2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
GiveUsAG
February 22, 2015, 8:11pm

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
Just seen this on the OS, haven't seen a thread on it yet, so here goes. Copy and paste job.

"THE issue of safe-standing has been brought to the fore again this week, following the publication of a study by the Welsh Conservatives, which was backed by the Football Supporters' Federation (FSF).

"The study found that supporters overwhelmingly back the introduction of designated standing areas at football grounds.

"But what do Town fans think? Let us know on our Mariners Wall Poll."

"SAFE-standing IS on the agenda for Grimsby Town's proposed new stadium.Following the results of their fans' survey last year, the Mariners Trust have been working alongside the club to have a dedicated standing section incorporated into any future plans for the new ground.As reported, GTFC has announced three consultation events as the club bids to have the project included within North East Lincolnshire Council's Local Plan.The first of these events take place tomorrow at the proposed site."

I say: Yes, definitely. I stand in the pontoon and enjoy standing with fellow fans, supporting the club I love vocally, with songs and chants. I've grazed my shins many times on the seats whilst jumping around celebrating a goal or victory. Or even jumping up when the game gets exciting. I think there should be the best of both worlds, sort of speak; Seated sections for those who like to sit, and standing sections, for those who like to stand.

What do you guys think?

Read more at http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.u.....#cqQl77YIsbPw85Ys.99

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/mvnser.png[/IMG]
Logged Offline
Private Message
BIGChris
February 22, 2015, 8:18pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
It's a no brainer.

I saw a sample of safe standing areas at a fans summit at St George's Park 18 months or so ago and it looks good. The areas for safe sanding can easily  be converted to seating if needs be. Think doing it properly may be expensive and that may put the mockers on it however legislation may allow for just standing moving forward.

If we could move quickly perhaps we could be a 'trial' for safe standing and get the thing funded?
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
grimsby pete
February 22, 2015, 8:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I think if it was all seating at Barnet we would have lost a lot of the atmosphere  generated behind the goal,

The sooner we get our new stadium with standing behind the goal the better,

I always like to sit myself,

BUT

I understand why some like to stand,

The lads were a credit to the club,

Its a pity we can not have that at home games in the Ponny.

Take the seats out and let the lads rock and roll behind the goal.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
headingly_mariner
February 22, 2015, 8:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Well that is a real positive, standing would be a massive plus!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
HackneyHaddock
February 22, 2015, 8:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
As I understand, as a conference/League 2 club, there shouldn't be a problem with terracing at all.  As the law is written, there would be nothing to prevent the club building a 20,000-place Kop-style terrace behind the goal if it so wished.  Directors of the club have said that standing areas will be incorporated in the new ground and the Trust are backing this, so it seems to be almost a certainty that some form of terracing will feature in a new ground.

Any caution on the club's part can only be down to potential future cost of retro-fitting seats if we were to go up to the Championship.  I also think that as we are still trying to get planning permission and get the project approved, any talk of terracing is premature and a distraction from the main thrust of the club's offering, namely that the new ground is a community asset that will serve as a sporting, leisure, educational and housing hub.

The arguments for offering fans a choice of seating or standing are irrefutable.  The fans want it and the club wants it.  I would expect that any new ground would have a home terrace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
grimsby pete
February 22, 2015, 8:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
If and only if we get back into the championship,

Safe standing need not be turned back into seating for two season I believe,

The extra income we would get by being in the championship would pay for the change,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
BIGChris
February 22, 2015, 8:48pm
Season Ticket Holder
Not sure everyone has grasped the difference between safe standing and terracing
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
TAGG
February 22, 2015, 9:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
There has been a lot said on here about the crap atmos for home games and to me the way to generate more of an atmosphere is to take the seats out of the Pontoon and lower Smiths and charge a tenner to stand.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
cjbill
February 22, 2015, 10:15pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +215
Quoted from BIGChris
It's a no brainer.

I saw a sample of safe standing areas at a fans summit at St George's Park 18 months or so ago and it looks good. The areas for safe sanding can easily  be converted to seating if needs be. Think doing it properly may be expensive and that may put the mockers on it however legislation may allow for just standing moving forward.

If we could move quickly perhaps we could be a 'trial' for safe standing and get the thing funded?

Is this the sort of thing you mean BC?
http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/what-does-safe-standing-look-like/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
BIGChris
February 22, 2015, 10:39pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from cjbill

Yes, that is what I understand safe standing to be. Terracing as we know it is simply standing!
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
FishOutOfWater
February 23, 2015, 1:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from grimsby pete
I think if it was all seating at Barnet we would have lost a lot of the atmosphere  generated behind the goal,

The sooner we get our new stadium with standing behind the goal the better,

I always like to sit myself,

BUT

I understand why some like to stand,

The lads were a credit to the club,

Its a pity we can not have that at home games in the Ponny.

Take the seats out and let the lads rock and roll behind the goal.

Like the sound of that Pete..could become a catch phrase

rock and roll behind the goal

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 16
moosey_club
February 23, 2015, 2:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Pretty sure we could just have terracing at the level we are at, no need for particular clever systems that can be adapted for future use, just build a stand with concrete steps adequately sized for retro fitting of seats. If we achieve a level of football where they are needed one would think revenue streams would be on the up enough to gradually fill in the terraces.
In the home end leave the central strip free of seats for standing area behind the goal, seat the rest. At the away end do similar but design in various segregation points so that when the 30 away fans arrive they get cr@p seats in a corner allowing the home fans to change ends or populate both ends.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
BIGChris
February 23, 2015, 2:33pm
Season Ticket Holder
My view is that regardless of standing the away fans are in a corner and not behind the goal
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
Paris Mariner
February 23, 2015, 3:45pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Bring it back. Saturday showed you what a 1000 people stood up can do. Great atmosphere and no trouble.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 16
MeanwoodMariner
February 23, 2015, 4:06pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I heard an in-depth debate on safe-standing a while ago and the only opponents to it were Liverpool fans bringing up the Hillsborough tragedy despite unequivocal assurances that a similar disaster would be impossible with the new designs. Even optimistic fans like myself believe a return to Championship level football is at least two and a half years away so it may be allowed by then anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
LH
February 23, 2015, 4:18pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Could we be awarded a grant or something if we agreed to be used as a test case for safe standing?
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
blundellpork
February 23, 2015, 7:30pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,645
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from BIGChris
My view is that regardless of standing the away fans are in a corner and not behind the goal

Personally, I hate seeing away fans rammed into a corner- I much prefer an away 'end'. That goes for being in it as an away fan, but also being at home and seeing the away fans.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.