View from the oppo

This thread currently has 2,266 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
BarnetBrad
February 21, 2015, 10:54pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +70
Hi all, made the effort to register on here just to congratulate you lot on probably the most enjoyable game of football that I've been to where Barnet have lost - which is quite something when I had my heart fall through the floor with your 2nd goal. Gutted, but entertained. Great travelling support and if I'm right the biggest following we've had at the Hive since we moved. Thanks to all the fans who traveled for making it a great atmosphere and conducting yourself so well. When I saw the numbers and the inflatables etc I had visions of Luton fans acting stupid, but conducted yourselves great. The group I met on the tube going home were really polite and friendly too. Not a bad word to say about your traveling fans today. Loved the dino and the zimmerframe by the way!

I'm annoyed though. Why not perform like that against Rovers? We were awful today and have been for way too long now, but despite the misplaced passes, despite the mistake leading to the goal, despite the horrible obvious long balls, we still would've lost that first half. Our LB is normally reasonably solid, but Mackreth and LJL teamed up on him to great effect. Jolley looked decent and Arnold was dangerous. Those 4 on form is frightening for any team, I reckon. 2nd half was better but football being football, there had to be an injury time sucker punch in there. Deserved based on the first half, harsh based on the second.

Anyway, I don't want to take too much of your time, just wanted to say well done for contributing to a funny allround day of football today (mixed performance, horrid result, great atmosphere) and to wish you the best of luck for the playoffs and the rest of the season (presuming we don't play you there!) as on that performance you were the best team that I saw play at the Hive, by a long way. If you've any questions that I might be able to help with or you want my opinion further, feel free to ask! Thanks lads.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Caesar
February 21, 2015, 11:01pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
Quoted from BarnetBrad
Hi all, made the effort to register on here just to congratulate you lot on probably the most enjoyable game of football that I've been to where Barnet have lost - which is quite something when I had my heart fall through the floor with your 2nd goal. Gutted, but entertained. Great travelling support and if I'm right the biggest following we've had at the Hive since we moved. Thanks to all the fans who traveled for making it a great atmosphere and conducting yourself so well. When I saw the numbers and the inflatables etc I had visions of Luton fans acting stupid, but conducted yourselves great. The group I met on the tube going home were really polite and friendly too. Not a bad word to say about your traveling fans today. Loved the dino and the zimmerframe by the way!

I'm annoyed though. Why not perform like that against Rovers? We were awful today and have been for way too long now, but despite the misplaced passes, despite the mistake leading to the goal, despite the horrible obvious long balls, we still would've lost that first half. Our LB is normally reasonably solid, but Mackreth and LJL teamed up on him to great effect. Jolley looked decent and Arnold was dangerous. Those 4 on form is frightening for any team, I reckon. 2nd half was better but football being football, there had to be an injury time sucker punch in there. Deserved based on the first half, harsh based on the second.

Anyway, I don't want to take too much of your time, just wanted to say well done for contributing to a funny allround day of football today (mixed performance, horrid result, great atmosphere) and to wish you the best of luck for the playoffs and the rest of the season (presuming we don't play you there!) as on that performance you were the best team that I saw play at the Hive, by a long way. If you've any questions that I might be able to help with or you want my opinion further, feel free to ask! Thanks lads.

I think we are equally frustrated we can't do that against Rovers as well!!  Cheers for registering and commenting, got to say felt the officals at your club did you proud too, handled the crowd superbly and ensured the atmosphere was fun and positive as well.  Obviously had a great day out so hope we can have some more next year with the obvious addition of being in the league!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
Mariner Timsky
February 21, 2015, 11:04pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
Gold Stars: 4
Appreciate the positive comments Brad, , we are just like you frustrated we couldn't get the result v Brovers, , but who knows with a different set officials it could of been a different result.

Did we sound loud!? Any pics from the home end??

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
promotion plaice
February 21, 2015, 11:08pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/2djs29i.jpg[/IMG]

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
BarnetBrad
February 21, 2015, 11:41pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +70
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Appreciate the positive comments Brad, , we are just like you frustrated we couldn't get the result v Brovers, , but who knows with a different set officials it could of been a different result.

Did we sound loud!? Any pics from the home end??

Very loud mate, singing loud and going mental the whole game. Looked like you lot were having a great time and I wish I could've been in the same situation! There's a number of reason why we don't have a great support but I can't find one to explain why our fans are so quiet, or require a reason to get behind the team. I didn't take any pics personally but there's quite a few on twitter. Looked a right site with all the little inflatables bouncing everywhere
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
KingstonMariner
February 22, 2015, 12:50am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from BarnetBrad

Very loud mate, singing loud and going mental the whole game. Looked like you lot were having a great time and I wish I could've been in the same situation! There's a number of reason why we don't have a great support but I can't find one to explain why our fans are so quiet, or require a reason to get behind the team. I didn't take any pics personally but there's quite a few on twitter. Looked a right site with all the little inflatables bouncing everywhere

Thanks for taking the time to comment Brad.

I know on their day Barnet can be noisy - went to a few of your home games during your last promotion from the Conference and stood in that covered terrace at Underhill. Cracking atmosphere and some characters in there. Nice to hear "we're on our way" getting an airing today. Was it really 10 years?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
nickmariners
February 22, 2015, 11:15am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4
I always appreciate and admire it that fans support the so-called 'little teams' here in London.  If you live in or near Barnet, the temptation to be just another Spurs or Arsenal fan must be enormous (as Roy Hodgson politely put it on telly the other night, "we all know that the premiership is just a European league that happens to be played in England").   To my grumpy old soul it somehow seems more commendable to get behind the Barnets and Wellings of this world.

Which is not to say I don't want us to climb the leagues and meet the big teams more regularly....again...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
Marinerz93
February 22, 2015, 1:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I think it is tough for the likes of Barnet and to some extent unfashionable Wimbledon being surrounded by top flight clubs.  I think we all know the fans of Barnet and the likes of Wimbledon are true football fans.

Thanks for your comments BarnetBrad, it seems you have made one hell of an impression with the fishy, +50 on your two posts so far, amazing.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › View from the oppo

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.