit playing pretty crap) because the defence was ball watching. Boyce isn't the only culprit but he has been the weakest member of that defence and culpable of letting attackers get behind him. Pearson has played well when he has had the chance so you have to ask why was it Boyce and not Pearson out there to start with last night?

It's not as if last night was a sudden blip from a player who has been playing out of his skin for weeks is it? The signs of poor form have been quite noticeable to everyone prior to Colchester.  OK, the manager was ruthless after half an hour but if he'd been ruthless before the start we might not have had so much of a  mountain to climb.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 61
RoboCod
August 17, 2016, 8:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Fair enough, he's apologised.

But why is nobody asking why Boyce was playing in the first place? We lost at Wycombe (albeit playing pretty crap) because the defence was ball watching. Boyce isn't the only culprit but he has been the weakest member of that defence and culpable of letting attackers get behind him. Pearson has played well when he has had the chance so you have to ask why was it Boyce and not Pearson out there to start with last night?

I think a few of us are asking. I'm bemused as to why Pearson has had such a long stint on the bench.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 61
golfer
August 17, 2016, 9:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Grantley
Weird how he's been viewed as shite in L2 but was well thought of in L1 with Scunny. Also, 'gloating on Twitter'? Car company takes picture with very minor local celeb and puts it on Twitter, hardly gloating is it.

Why isn't he still at Scunny then?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 61
chaos33
August 17, 2016, 9:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,998
Gold Stars: 362
I agree. Boyce isnt a player I particularly rate and I think it's become evident that we need a better defender, underlined last night. Pearson hasn't done anything wrong and should've played IMO.

I really do hope we can sign a quality CB before the end of the month because it's much needed, as is another striker - both acknowledged by Hurst.

I just have this nagging additional feeling that we need a better centre midfielder too. A winner. Mobile and athletic.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 61
jonnyboy82
August 17, 2016, 9:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Gone up a league and swapping toto for boyce is a step backwards imo.

As much as i like boyce he might be a decent option from the bench if needed but we are desperate for a defender with league experience to raise the confidence back there.

I think all our central defenders are good enough but we need someone in to help them.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 61
Maringer
August 17, 2016, 10:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Problem with central midfield is that, once again, they are all pretty much one-paced. Disley is still great in the air and will get up and down the pitch all game, Berrett and Summerfield have some ability and McAllister looks competent, but none of them have a burst of pace over a couple of yards which can make a real difference in the middle.

I think Boyce has more pace than Pearson so is seen as having more potential. Truth be told, he looks to have bulked up quite a bit from his previous loan spells to me and this doesn't seem to have improved his game in any way.

Hurst obviously sees a lot in him but Pearson should certainly come into the team if Boyce is in poor form.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 61
dapperz fun pub
August 17, 2016, 10:14am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,048
Gold Stars: 84
I remember rob Jones didn't particularly start well with us first season ... Let's give him a chance before we destroy him I'm still hopeful about him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 61
headingly_mariner
August 17, 2016, 10:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from chaos33
I agree. Boyce isnt a player I particularly rate and I think it's become evident that we need a better player, underlined last night. Pearson hasn't done anything wrong and should've played IMO.

I really do hope we can sign a quality CB before the end of the month because it's much needed, as is another striker - both acknowledged by Hurst.

I just have this nagging additional feeling that we need a better centre midfielder too. A winner. Mobile and athletic.

I actually think that midfield addition could be the most important, we are distinctly lacking energy in the middle of the park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 61
forza ivano
August 17, 2016, 11:00am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Surely a left sided midfielder, along with a pacy centre half are the most urgent requirements? even if you sign another forward and a battling centre mid you're still going to have alop sided midfield with a square peg in around hole. berrett is already reminding me of our league version of Mclaughlin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 61
GrimRob
August 17, 2016, 11:54am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,448
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Gone up a league and swapping toto for boyce is a step backwards imo.

As much as i like boyce he might be a decent option from the bench if needed but we are desperate for a defender with league experience to raise the confidence back there.

I think all our central defenders are good enough but we need someone in to help them.

It wasn't the club's choice though, Toto decided to leave. Boyce might have come anyway, who knows, I don't recall many people complaining when we signed him.When you sign 15 players or whatever it was there are bound to be some that don't make the grade. Having said all that it's far too early to condemn him as useless!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Boyce's apology

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.