This thread currently has 2,785 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Lambretta Mariner
April 17, 2015, 9:08am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +140
What are peoples thoughts in relation to Hursts comments in todays Telegraph regarding momentum not mattering going into the play offs?

Following the Wrexham game, when people asked me about it I admit commenting to the effect we needed to get our results back on track in the final games to put us in a more positive position for the play offs.

Is Hurst right? Is it a cliche used by pundits? He gives an example of Newport losing to us in league then beating us in the play offs.

Managers though in my opinion change their answers to suit. Im sure if results had continued in the form of wins but we still missed out on automatic promotion,  Hurst would then be saying we need to take the momentum we had built up into the play off games.

I know I and a lot if others would be more confident if we'd beat Gateshead and Wrexham.

http://m.grimsbytelegraph.co.u.....04-detail/story.html
Logged Offline
Private Message
jonnyboy82
April 17, 2015, 9:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
I don't know anymore

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
lukeo
April 17, 2015, 9:30am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
the play offs is a lottery but i woudn't go resting players from the final 2 games. IF people are feeling it a bit and feel slightly tired drop the work load at training. IF someone get's injured during one of the next 2 matches then we're just unlucky.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
pizzzza
April 17, 2015, 9:41am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from Lambretta Mariner

I know I and a lot if others would be more confident if we'd beat Gateshead and Wrexham.

We'd be thinking about the title not the play-offs if we had beaten Gateshead and Wrexham.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
Fcukthescunts
April 17, 2015, 9:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Mind games starting early I think we lose next two games he can say momentum wasn't important. We win the next two games we have shown what a depth of squad we have...... Personally would like to see momentum into play offs rest players who need the rest (niggles etc). People who need to find form Jolley, Arnold, Palmer play them to see if they can get back on track.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
grimsby pete
April 17, 2015, 9:42am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
It can go both ways,

We have 2 games left and if we lose them both,

It means we go into the play offs on a 3 game losing streak,

It might mean we have got the losses out of our system and we go and win the play offs,

We might win the next 2 games 5-0 and like Hurst said we have used all our goals up going into the play offs,

Who knows ?

What happens in the next 2 games is not important ,

The 3 after that is the ones we have got to win.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
ginnywings
April 17, 2015, 9:46am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Depends if we win the play offs or not. You're always right when you win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
BIGChris
April 17, 2015, 9:52am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from ginnywings
Depends if we win the play offs or not. You're always right when you win.

Absolutely!

Equally he will be wrong if we lose!

Still dont quite understand why fans set so much store over what a manager says to the press. Take is all with a very large pinch of salt
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
ginnywings
April 17, 2015, 9:59am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from BIGChris

Absolutely!

Equally he will be wrong if we lose!

Still dont quite understand why fans set so much store over what a manager says to the press. Take is all with a very large pinch of salt

Yeah and funnily enough, despite my dislike of Hurst, i wouldn't pin too much blame on him if we did fail in the play offs as they are very much a lottery and don't represent what has happened over the entire season.

The fact that we failed to mount a sustained automatic promotion push however.....................
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
grimsby pete
April 17, 2015, 10:14am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah and funnily enough, despite my dislike of Hurst, i wouldn't pin too much blame on him if we did fail in the play offs as they are very much a lottery and don't represent what has happened over the entire season.

The fact that we failed to mount a sustained automatic promotion push however.....................

Yes but we got very close,

Our failure to get a striker in at the start of the season has cost us,

If we do not go up through the play offs,

We will expect a new strike force in before the warm up games,

If not, I expect the fans will just not turn up in the numbers we have seen this season,

Considering our home form the gates have been very good,

We should be talking to strikers now and get them signed as soon as we know what league we will be playing in.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Momentum

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.