This thread currently has 1,600 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
fleabag1970
March 25, 2015, 7:16am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Barnet  need to lose and draw 1  or Draw a couple ........... Ditto Brizzle ........ We need to win all 6 .  However we have hit winning form at the right time and I feel another 6 wins is very achievable  BUT we need important players to stay fit and hungry . I don't want to hear " They Looked Tired or He Faded " They are gonna have to run through brick walls for 6 more games ............The Reward ?  Hero Worship and the knowledge that they have SAVED a Football club !

Good luck lads

UTM

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
MeanwoodMariner
March 25, 2015, 8:48am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I agree we probably need to win all 6 remaining.

Brizzle's next game is away at Macc and is comfortably their toughest game left. If they don't win that one then it's in our hands to finish above them. Barnet's last 3 games are all a bit tricky.  Who knows!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 8
TownSNAFU5
March 25, 2015, 9:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,842
Gold Stars: 42
We "just" need to make up the points difference on Barnet and Rovers over the next 6 games.  And finish at least 1 point above  Barnet.

Barnet and Rovers now have 100% more rivals to worry about than they had last week.     This can only increase the pressure and expectation on them.

We will see how each team responds.  We have the chance of automatic promotion, which we have not had at this stage in previous NL seasons.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 8
big al
March 25, 2015, 9:47am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
We "just" need to make up the points difference on Barnet and Rovers over the next 6 games.  And finish at least 1 point above  Barnet.

Barnet and Rovers now have 100% more rivals to worry about than they had last week.     This can only increase the pressure and expectation on them.

We will see how each team responds.  We have the chance of automatic promotion, which we have not had at this stage in previous NL seasons.

Exactly. We're still outsiders although I would make us more likely to do it than Rovers. But we're not long shots either. On paper of course Barnet have to be favourites but 6 games is still a long way to go with a few twists and turns yet, I'm sure. If we win every game (which would be amazing) I'm sure that will be enough but it might not need that.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 8
mike502
March 25, 2015, 10:16am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +328
Gold Stars: 4
My concern is how poor we've been against the weaker teams - I think we all knew this was a problem but I for one hadn't realised quite how acute it was.

Against top 8: Town 2.07 points per game, Bristol 1.54, Barnet 1.54
Against middle 8: Bristol 2.00 ppg, Grimsby 1.86, Barnet 1.50
Against bottom 8: Barnet 2.85 ppg, Bristol 2.21, Grimsby 1.67

And the remaining games -
Barnet: 1 vs top 8, 2 vs middle, 3 vs bottom
Bristol: 1 vs top, 3 vs middle, 2 vs bottom
Town: 0 vs top, 2 vs middle, 4 vs bottom

If all three sides continued to get the same number of ppg against the three sections of the table, this would predict a further 13 points for Barnet, 12 for Rovers and 10 for us.

On the bright side, the numbers suggest that talk of Barnet not dropping any more points is perhaps premature...  but the pessimist in me has to point out that it's also unlikely that we'll win all six.  Still, we're on a great run of results, past results mean nothing, the title isn't won in March etc etc. And if things do continue according to this particular form book... well, we're nailed-on to win the playoffs!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 8
Jarmo.Is.God
March 25, 2015, 10:21am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
dont think we do, if on Saturday, Barnet & Rovers lose, we win, then we joint top.

Simple right....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 8
psgmariner
March 25, 2015, 10:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from mike502
My concern is how poor we've been against the weaker teams - I think we all knew this was a problem but I for one hadn't realised quite how acute it was.

Against top 8: Town 2.07 points per game, Bristol 1.54, Barnet 1.54
Against middle 8: Bristol 2.00 ppg, Grimsby 1.86, Barnet 1.50
Against bottom 8: Barnet 2.85 ppg, Bristol 2.21, Grimsby 1.67

And the remaining games -
Barnet: 1 vs top 8, 2 vs middle, 3 vs bottom
Bristol: 1 vs top, 3 vs middle, 2 vs bottom
Town: 0 vs top, 2 vs middle, 4 vs bottom

If all three sides continued to get the same number of ppg against the three sections of the table, this would predict a further 13 points for Barnet, 12 for Rovers and 10 for us.

On the bright side, the numbers suggest that talk of Barnet not dropping any more points is perhaps premature...  but the pessimist in me has to point out that it's also unlikely that we'll win all six.  Still, we're on a great run of results, past results mean nothing, the title isn't won in March etc etc. And if things do continue according to this particular form book... well, we're nailed-on to win the playoffs!

Another positive is that our record against the top 8 should stand us in good stead for the playoffs (if we are in them of course).

Private Message
Reply: 6 - 8
promotion plaice
March 25, 2015, 11:26am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,994
Gold Stars: 193
A draw on saturday between Macclesfield and Bristol would probably be the best result for us because it would stop Bristols momentum, and then a win later that day for town would mean we would only have to match their results over five games.
It would also keep Macclesfield out of touch of a top two playoff spot ( away game first ) just in case town don't go up automatically

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 8
KingstonMariner
March 25, 2015, 12:55pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from fleabag1970
Barnet  need to lose and draw 1  or Draw a couple ........... Ditto Brizzle ........ We need to win all 6 .  However we have hit winning form at the right time and I feel another 6 wins is very achievable  BUT we need important players to stay fit and hungry . I don't want to hear " They Looked Tired or He Faded " They are gonna have to run through brick walls for 6 more games ............The Reward ?  Hero Worship and the knowledge that they have SAVED a Football club !

Good luck lads

UTM

You might not like hearing it but they did!

I know a lot of the opposition are part-timers but these days their other jobs are more likely to be sat at a desk rather than hewing coal in Durham al la Bishop Auckland players in times gone by. The work rate was tremendous last night - they were closing down Dover players in packs, always two or three to one all over the pitch*. Add in a nigh on 600 mile round trip midweek and it's not so surprising.

* of course if they kept the ball better it wouldn't have been so necessary

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Reality Bites

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.