Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cleethorpes air show gone!
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 148 Guests

Cleethorpes air show gone!

This thread currently has 2,203 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
December 18, 2014, 10:32am
Guest User
Council confirm we can't afford to stage it anymore, rumour is its going to hull.
I really hope this councils days are numbered it's just one intercourse up after another with them typical labour I expect no less.
zorro_is_a_Mariner
December 18, 2014, 10:59am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
If we made 7.5 million from it surely the council could of partly funded it instead of letting it go somewhere else ? This is the thing with this town we get something good have it a couple of years then let it to somewhere else, does my heading, it brought family's and  the community plus lots of tourist together for a weekend. It was amazing last years show and yet again we lose something good for the town.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
Maringer
December 18, 2014, 11:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from 2578
Council confirm we can't afford to stage it anymore, rumour is its going to hull.
I really hope this councils days are numbered it's just one intercourse up after another with them typical labour I expect no less.

Ha ha! You're a funny guy, trying to blame Labour for the enormous cuts in funding by the Conservative-led government!

Here's a pertinent news story to read, "Councils braced for funding cuts":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30524122

A useful quote from that story:

Quoted Text
The National Audit Office (NAO) estimates that by 2016, government funding for local government will have dropped in real terms by 37% since 2010.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
acko338
December 18, 2014, 6:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
I'm one of the organisers on the Committee of the Cleethorpes Air Show, I advise and run H&S for the event, and there won't be one anywhere in 2015, due to no authority being able to guarantee pre-funding for up front required costs of over £85,000.

Required elements that HAVE to be in place prior to committing to running the show - licensing and liability insurance costs - over £12,000 alone - hire in of the actual display attractions like the Red Arrows, Red Devils, particular acrobatic acts, plane fuel costs, accommodation for all pilots and crews staying locally, local small airport costs, first aid cover - ambulances, staffing, resources needed, and external security personnel, fencing etc, toilet provision as well.

The rough estimate provided independently by the local police force was that over 270,000 attended the area to view the show over two days.

If 10,000 of that full amount had given £15 each to become "Friends of the Cleethorpes Air Show" via the website, then the show could have gone ahead.

Similarly the fuel costs could have been covered if visitors had bought the souvenir programmes over the weekend, and if the local places letting vehicles park up on private grounds had passed on ANY of their fees or sold programmes for he Show benefit, then less of a loss on the production costs would have occurred.

Because of the totally open viewing areas, the Committee cannot charge like the Waddington Air Show does for entry to a private area.

So, with no other financial input from Cleethorpes attractions or shops to help draw in finances, there was no alternative but to cancel the 2015 show !

The Committee are reviewing ways to have a show somewhere along the East Coast in 2016, but the planes available for summer 2015 shows have now long gone into the firm bookings for other national areas.

Just thought folks need to know the facts !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
psgmariner
December 19, 2014, 1:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Really disappointing news.

Great explanation from acko - thanks for sharing.

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
KingstonMariner
December 23, 2014, 12:10am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
acko, any reliable estimates of the additional revenue brought in to Cleethorpes by the show? Local businesses must have done well out of it, and £85k doesn't sound a lot of money relative to the crowds it attracted.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
acko338
December 23, 2014, 6:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211

How it is shared - i don't know. but estimates made are that the local economy is raised by over £7 million over the weekend overall - sounds a lot to me, but ....?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
pizzzza
January 2, 2015, 12:04pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
A real shame. 85k seems like peanuts if it really is generating 7mil. Surely if the organisers had come out a couple of months ago to say they were struggling the cash could have been raised somehow?

Hopefully something can be done for 2016.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cleethorpes air show gone!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.