This thread currently has 3,005 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
May 11, 2015, 8:50am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
56 people went to a football match and never came home.

RIP the 56, we should never forget.

I remember the day well, we had just won 2-0 at Crystal Palace with Kev Drinkell scoring his final 2 goals for the club. I'll never forget watching those haunting images on the TV that evening and John Helm's distressing commentary.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
arryarryarry
May 11, 2015, 9:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
My abiding memory was seeing the Bradford fans singing and dancing on the pitch in front of the cameras whilst the stand behind was ablaze.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
ackomariner
May 11, 2015, 11:33am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
A very sad day indeed

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
newfootballer
May 11, 2015, 12:31pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
   I will not say who this guy is because it is still a huge thing with his awful memories of this tragic day, the guy concerned was a fellow player with myself in the seventies.

After finally leaving the Proffessional football industry he went scouting for a league club of which he knew the Manager.
On the day of this disaster he had told his wife that he was coming over to Grimsby to watch a game and meet up with a few of his ex teamates from Town, me being one of them.

Unfortunatly right at the last minute he was told to go to watch the Bradford game but he never informed his wife that he was only local.

. As this dreadful disaster took place and the full amount of possible deaths that were made became a positive his wife rang me to make sure that my friend was in Blundel Park and not Bradford my wife had to tell her that he had indeed gone to Bradford instead of Grimsby due to further instructions from the team he was scouting for at the time and would meet up with me in the future..

Well she was stricken down to the ground and did not know what to do at all. All was well though because this ex fellow teamate of Grimsby Town was indeed a hero he was in the stand that collapsed through the heavy fire and helped to drag people out to safety and saved a lot of people who were struggling to get out of the stand.

My phone never stopped ringing from his wife my friend was suffering from severe shock and would not leave the ground while he thought people were still trapped and when he finally went home to Halifax his wife collapsed with relief and rung me to tell me the only bit of good news that he had got home. Talk about relief just to listen to his voice was tremendous and then years later I got told what is contribution had been well the more I heard he should have been honoured in some way. Lets hope that this awful disaster never happens again.

Dave B oylen
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
The_Laughing_Mariner
May 11, 2015, 12:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Great story that Dave, Thanks for sharing

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
FishOutOfWater
May 11, 2015, 1:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Great story that Dave, Thanks for sharing

100% this - it's all the personal tragedies that make this something that must never be forgotten so sharing that story Dave means a lot more than just reading newspaper / internet articles

I too was at Palace watching Town while the Bradford / Lincoln game was taking place and to be honest I had no real clue as to what had gone on...another absolutely sad day for football

There but for the grace of God etc...

RIP the 56  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 12
Les Brechin
May 11, 2015, 1:19pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

100% this - it's all the personal tragedies that make this something that must never be forgotten so sharing that story Dave means a lot more than just reading newspaper / internet articles

I too was at Palace watching Town while the Bradford / Lincoln game was taking place and to be honest I had no real clue as to what had gone on...another absolutely sad day for football

There but for the grace of God etc...

RIP the 56  

I also remember that we went out in London on the evening and they well selling early editions of the Sunday papers. I can recall reading an article about the incident in The Sunday People and they were reporting that "Nobody is thought to have been seriously hurt!" How wrong they were.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
gobby
May 11, 2015, 1:41pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
I was in hospital on this day and remember going down to the tv room for a ciggy and listen to the scores come through but all that came through was the harrowing events of that dreadful day.
RIP the 56 that went to watch a game of football and never returned.  

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
LondonMariner43
May 11, 2015, 1:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,948
Gold Stars: 64
Will always remember that day as I was in 6th form at school and by coincidence I was at a school athletics meeting in Bradford that day.  Just as it was finishing we saw the smoke and heard the sirens and afterwards heard the terrible news.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
GYinScuntland
May 11, 2015, 2:01pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from arryarryarry
My abiding memory was seeing the Bradford fans singing and dancing on the pitch in front of the cameras whilst the stand behind was ablaze.

I don't think at first they had the slightest idea anyone had been hurt let alone killed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 30 years ago today

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.