3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Southwark Mariner
April 10, 2015, 1:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
I reckon I'll be voting Conservative, but one thing I honestly think is an optional extra is our strategic nuclear submarine fleet. I can't think of a situation where we'd be threatened and not have a nuclear armed ally to defend us within the next 20 years. I'd be happy investing in a new batch of supremely silent service subsurface fleet but arming them with SLBMs is a waste of cash. Unmanned drones is the future. Arm them with tactical weapons maybe, launch them from submarines, our new waste of money carriers, or from space. But why waste cash on a full strategic nuclear arsenal.

Logged Offline
Private Message
gary_elton
April 10, 2015, 1:57am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
There's enough folk wasting money on Arsenal......  

I'm all for a strong nuclear deterrent myself.... but launching from space ???

well that would cost infinitely more than nuclear capable submarines....

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
ginnywings
April 11, 2015, 5:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
I stopped reading after the word Conservative.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
Maringer
April 11, 2015, 6:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Putting aside the unacceptable nature of putting atomic weapons into orbit (and the vast cost of doing so due to their huge weight), it just wouldn't work in any case. China 'shot down' a spy satellite the other year as I recall. Can be done with missiles or even lasers. Just enough to heat them up/disrupt the orbit and the weapons would be useless. I'd imagine that keeping nuclear weapons stable/usable in orbit would be an issue due to the increased amounts of radiation outside of the atmosphere as well.

As for drones (and again putting aside the great weight of nuclear weapons), Iran captured a cutting edge US drone recently by jamming communications and hacking the software. No way in the world is any nation going to put atomic weapons in an aircraft which could be relatively easily captured!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
fishheadphil
April 11, 2015, 7:53pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -9
We need to develope a high powered laser a bit like the one of the death star in the empire strikes back?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
moosey_club
April 11, 2015, 10:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from fishheadphil
We need to develope a high powered laser a bit like the one of the death star in the empire strikes back?

Thing is....as Star Wars was set "a long time ago" then what has happened to that technology and knowledge?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
Southwark Mariner
April 12, 2015, 2:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
the title of the thread is awful for what i meant. I was trying to say spending money on nuclear weapons is a complete waste. I'd rather we spent cash developing anything else other than nuclear weapons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
fishheadphil
April 12, 2015, 5:46pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -9
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
the title of the thread is awful for what i meant. I was trying to say spending money on nuclear weapons is a complete waste. I'd rather we spent cash developing anything else other than nuclear weapons.

If we followed this logic the Putin would be sat in Buckingham palace and the women of this country would be sex slaves for the Russian army, so please live in the real world.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
Maringer
April 12, 2015, 9:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
As a member of NATO, there is no way that the Russians would ever invade, nuclear weapons or not.

It it came down to war with conventional weaponry, the Russian military would be annihilated by the combined NATO forces.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
ska face
April 12, 2015, 11:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
Does any sane human being truly believe that there are nations out there that would launch an attack on another country with a nuclear weapon in the modern day? Seriously?

Trident, at a cost of hundreds of BILLIONS of pounds, is merely the UK's entry in the most expensive male private-waving contest in the history of mankind.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › nuke it from space

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.