This thread currently has 7,686 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Tom13
September 2, 2015, 9:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Joe Hart was making all sorts of high profile errors a couple of years ago so Pellegrini took him out of the firing line, played his reserve keeper for a few weeks and Hart came back a better player - for a couple of weeks I'd say it'd do Mckeown some good to have a couple of weeks training without having games so he could maybe catch up after his illness.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 49
big al
September 2, 2015, 9:21am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
If McKeown reads the Fishy then this thread is certainly going to be a knife straight through his heart. There's something wrong and the mistakes he's made are all quite similar but has he really gone from what many considered to be our finest player to a complete liability?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
grimsby pete
September 2, 2015, 9:56am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from oldun

I am not saying that we need to replace Macca permanently, I hope he can regain his confidence and form. I am merely asking that we bring in an experienced keeper on loan for a month or so.

Agree with this,

I don't think anybody has said get rid of Macca,

BUT

He does need a break and I honestly think he came back too soon after his illness,

I  have said before he needs to go and sit on a warm beach somewhere,

Recharge his batteries and come back when he is ready,

We only need a loan keeper for a couple of months,

Then Macca can come back and show us what a good keeper we know he is.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
horsforthmariner
September 2, 2015, 10:46am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,638
Gold Stars: 9
Macca's a good keeper but you can't keep on making howlers. It's also making our defenders a bit jumpy.  Send him on holiday for a week, get him working hard for two weeks and then bring him back.

Being dropped is part  of professional sport, I was watching a documentary on Shane Warne (probably the greatest living cricketer) and he got dropped in 2001. Macca will just have to suck it up and get on with it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 49
SamTheMariner
September 2, 2015, 12:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
No, just no. Mckeown has been fantastic for 3 years, very good but not as good last year, players go through poor form, form is temporary, class is permanent.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
September 2, 2015, 12:36pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings

I call myself a supporter because i am. I obviously don't meet your criteria of what a supporter should be but then you assume that people such as myself are causing a negative and divisive atmosphere around BP. I never boo the players or manager and never get on their backs. I put across my viewpoint on here which is what a forum is for, is it not?

I've said this many times before and i'll say it again for the hard of understanding. Criticism is not necessarily negative, it doesn't mean i don't love the club, it doesn't mean i'm not a supporter and i'm not jumping on some bandwagon. I have never thought Hurst is quite up to the job and have been saying ever since Scott went that we should have had a change then. We decided he should stay, so he got my support. I said after the play off final that he deserved another go but he just can't get it right, so i think now his position needs to be seriously looked at. If you are happy with Hurst in charge ,then fine but don't start questioning the validity of others support for the club because their views don't align with your own.

After watching 95% of home games for 43 seasons and being a regular away traveller in the past, you sort of get a feel for a manager and Hurst has never felt quite right to me.

Ginny do you have some problems with comprehension?
Reply: 35 - 49
arryarryarry
September 2, 2015, 1:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from big al
If McKeown reads the Fishy then this thread is certainly going to be a knife straight through his heart. There's something wrong and the mistakes he's made are all quite similar but has he really gone from what many considered to be our finest player to a complete liability?

Does he have a God given right to be picked every game, Pearson in my opinion has been one of our best players since he signed but he was dropped for whatever reason.

I personally don't think JM has been at his best this past season or so.

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 49
The Yard Dog
September 2, 2015, 3:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from gaz57

[/b]More than anything he needs a dam good rest mentally and physically after his illness and if his boss can't see that he owes him that, then there is no hope for anyone. We have a keeper who has done well for our club and he deserves our help and support. He is an employee of a business and if his boss does not do the right thing by him the board should take it out of his hands,.For goodness sake Mr Hurst stand up to your responsibility.

In my opinion Macca should have time to fully recovery from viral meningitis.

I have done a bit of research on the condition here some comments by people who have had viral meningitis say

"I said I'm surprised that I'm still feeling dizzy, having throbbing sound sensations, feeling fatigued and suffering from painful headaches a few weeks after having viral meningitis. I thought I would have recovered by now as the doctor only signed me off work for one week. I really feel for those of you who have suffered for years following your diagnosis"

"I am also suffering what seems like drunken episodes/fuzzy head/light headedness/spaced out"

"I was shocked to be hit with viral meningitis out of the blue at age 58 last September. I had severe headache, hit with a shovel level - starting in back of neck radiating through head, vomiting bile for several days, loss of balance, fuzzy eyes, red eyes, highly acute hearing and sense of smell - burning pains in my lower back and thighs and inability walk, difficulty in breathing....6 months on still get headaches especially if stressed, very tired and fatigues, need to sleep 10-12 hours, poor short term memory, poor concentration - viral meningitis is misunderstood and much ignorance remains doctors need to have more training in this field, viral meningitis is thought to be mild[b]
- what a joke!!!
its life changing".

"balance problems, feeling muddle headed or 'drunk' yes this is very familiar, doctors and employers do not sympathise, they need to educate themselves about after effects of viral meningitis, it can take a long time to recover. I have been advised to take it slowly, very slowly. a couple of weeks back I decided I must be better, 12 weeks in to VM - overdid it and was hit with extreme fatigue and extreme headaches returning, along with muscle aches and stiff neck. not the same as the initial infection but still a little reminder not to rush things. I am a very busy person usually, enjoy intellectual stimulation, but the brain just isn't up to it right now, I am hoping it will improve. Yes, cramp in left leg, not sure why the left but it seems others have experienced this, yes, continual feeling of pressure in head, never completely goes, still bothered by filtering out conversations in noisy environments, tired all the time"

Doctors probably told Macca ok to go back to work, when really he needed longer.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
Garth
September 2, 2015, 4:39pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from 935

Oh... Yeah great plan, drop him and damage his confidence even more, then in four weeks time pop him back in the firing line, wait for him to make a mistake and get on his back again... Is this  straight out of the book on good man management??

Maybe not but it's common sense, positive results are more important than Molly codling individual's, according to Mr Hurst recent statement (I am not prepared to carry passengers) or words to that effect. Macca requires competition in his position ASAP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
rancido
September 2, 2015, 5:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100
Macca is not that great in dealing with crosses but the team should do all they can to cut these crosses out. Obviously set plays are hard to avoid but he should be protected more by his defenders.  Having said that he should do what all defenders do and that is adopt the policy " when in doubt put it out of play". One scarry trait that Macca has started to practice is walking backwards to allow a back-pass to come to him instead of moving forward to meet it. It nearly cost us a goal on Monday as it allows the attackers to close you down. I'm amazed that he does this and I'm sure no goalkeeping coach would condone this.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New keeper

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.