2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Abdul19
November 17, 2014, 11:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,510
Gold Stars: 215
1 relegation and 3 failed playoff attempts - Abdul's best of 04/05-14/15 (in a daft formation to shoehorn people in):

Henderson

Pearson
R. Jones
Bennett

Coulson
Bolland
Disley
Devitt (09/10 version)

G. Jones
Reddy
Connell (10/11 version, obviously)

Subs: McKeown, McDermott, Pond, Brown, Neilson, Hearn, Paterson.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
pizzzza
November 18, 2014, 6:42am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,697
Gold Stars: 137
Anyone who has picked Magnay over McDermott please give yourself a slap.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
Les Brechin
November 18, 2014, 7:20am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from pizzzza
Anyone who has picked Magnay over McDermott please give yourself a slap.

To be honest the last 10 years have addled my brain. I just think that this is the best squad that we have had for a long time, so I just made a couple of minimal changes. I can vividly remember the 70's to the very early 00's but the period 03-09 have been very much erased from my memory and I just don't associate Macca playing for us in the last 10 years.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
grimsby pete
November 18, 2014, 9:45am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
I would go with Les's team,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
diehardmariner
November 18, 2014, 11:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,384
Gold Stars: 532
Mildenhall

Macca
Townsend
Whittle
Jones.R

Cohen
Neilson
Bolland
Disley

Jones.G
Reddy

Henderson was superb but that was over a handful of games.  Mildenhall was immense for a whole season.
Lot of people gone for Coulson but Cohen gets my nod, most explosive player I've ever seen.  Goal away at Cheltenham when he gave the guy a five-yard head start and still left him for dust is one of my favourite goals ever.

Whitts and Rob Jones a superb partnership which I can't break up.  Jones consistently has played at a higher level since leaving us, Whitts would be captain and first name on the team-sheet.  I like Pearson but he doesn't come close, Pond would probably make my bench.

Bolland and Disley would the last ten years version of Cunnington and Cockers.

Neilson only current player in the line-up as no-one else matches up for me.  Large elements of my XI were knocking Spurs out the cup, going close against Newcastle and ripping teams apart at the top of League Two.  No-one from the current XI has done that (yet).

Reddy and Lump up top for sheer effectiveness.  That six-month period when we were knocking teams all over the place, they were unplayable.  Lump the most technically under-rated player I've seen in a Town shirt.  Only thing his game lacked was a yard of pace, made every striker look a better player alongside him.  Never seen defenders fear a Town striker like Reddy since Super Clive.  Anyone wanting to see how effective Reddy was in his pomp look at his goals against Torquay and Rochdale in the 05/06 season.  Rochdale goal especially is brilliant, watch Gally try to wipe him out only to be left in a spin.  Reddy had everything, bar luck with injuries.   Hearn was a goal machine but scored a lot of goals against poorer sides, Connell was a joy to watch in his first spell but not a team-player but if he hadn't been mentioned by others, I doubt I would even have thought of him.  I think perhaps like Coulson he's a victim of playing in a pretty average team.  
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
Abdul19
November 18, 2014, 12:07pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,510
Gold Stars: 215
When Cohen scored that goal at Cheltenham, I remember Gritton pointing at him with a look of amazement on his face saying something along the lines of "how fucking quick?!"

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
Mariner_501
November 18, 2014, 12:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Gold Stars: 27
Mildenhall

Macca
R Jones
Whittle
Newey

Coulson
Bolland
Brown
Neilson

Reddy
Jones

Subs: Mckeown, Magnay, Bennett, Disley, Devitt, Hearn, Paterson

Paterson should really start but I can't really bring myself to split up the best partnership had in 10 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best Team

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.