November 20, 2014, 5:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I made the long trip up from Suffolk for that game,

BUT

They had run out of caps by the time I got there,!!!

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
ginnywings
November 20, 2014, 5:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
More fool them then Ginny. Football isn't about picking and choosing which team to watch. It should be down to the heart over ruling the head. Watching 2 teams I don't care about.........sorry, that's not for me

Totally agree. I've been invited a few times over to watch Hull, free of charge by someone I do business with but I always decline. Town are the only team for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
HackneyHaddock
November 20, 2014, 8:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
It's pretty simple.  Grimsby is a dead-end, insular, skint town, with too many dead-end, insular, skint people filling it up, who can't see beyond their own little world, or the end of their allotment.

It's a place young people strive to get out of, rather than move to.  The result is that too many of those left behind are of a very low intelligence and not able to apply an strategic thinking to the betterment of the town.  We ripped down our nice architecture, built amenities in the wrong parts of town, failed to diversify after the loss of our key industry, have a bad attitude towards outsiders, and pooh-pooh anything that might potentially improve the area.  We wallow in our poverty, bask in our hair-shirt deprivation, and mock those who want to do better, instead of seeking it for ourselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
psgmariner
November 21, 2014, 12:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
It's pretty simple.  Grimsby is a dead-end, insular, skint town, with too many dead-end, insular, skint people filling it up, who can't see beyond their own little world, or the end of their allotment.

It's a place young people strive to get out of, rather than move to.  The result is that too many of those left behind are of a very low intelligence and not able to apply an strategic thinking to the betterment of the town.  We ripped down our nice architecture, built amenities in the wrong parts of town, failed to diversify after the loss of our key industry, have a bad attitude towards outsiders, and pooh-pooh anything that might potentially improve the area.  We wallow in our poverty, bask in our hair-shirt deprivation, and mock those who want to do better, instead of seeking it for ourselves.

The fish and chips are nice though.

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
ackomariner
November 21, 2014, 2:02pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3

Plenty worse places in this country to live than Grimsby with worse people too

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
horsforthmariner
November 21, 2014, 4:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,610
Gold Stars: 9
Lets get a few things straight:

A new ground is absolutely necessary:

1. Blundell Park is a commercially difficult location, it can't expand and it can't offer corporate activities that other football clubs can and do.

2. Blundell Park is creaking and needs some cash to make it safe in the long run.

3. Blundell Park is freezing (meterologically a couple of degrees colder, and certainly windier than just a mile inland) this puts people off.

The club will die unless it moves we all know this to be true and it's carried out a complex study and found a bit of minging ground off peaks parkway is the best solution) Can i point out Peaks Parkway is not the s**ding Lake District. It looks absolutely ripe for development. Its not green, its a muddy field.

So we need to build it and to do this we've got to get the majority of 45 Councillors onside. To do this we have to create pressure on the Councillors. My problem is the club isnt selling it.

Firstly it could set up a standalone website with artists impressions of the stadiums and casestudies of other successful moves. It needs to look cool and exciting. This will drag people up out their apathy.
Secondly it needs to work with Grimsby fans to get the petition in pubs, newsagents, post offices etc thats how you get lots of signatures.
Thirdly, the club needs to do more on matchdays to promote the stadium. I've not seen people collecting petitions outside the ground or anything like that.
Fourthly, it needs to get outside endorsements for the plan. Chamber of trade, Regional sports groups needs to be involved and give their backing.
Finally it needs to go on and hold consultations with the nimbys and throughout the town. If they can go to the Council and say we've held lots of meetings to try and mitigate the damage to the area for the stadium but the residents are been unwilling to compromise. They could even hire a polling company to do a poll. If they don't get the result they want they don't have to release it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
arryarryarry
November 21, 2014, 8:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116

You obviously don't get out and about much.

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
November 21, 2014, 9:42pm
Guest User
For me peakes parkway is the best site possible I've been saying this since the greatcoats stadium days, but if it's going to happen we need more support on board, now one of the best ways to drum up support would be to get some volunteers out there  go round the markets, have a petition booth on  st.peters ave, freemo, and top town and believe me the signatures would quadruple, Ive mentioned this before and I can't believe the club hasn't initiated it  it's guaranteed to get votes in by the thousands.
Reply: 27 - 31
HackneyHaddock
November 22, 2014, 12:40am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Yes Grimsby has problems, but I don't say they're unique to Grimsby or that Grimsby is the worst place in the world.  Living in London, I can walk or bike to dozens of boroughs all a good deal worse.  Sadly that doesn't change the fact that we have a backward council and too many backward people holding the area back in North East Lincs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
Meza
November 22, 2014, 8:37am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Yep north Acton in london is an awful place.  I've never felt so uncomfortable walking from the train station.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New stadium apathy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.