2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
January 30, 2015, 12:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I get the argument about punching above our weight, but just playing devil's advocate you could say that we were able to attract Championship quality players when we competed in the Championship.

And that we've only been able to attract Conference standard players while in the Conference.

I agree it's not as simple as that (our budgets were small in the Championship and large in the Conference). Which makes statistics like these very difficult to prove anything - clinically - one way or another.

But they're useful to give a general indication of how our managers have performed. Generally, you'd say, Hurst has done well.

But if you're measuring performance on whether we win titles, then he's just as useless as most of the rest!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
ginnywings
January 30, 2015, 1:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from RichMariner
I get the argument about punching above our weight, but just playing devil's advocate you could say that we were able to attract Championship quality players when we competed in the Championship.

And that we've only been able to attract Conference standard players while in the Conference.

I agree it's not as simple as that (our budgets were small in the Championship and large in the Conference). Which makes statistics like these very difficult to prove anything - clinically - one way or another.

But they're useful to give a general indication of how our managers have performed. Generally, you'd say, Hurst has done well.

But if you're measuring performance on whether we win titles, then he's just as useless as most of the rest!

I thought the same, but also came to the same conclusion. The lower down the pyramid we go, the bigger we get in respect of that league. We are one of the giants in the conference and even with a mediocre manager can easily compete, but doing that in league 1 and Championship is more difficult when you are competing against the likes of Derby and the Sheffield clubs for instance. What Buckley did was far more astonishing than what Hurst's achievements would be if he got us promoted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
GrimRob
January 30, 2015, 2:29pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings

I thought the same, but also came to the same conclusion. The lower down the pyramid we go, the bigger we get in respect of that league. We are one of the giants in the conference and even with a mediocre manager can easily compete, but doing that in league 1 and Championship is more difficult when you are competing against the likes of Derby and the Sheffield clubs for instance. What Buckley did was far more astonishing than what Hurst's achievements would be if he got us promoted.

I agree the table only tells half the story. Whoever is manager in the Conference you'd expect to feature fairly highly in this table, and whoever is manager in the Championship fairly lowly. It really needs weighting according to our average gate relative to the divisional average, which is a fairly good reflection of spending power (though not perfect as the crowd goes up and down in accordance with league position). I'd like to see a chart with an x-axis of spending power (i.e. our crowd/divisional average) and a y-axis of win ratio, and a best-fit straight line drawn though the data. Anyone above the line would be a better than average manager and below the line worse than average.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 14
Maringer
January 30, 2015, 3:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from RichMariner

Championship-quality players and Knut Anders Fostervold.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 14
Jaws
January 30, 2015, 4:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
More ganes than George Kerr - I just hope RH don't get him on commentary a few years down the line!
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Managerial Stats - Grimsby Town

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.