ackomariner
December 9, 2014, 10:24pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from mariner91

It's not anyone's job on here to choose an alternative but unless there is one so blatantly obvious and available, why would we risk gambling in our current position? In the mix, good defence, good run of form. Not ideal but a decent place to be. Why get in a new manager and put it all at risk with everything still to play for? You used the games in hand stick to beat PH earlier but after tonight's results if we win ours we would go either third or second depending on Macc, that is a good position.

My opinion for the reason we don't beat teams below us is that we've not got the right striker playing against them. LJL is fantastic against teams who will come at you because he can hold it up and cause them problems taking the pressure off our defence. Against teams who will park the bus he lacks the finesse and finishing often required. Not always, he did it against Braintree, but too often. I'd like to think Pittman could be the man to get us beating those teams but he needs to remain fit and get a good run of games going. If that isn't possible, then a striker who will get us beating those teams lower down is the only thing stopping us catching Barnet.

But he can't attract that striker can he, so left with a forward line that isn't good enough

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 51
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 9, 2014, 10:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mariner91

It's not anyone's job on here to choose an alternative but unless there is one so blatantly obvious and available, why would we risk gambling in our current position? In the mix, good defence, good run of form. Not ideal but a decent place to be. Why get in a new manager and put it all at risk with everything still to play for? You used the games in hand stick to beat PH earlier but after tonight's results if we win ours we would go either third or second depending on Macc, that is a good position.

My opinion for the reason we don't beat teams below us is that we've not got the right striker playing against them. LJL is fantastic against teams who will come at you because he can hold it up and cause them problems taking the pressure off our defence. Against teams who will park the bus he lacks the finesse and finishing often required. Not always, he did it against Braintree, but too often. I'd like to think Pittman could be the man to get us beating those teams but he needs to remain fit and get a good run of games going. If that isn't possible, then a striker who will get us beating those teams lower down is the only thing stopping us catching Barnet.

Well there you go then. It's all hunky dory isn't it? We are in the mix. Wonderful. Let's all be happy with that. The manager and the team seem to be happy with that too so we'll all sleep well tonight. Who knows, we might even dream that we beat Telford and Altrincham.

Sorry, that might be good enough for some but it ain't good enough for me.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 51
mariner91
December 9, 2014, 10:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,641
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from ackomariner

But he can't attract that striker can he, so left with a forward line that isn't good enough

He got Hearn here. He got Pittman here (I will concede before it's pointed out, probably due to his injury record). LJL isn't a terrible striker. Many thought Hannah would be the striker we crave and if we managed to get his loan form back he maybe could be (though I think this is unlikely). Our strikers aren't bad, but not quite good enough to make us the best team in the league. I was hoping in the summer we'd be in for Akinde, he is the sole difference between ourselves and Barnet in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 51
mariner91
December 9, 2014, 10:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Well there you go then. It's all hunky dory isn't it? We are in the mix. Wonderful. Let's all be happy with that. The manager and the team seem to be happy with that too so we'll all sleep well tonight. Who knows, we might even dream that we beat Telford and Altrincham.

Sorry, that might be good enough for some but it ain't good enough for me.

Conveniently you either choose to not read what I wrote or to misquote it. I said it's not ideal. Ideally we'd be walking away with this league. But until more than one automatic promotion spot becomes available, the odds of being the team in that spot are pretty slim. Therefore, to still be in with a chance of promotion and to be comfortably sat in the play offs, is acceptable. Not ideal; acceptable. We have no divine right to be at the top of the table and to demand nothing other than that is frankly ridiculous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 51
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 9, 2014, 10:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Conveniently you either choose to not read what I wrote or to misquote it. I said it's not ideal. Ideally we'd be walking away with this league. But until more than one automatic promotion spot becomes available, the odds of being the team in that spot are pretty slim. Therefore, to still be in with a chance of promotion and to be comfortably sat in the play offs, is acceptable. Not ideal; acceptable. We have no divine right to be at the top of the table and to demand nothing other than that is frankly ridiculous.

No more ridiculous than accepting it is OK (but not ideal) to be in the mix pratting about waiting to see if we can finish above the mighty Woking. We have every right to be at the top of the table. Who would have said Barnet would be the pacesetters? The league this year was always going to be the most open since we came into it. I don't think it is at all unreasonable to demand that we are at least on a par with Barnet.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 51
Garth
December 10, 2014, 10:44am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from mariner91

Is it though? He who dares wins etc etc, I just want us to be and sound more arrogant in and around the club even if we fall short,  say Win enough times  then folks get to believe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 51
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 10, 2014, 11:54am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Garth
[/b]

Is it though? He who dares wins etc etc, I just want us to be and sound more arrogant in and around the club even if we fall short,  say Win enough times  then folks get to believe

Indeed. Too many people are asking "why?" instead of "why not?".

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 51
arryarryarry
December 10, 2014, 1:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from mariner91

Why, surely we are one of the favourites every season especially considering our budget is likely to be at least in the top 5.

Also when you look at the recent record of clubs being relegated why are Barnet at the moment bucking that trend.

You should also be asking how clubs with part-time players, low crowds and much smaller budgets are able to compete near the top of the table.

Come the end of the season and we fail to go up then that responsibility must lay with the manager and the players he has signed.

Private Message
Reply: 37 - 51
mariner91
December 10, 2014, 3:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Why, surely we are one of the favourites every season especially considering our budget is likely to be at least in the top 5.

Also when you look at the recent record of clubs being relegated why are Barnet at the moment bucking that trend.

You should also be asking how clubs with part-time players, low crowds and much smaller budgets are able to compete near the top of the table.

Come the end of the season and we fail to go up then that responsibility must lay with the manager and the players he has signed.

We probably are one of the favourites but we're one of the favourites because of our performances during the last couple of seasons under the current management. If we fail to go up then other factors need to be accounted for and it shouldn't automatically mean firing the manager. As long as we improve year on year then it's progress. If there is no improvement or we're miles away from promotion then yes, he should be fired.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 51
arryarryarry
December 10, 2014, 3:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from mariner91

We probably are one of the favourites but we're one of the favourites because of our performances during the last couple of seasons under the current management. If we fail to go up then other factors need to be accounted for and it shouldn't automatically mean firing the manager. As long as we improve year on year then it's progress. If there is no improvement or we're miles away from promotion then yes, he should be fired.

Sorry but I completely disagree, for me it is down to the size of the club and/or budget we should have.

Why do you think FGR are up amongst the favourites each season, it is because of the wedge they have to spend not because they have been crap these past few seasons.

As regards improving year on year then we failed to improve last year as we lost at the same stage in the play-offs as the previous season.

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next 6 League Games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.