3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Jarmo.Is.God
January 9, 2015, 4:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Bored of talking about Ched Evans ect now.

so what are your views on Young Fans ?

i would predict 75% of fans are over 25+ on a match day.

this is a big problem IMO.

if a kids parents are not into watching the Mariners, but the kid wants to, they are not going to pay the £6 for Under 14 or £12 for under 18.

I am only 22 now, and about 5-6 years ago i use to go with 4 friends, every week, but since we reached the 18 age, there is no chance of my mates paying the £18 to get in.

I am lucky enough that my dad is a life long town fan to go with, otherwise i would no longer be going.

Walsall do the perfect offer IMO. I believe its £48 for a young adult season ticket, but on a match day they receive £2.
so they basically pay nothing for the season.

Family tickets, why not do 2 adults, 2 kids, £30, this in the upper findus would normally cost £48 !!!

why should a family pay £48 to watch Grimsby Vs Woking, Braintree Ect...

i can see in 10 years time us getting 2000- fans unless we start attracting more fans !

thoughts ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Jaws
January 9, 2015, 4:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
The club offer a student discount in the pontoon, present an NUS card and you get in for £10
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
dapperz fun pub
January 9, 2015, 5:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Bored of talking about Ched Evans ect now.

so what are your views on Young Fans ?

i would predict 75% of fans are over 25+ on a match day.

this is a big problem IMO.

if a kids parents are not into watching the Mariners, but the kid wants to, they are not going to pay the £6 for Under 14 or £12 for under 18.

I am only 22 now, and about 5-6 years ago i use to go with 4 friends, every week, but since we reached the 18 age, there is no chance of my mates paying the £18 to get in.

I am lucky enough that my dad is a life long town fan to go with, otherwise i would no longer be going.

Walsall do the perfect offer IMO. I believe its £48 for a young adult season ticket, but on a match day they receive £2.
so they basically pay nothing for the season.

Family tickets, why not do 2 adults, 2 kids, £30, this in the upper findus would normally cost £48 !!!

why should a family pay £48 to watch Grimsby Vs Woking, Braintree Ect...

i can see in 10 years time us getting 2000- fans unless we start attracting more fans !

thoughts ?

I like the Walsall idea anything to get kids in the cathedral I'm all for
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
Nelly GTFC
January 9, 2015, 5:35pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,736
Gold Stars: 31
When we was in the League 1 / Championship, I could easily remember over 50 people who went every week never miss in the lower smiths, I used to be season ticket with two friends.

Neither have gone since we dropped out the league and all you hear on Facebook now is Liverpool this, Liverpool that - "**** off!", and of those 50 or so people I knew who went none go, majority have kids.  

Some work Saturdays and can't make it anyway.

See it all the time on Facebook, people from Grimsby buying their toddlers, teens etc Man City / Man Utd / Arsenal / Liverpool tops, brainwashed already into supporting teams that have no afiliation with where they are from.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
Caesar
January 9, 2015, 5:49pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Surely a lot of it is down to us not being very good?

I always admire our young fans as I am 28 and think I have a tough lot being a Town fan, but I have seen us play for a fair amount of time in what is now the championship and have a double Wembley success to remember, fans who have not even got that to hold onto I can only admire further.  

If we are wanting to attract young fans to come without success then I gues slashing prices is the best way to do it, I certainly like the idea of buying a season ticket that gives you some money back every time you go, sounds like a good way to get people hooked to keep coming back.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
Hagrid
January 9, 2015, 7:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,392
Gold Stars: 534
I'm 19 and love going. None of my friends go. There is no passion about gtfc with anyone i know
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
MarinerWY
January 9, 2015, 7:45pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
The biggest barrier for young fans IMO is not our league position, it is the ticket prices.

We have  25% youth unemployment (under 25s) and I imagine a significant propotion of that other 75% are working in jobs of zero hour contracts, minimum wage positions, or well well below the average salary (or studying). This is a usual trait with under 25's but is especially exsaperated with the crisis, and it is well documented that the current generation of young people will be a lot less well off than their parents.

Taking all this into account, why don't we have an under-25 price? A tenner in for the Pontoon?

I'm not a fan of just aiming the discount at students, many students with the student maintenence loan admittedly don't have much to play with, but neither does a 21 year old getting by on minimum wage, especially without guarenteed hours.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
ska face
January 9, 2015, 7:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
I don't think the price is the main barrier, especially when you look at the fact that there are people who have been watching the club for 10 years now and the best thing they've seen is Slade's lot losing in Cardiff.

Wembley was 17 years ago. There are a large number of people watching the club who weren't even born then. The poor illegitimates.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
Caesar
January 9, 2015, 8:01pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from MarinerWY
The biggest barrier for young fans IMO is not our league position, it is the ticket prices.

We have  25% youth unemployment (under 25s) and I imagine a significant propotion of that other 75% are working in jobs of zero hour contracts, minimum wage positions, or well well below the average salary (or studying). This is a usual trait with under 25's but is especially exsaperated with the crisis, and it is well documented that the current generation of young people will be a lot less well off than their parents.

Taking all this into account, why don't we have an under-25 price? A tenner in for the Pontoon?

I'm not a fan of just aiming the discount at students, many students with the student maintenence loan admittedly don't have much to play with, but neither does a 21 year old getting by on minimum wage, especially without guarenteed hours.

Spot on!  I was a student for more than a few years and don't get me wrong, I loved student discount but it seems very unfair.  I think it is done though because students are a group that can be easily recognised and identified, there is no union for just being in a low paying job sadly!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
BIGChris
January 9, 2015, 8:18pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
I hope that there will be a young persons season ticket (18-21/22) next season. Didnt quite get it passed for this season but hopefully the additional information that has been gathered will mean it gets the go ahead.

In the 70's most people left school by 16 and many more by 18 meaning they were in regular full time employment. The world has changed and a much lower % are earning a decent level of income. If the club is to have a future then, having got them interested as younger kids, they must not let them walk away (rarely to return) because of pricing whilst they are in full time education or training type jobs with low income. Keep them through this period and they are more likely to stay for life(why should they not suffer like us older ones have had too! )
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Young Fans

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.