1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
December 5, 2014, 10:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,879
Gold Stars: 42
"The Game of Our Lives"  by David Goldblatt.  It covers the change in football over the last 30 years from a struggling working class game to big business now.   I bought myself  this football book for Christmas, after reading some excellent reviews. Simon Kuper, a respected writer of original football articles also gave it a glowing endorsement.

Naturally, before buying it I checked out any references to Grimsby Town.  On page 86 the point is made that only 4 League clubs with good motorway connections have slipped into the Conference in the last Years.  (Luton, Stockport, Cambridge and Bristol Rovers).  Luton and Cambridge have since got back and Rovers only went down last season.

In contrast, teams east of the A1 and M1 have all but been wiped out.  ( Eg, Scarborough, Rushden & Diamonds, Boston United, Lincoln City,  Mansfield Town and Grimsby Town).  I would strongly dispute that "us" and Lincoln have been nearly wiped out.    We are only 1 step away from promotion.  Mansfield did make it back as well.  (The book is supposed to be "well-researched).   There are other new and interesting points made.  

The Henry Kissinger visit ( to a game at Blundell Park is mentioned on page 299.  This is reported as when Tony Crossland, MP for Grimsby (and Foreign Secretary) took him to the game v Gillingham in the 1970s.  If they did go, god knows what an american political academic made of the experience!  This story has been reported on the Fishy before. I think that "Barralad" or "Oldun" dismissed it as "a good anecdote about the Club, but that it was not true".  Any further views in the like of this book? (And a specific game - v Gillingham).

Overall, from dipping into the book it looks an excellent Christmas read for any football fan interested in the recent history.  I cannot comment further as my wife is going to wrap the book.      

Logged Offline
Private Message
MyDogsThoughts
December 5, 2014, 10:52am

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38
I thought Henry Kissinger saw us beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge 3-2 and instantly became a fan because of our 'free flowing attack minded approach to away games'. He was quoted as saying something similar in a Sunday Newspaper supplement in the 1980's: sorry can't even remember which paper.

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 4
barralad
December 5, 2014, 11:04am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
According to Susan Crosland's biography of her husband. Kissinger's plane landed at RAF Waddington at 8:56 on the morning of the game. By 10:20 it was back in the air with him on board on the way to Nigeria. Kissinger was reputedly furious that he had been inconvenienced with an "early" morning meeting 150 miles from London because Crosland had a very important constituency appointment-which turned out to be Town v Gillingham...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 4
barralad
December 5, 2014, 11:07am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts
I thought Henry Kissinger saw us beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge 3-2 and instantly became a fan because of our 'free flowing attack minded approach to away games'. He was quoted as saying something similar in a Sunday Newspaper supplement in the 1980's: sorry can't even remember which paper.

He may have but Crosland had been dead for four years. Kissinger was a Democrat and we were into Reagan's presidency by then...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 4
Abdul19
December 5, 2014, 11:57am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,560
Gold Stars: 216
Surely Mansfield has a good motorway connection?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC and  the book "The Game of Our

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.