This thread currently has 2,474 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
February 14, 2015, 10:25am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
There was talk a while ago of some sort of vote to make The Conference/League 2 into 3 up, 3 down. Did this ever happen or is this vote going to happen.

I know that the teams in the lower half of League 2 are hardly going to vote this in but it does seem pretty ridiculous that you can finish 2nd in The Conference and not get promoted, whereas you can finish 7th in League 2 and still go up.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Maringer
February 14, 2015, 10:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Unfortunately, I tend to doubt that any of the lower League clubs would agree to this. It would be like Turkeys voting for Christmas, especially as I believe they are due to get a lot more money from 'solidarity payments' from the new Premiershite deal which begins next year?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 8
PB
February 14, 2015, 11:01am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +256
Gold Stars: 3
Realistically it will stay two up two down, so why not abandon the playoffs and return to the top two get promoted!
Simples
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 8
grimsby pete
February 14, 2015, 11:09am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from PB
Realistically it will stay two up two down, so why not abandon the playoffs and return to the top two get promoted!
Simples

I would vote for that,

BUT

The clubs will not.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 8
aldi_01
February 14, 2015, 1:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The playoffs make the season last longer and it could be argued that they make it more competitive.

If the top two went up our first season we reached the playoffs would've been over in February.

It should be 3 up 3 down but that's never likely to happen

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 8
February 14, 2015, 1:50pm
Guest User
If and when we ever get back to proper football, we certainly wouldn't vote fot it. Rightly so IMO as the real league is already full of pub teams like Fleetwood and their ilk. I can understand why Town fans would want three up, three down but are we getting desperate now after 5 years in this pathetic league? We are where we deserve to be after calamitous decision making at board level, I think we will have a 1 in 4 chance at the end of the season, out third on the spin so let's hope we strike lucky sooner rather than later. I think it's a disgrace we haven't really genuinely been in the run for the league title in half a decade in this cesspit.

Lots more X's coming no doubt but there you go.
Reply: 5 - 8
DocTower
February 14, 2015, 3:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Where does this fare play payment come in ?   F/ Green  , Eastleigh , Gateshead etc with crowds less than  1000 although they could get promotion how can they sustain payments to players .  Sugar daddy's are all well and good , but its not a good business strategy . I see that Deon Burton from scunny is playing for Eastleigh . Again he won't be playing for nothing , but the home attendance I doubt would cover it .

My point being , should there be a cut off minimum home attendance guarantee . Football finances seem secretive , but too many clubs spending beyond their limit has already ruined the game .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 8
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
February 14, 2015, 3:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Yes but surely league 1 clubs would get a vote too, as it would make sense to make it three up three down right the way through the division rather than 4 down 4 up then 2 up two down
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 8
rancido
February 15, 2015, 1:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,446
Gold Stars: 91
The positive thing for 3 up and 3 down , as far as League 2 is concerned , is that it would be easier to bounce back up again. If the "parachute " payment was extended for 2 or 3 seasons and more generous then this would lessen the fear of relegation out of the league. The FA and FL could re-introduce a Football League of 92 clubs , with the Premiersh*t as a separate entity.
I certainly don't like this attitude of describing the likes of Fleetwood as " pub teams " or categorising clubs by their attendance. All clubs are in their respective leagues by merit , regardless of how they are funded. How would fans feel if we went up the leagues and were refused promotion because our attendances didn't match what was expected? We certainly couldn't match the average attendance of most clubs in the Championship ( and never really did when we last played at that level). In fact we prided ourselves on taking on " the big boys " at that level and often beating them. The whole football structure in this country needs seriously looking at with a mind to some radical-restructuring. I just don't think the FA and FL have the " balls " to do it.  

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 3 up, 3 down

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.