Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anyone caught out at Christmas with rail delays?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 201 Guests

Anyone caught out at Christmas with rail delays?

This thread currently has 1,442 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Southwark Mariner
January 28, 2015, 12:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
An excellent summary of the Network Rail report into the engineering overruns:

http://www.londonreconnections.com/2015/know-run-story-behind-xmas-kings-cross-problems/

Logged Offline
Private Message
cmackenzie4
January 28, 2015, 12:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Locals will be disrupted this coming Christmas too, there is a 17 day blockade (no trains just a bus service) starting 24th December 2015 due to the North East Lincs re signalling programme, which ultimately will put me out of a job along with another 40-60 signallers.

Apparantly the work is to be completed over a 17 day period (they hope)

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
FishOutOfWater
January 28, 2015, 1:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Locals will be disrupted this coming Christmas too, there is a 17 day blockade (no trains just a bus service) starting 24th December 2015 due to the North East Lincs re signalling programme, which ultimately will put me out of a job along with another 40-60 signallers.

Why do I get the feeling you're not quite sure this will happen Chris?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 7
cmackenzie4
January 28, 2015, 2:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Why do I get the feeling you're not quite sure this will happen Chris?  

I was a little sceptical at first Tim but from what I am seeing now (with regarding the work) I think they will go ahead with it all but it's a big ask to have it all up and running into the Rail Operating Centre at York within 17 days, we are talking the removal of all the boxes (with the exception of the Barton line and Immingham boxes) from Cleethorpes to Scunthorpe, Scunthorpe and Doncaster will eventually be transferred to York too in the coming years.

We are not being told anything at the moment Tim with regarding jobs or Compulsory redundancies, we are being kept in the dark by the union and Network Rail Top management.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
Les Brechin
January 29, 2015, 7:24am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
I traveled back from London on the Sunday after Christmas (the day of the Lincoln home game).

Instead of leaving from King's Cross, the Hull Train that I was booked on left from St.Pancras. When it left St.Pancras is traveled west to West Hampstead where it stopped for about 5 minutes and then began going backwards the other way to avoid the works. Although the journey to Doncaster took over 30 minutes longer than normal, it was scheduled into the timetable and the train arrived bang on time at Doncaster.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
Les Brechin
January 29, 2015, 7:26am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Great, I always travel to my brothers in Surrey after finishing work on Christmas Eve!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
Southwark Mariner
January 29, 2015, 10:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Useful to know thanks. Less of an annoyance knowing a long time in advance re having to get a bus back after Christmas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
FishOutOfWater
February 2, 2015, 6:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I was a little sceptical at first Tim but from what I am seeing now (with regarding the work) I think they will go ahead with it all but it's a big ask to have it all up and running into the Rail Operating Centre at York within 17 days, we are talking the removal of all the boxes (with the exception of the Barton line and Immingham boxes) from Cleethorpes to Scunthorpe, Scunthorpe and Doncaster will eventually be transferred to York too in the coming years.

We are not being told anything at the moment Tim with regarding jobs or Compulsory redundancies, we are being kept in the dark by the union and Network Rail Top management.

Just seen your reply Chris...must be a concern that things are coming to a head but not a particularly clear picture so can understand you're in some kind of limbo

Are there other positions in Network Rail that you could (re)train for or are you just expected to sit tight and then take your chances?

I know I'm looking from the outside in but to me this smacks of someone's dream of how things should be so it's going to be rolled out whether anyone wants it or not and sod the consequences for the network and more importantly for people like yourself whose livelihood stands to be affected

Just hope that it all works out for you and your colleagues...time will tell  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anyone caught out at Christmas with rail delays?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.