This thread currently has 3,900 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
excusebeef
March 16, 2015, 10:15am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +296
Saturday was my first away game all season due to other commitments i have not been able to go, but despite a cracking first 60 minutes, some bits of the day left a very very sour taste in my mouth.

1. The fact we had 1 turnstile open with ten minutes before kick off meant we were queuing for ages to get in. Some drunken idiots were trying to get in for concessional rate and were turned away and told to get a ticket from the main office. These chaps were over 30, absolutely steaming and holding everyone up. Of course this then incites trouble as fans want to just get in. Two local cops were watching the tension rise with big smirks on their faces and not doing anything to help the poor woman on the turnstile do here job.

2. The most annoying this were the two disabled fans on the side of the pitch in wheelchairs with restricted views. A group of town fans were congregating right in front of the two supporters who clearly were missing most of the game. Fair play to the town fans who said get out the bl00dy way the you're blocking the view, only to be told "I will stand where I fecking well want to" but his moronic tw@t, who was soo drunk he could barely stand up.

I don't know if its the stewards that should have intervened at this point, but the disabled supporters were stuck nearly 30 minutes unable to see. Eventually they were moved to a more suitable spot.

I love away days with town, they are the best, but this one stood out worse than any I have ever seen as a GTFC fan. I left ashamed of our own fans attitude to fellow disabled mariners and the tensions in amongst the crowd as a result of p!ss poor turnstile management just led to potential problems.

Maybe it's just me, i don't know. Be interesting to get anyone elses viewpoint. The atmosphere behind the goal seemed spot on though, but certainly on the side it was quite confrontational
Logged Offline
Private Message
big al
March 16, 2015, 10:25am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from excusebeef

2. The most annoying this were the two disabled fans on the side of the pitch in wheelchairs with restricted views. A group of town fans were congregating right in front of the two supporters who clearly were missing most of the game. Fair play to the town fans who said get out the bl00dy way the you're blocking the view, only to be told "I will stand where I fecking well want to" but his moronic tw@t, who was soo drunk he could barely stand up.

I saw this and couldn't believe it. The two main culprits were both older than me and I'm 48. Your mechanism has gone when you're arguing the toss when people are pointing out you are obstructing the view of our supporters in wheelchairs. Good on those who did try to put them right. There is an element of our support who'd start a  fight with their own shadows if they could.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
excusebeef
March 16, 2015, 10:30am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +296
just left a sour taste the whole day really, and I never say that!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
Jarmo.Is.God
March 16, 2015, 10:32am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
I was sat just to the left of the crowd and some of our older fans had to go 2-3 rows up as they wasnt comfortable on the front row with the town fans stood around everywhere and not being able to see.

stand where there is a sit, not at the front, no need !!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
Fcukthescunts
March 16, 2015, 10:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
I was in side stand and totally see your point. The issue was a lot of Chesters doing in my opinion but totally agree with the lack of respect for disabled fans. I was stone cold sober and yes some fans were aggressive to the stewards, but I did say to steward if the stand behind goal was full why so many empty seats he said we close when it is certain % full. So why don't you put the netting over the % of seats not to be used, his response was don't know and quickly walked away!
I do think the police near side stand did a great job a number of times they could have thrown fans out but told them to calm down and managed it well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
MarinerWY
March 16, 2015, 10:56am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,976
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
I was sat just to the left of the crowd and some of our older fans had to go 2-3 rows up as they wasnt comfortable on the front row with the town fans stood around everywhere and not being able to see.

stand where there is a sit, not at the front, no need !!!

It was entirely Chester's doing. The fact was most of the Town fans wanted to be behind the goal, jumping up and down and singing. For some bizzare reason when they was clearly lots of empty seats behind the goal, they shoved a load of us in the side stand.

Now I am not defending those insistently blocking the view of wheelchair supporters, thats just flipping ridiculous. But the idea of two different stands exists for a reason; one stand for those who will stand, jump about and have a more party like atmosphere, and the other for those who for whatever reason don't want this or it isn't feasible, be that because thy're wheelchair bound, families, want to sit and watch the game, old folk, just not their thing etc. whatever.

To just have one turnstile open is ridiculous. The reason many Town fans were stood near the corner is because they clearly weren't happy and being put in the side stand when their mates are all behind the goal, when we could see hundreds of empty seats in that stand. This created a bit of a sour grudge in the first place and people congregated near the corner, in a "we'ĺl do what we want" kind of way. Could of been avoided.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
ginnywings
March 16, 2015, 11:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,088
Gold Stars: 548
It was many incidents such as this that stopped me going to away games. The Grimsby reputation precedes us and sounds like there were some dickheads on Saturday doing everything to keep that reputation going with their antics. All fans then get the same treatment regardless. I got fed up of being herded around like cattle, so stopped travelling.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
big al
March 16, 2015, 11:17am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from MarinerWY

It was entirely Chester's doing. The fact was most of the Town fans wanted to be behind the goal, jumping up and down and singing. For some bizzare reason when they was clearly lots of empty seats behind the goal, they shoved a load of us in the side stand.

Now I am not defending those insistently blocking the view of wheelchair supporters, thats just flipping ridiculous. But the idea of two different stands exists for a reason; one stand for those who will stand, jump about and have a more party like atmosphere, and the other for those who for whatever reason don't want this or it isn't feasible, be that because thy're wheelchair bound, families, want to sit and watch the game, old folk, just not their thing etc. whatever.

To just have one turnstile open is ridiculous. The reason many Town fans were stood near the corner is because they clearly weren't happy and being put in the side stand when their mates are all behind the goal, when we could see hundreds of empty seats in that stand. This created a bit of a sour grudge in the first place and people congregated near the corner, in a "we'ĺl do what we want" kind of way. Could of been avoided.

I agree but there were a couple of incidents where town fans who were clearly part of the bunch having a bit of party, were saying to certain individuals - you need to stop blocking the view of the disabled supporters. They were met with abuse and contempt - the worst offenders were all fifty plus.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
Caesar
March 16, 2015, 12:26pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
I was behind the goal and got in early so missed all this. Desperately sad to hear! All the Town fans near me were class and saw the atmosphere on the side building up on the side nicely, didn't realise there was any obstruction of others

Have to say though;

A)well done to those fans for trying to stand up to the tossers.

B) Please don't let it out fans off going away, the way we fix tossers is by making sure there are more of us forcing them into better behaviour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
Paris Mariner
March 16, 2015, 12:37pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
I was one of the people stuck outside waiting to get in until 25 minutes after kick off having arrived at 3pmish which, had there been sufficient measures taken been ample time to get in at kick-off or just after. I missed the first goal and 25 minutes of the match.

I understand why people were asking for a reduced match entry. It was not our fault we missed 25% of the game, therefore 25% of the product we paid to see.

The police, who were simply saying "take it up with the club", did not help help the situation. If they expect fans to liaise with them, it has to be give and take. This is the moment where they get on the radio to someone at Chester FC and ask them, politely, to get someone down very quickly and open another gate. Queue halved, problem solved. They eventually, after a very minuscule bit of pushing and shoving, just walked away leaving two stewards and the lady on the turnstile to it.

When we eventually got in, there were no programme sellers until half time, no hot food and only out of date crisps for sale at half time, and an empty section of seats to our right which was allegedly full.

Now, I am definitely not condoning any of the idiotic antics performed by some of our less desirable away following but Chester FC, as a fan run club, has a lot to answer on Saturday. Their ineptitude was not a good supporter experience and contributed to the escalation of fans moods. Had they acted quickly and thoughtfully, a lot of the incidences above could have been avoided.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The match day experience

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.