4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Maringer
February 4, 2015, 4:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,658
Gold Stars: 189
Well, my views are certainly coloured as I also think he's a bit of a dodgy geezer. I've heard one or two stories from people who should be in the know which would indicate he was more than a little bit lucky to get away with it a couple of years ago.

Erm, allegedly.  

As a manager, I think he's OK, but doesn't deserve anywhere near the credit he receives and his record does stand for itself - no great achievements anywhere he's been and, as DHM notes above, he didn't exactly inherit a weak squad at Spurs. I was pretty disgusted by some of the press coverage when he wasn't appointed England manager - some proper hatchet jobs on Hodgson and Redknapp's mates in the press continued to harp on about it for some time, as did 'Arry in his autobiography the other year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
Caesar
February 4, 2015, 5:06pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from diehardmariner
On the Bale subject, it was AVB who then gave Bale a more central role which in many eyes cemented as the real deal rather than a bit of a flash-in-the-pan.  Of course, 'Arry tries to take credit for this one too.

He denies it but 'Arry was heavily rumoured to be ready to offload Bale to Birmingham for something like £5million at the height of the hysteria that Bale was a jinx who Spurs couldn't win with in the team.

Credit is due for his time at Spurs where he did play an exciting style of football and it was a joy to watch Spurs give bloody noses to some of Europe's bigger teams.  Nothing quite beats a side just going for it and not worrying about the opposition.  However he took over with Spurs in a ridiculously false position in the bottom 3 and built on the decent base already established by Ramos, he didn't build that team from scratch. Far from it.

I think the majority of people have a gripe with the fact that Redknapp is adored by his mates in the media rather than the bloke himself.  

It's a fair point to say he can't be blamed for the financial position he leaves clubs in, that is down to the men who sign the cheques.  Ultimately though he's a walking time-bomb in terms of financial stability.  I wouldn't want him anywhere near my club.

That is a fair enough point about Bale, I am not trying to suggest he should take all the credit and I heard that about Harry trying to sell him early on whcih would have been a blunder, often makes me think how many potential stars teams have missed out on.  Also to be fair while I really don't like AVB he does have to take huge credit for moving Bale into the middle.

See your point about the media as well, I think I am quite defensive of him though as we seem very much more willing to bash English managers for any failure and embrace foriegn managers at a moments notice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
KingstonMariner
February 4, 2015, 11:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It's not that we're ready to embrace foreign managers at a moment's notice, it's just that we're so much more badly served with our home grown crop. If 'Arry's our best, gawd 'ell us.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
diehardmariner
February 5, 2015, 9:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Caesar

See your point about the media as well, I think I am quite defensive of him though as we seem very much more willing to bash English managers for any failure and embrace foriegn managers at a moments notice.

Not sure I agree with that.

I think the vast majority of football fans are delighted to see the likes of Sean Dyche in the Premiership.  Whilst I'd agree that big name foreign managers are often fawned over with every word hung onto,  Mourinho a classic example, I get the impression there's a general apathy to the influx of unheard of foreign managers.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
biggles9999
February 5, 2015, 9:39am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from diehardmariner

Not sure I agree with that.

I think the vast majority of football fans are delighted to see the likes of Sean Dyche in the Premiership.  Whilst I'd agree that big name foreign managers are often fawned over with every word hung onto,  Mourinho a classic example, I get the impression there's a general apathy to the influx of unheard of foreign managers.

Evidenced by the reaction when West Brom appointed Pepe Mel last year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
ginnywings
February 5, 2015, 9:55am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/harrys-game.html

Interesting read on the way 'Arry operates. Christ, he's one spiv.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 'Arry gone

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.