Please login or register.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 315 Guests

Another great day

This thread currently has 3,425 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
November 12, 2014, 1:50pm
Guest User
No "Just back" report from me, was concentrating on supporting.

Same as our outstanding away support, I've nothing but pure admiration for everyone supporting last night.
Especially those stood at the back and singing their hearts out to the left in the Pontoon.

If fans ever think the football "isn't entertaining enough", perhaps they should consider moving to the Ponny (if they've never been in there before) and try to learn a thing or 2 from those pro-active and determined to try to find or make it for themselves ?
Personally I've no quarrel about latching onto the back of those over half my age.
If only because if everyone did, we'd all be singing together in total unison anyway.

And they know how to party !  
2nd time in the Ponny for me and on both occasions, I've felt an urge to almost want to shake everyone's hand in appreciation.
But the truth is (whether old or knee high to a grasshopper), I'm in complete awe of all of them.

And what a lovely touch for Mr Fenty and the servicemen to walk around and be deservedly clapped and honoured.
Just personally for me, it set the tone perfectly for a wonderful night all round.  
Unfortunately had to stay in B&B to attend last night (shame the money couldn't go to the club)
But for me, was still worth every single penny AND some.

Last night made me realize one very important thing.
Whatever fond memories and feelings of nostalgia and love for BP will naturally follow if/when we move to a new ground...
It will never change the fans or the people who make up the club and the community - I only wish I was one of you !  
That's what "football club" NOW means to me...

Though I've always wanted Town to do the best they can (obviously !), for many many years part of my motivation used to be about formations, 4-4-2, "watching the game" wondering if it was all worth it as a "paying customer".
Not any more !

Best people
Best fans
BEST FOOTBALL CLUB IN THE WORLD ('and that's the way we like it' !  )

Well done everyone.
UTM.
barralad
November 12, 2014, 4:48pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,197
Gold Stars: 121
Well said that man....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
oldun
November 12, 2014, 5:04pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Blimey 80's that is a refreshing post that I actually understand!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
November 12, 2014, 5:42pm
Guest User
Lol ermm... I appreciate it.
I guess many of my points are lost.
While some are more complex, I do try to be as brief and simple as I can.
Blimey, just imagine how bad it would be if I wasn't !
Reply: 3 - 22
ivanosandwich
November 12, 2014, 6:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 15
A definite +1 for that one 80's.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
November 12, 2014, 6:18pm
Guest User
There you go again messing up my rating
You rotter.
Reply: 5 - 22
mariner tommy
November 12, 2014, 6:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,869
Gold Stars: 12
Was gonna comment on the "just back" thread, but this thread seems more apt.

I just loved everything about last night.

The Remembrance tribute was both excellent before the game and at half time.

We were superb, everybody played well, we had loads of chances and took one of them.

Halifax are a good side and for us to limit them to no shots on target was again superb.

The crowd was good, the atmosphere was good and the result was even better.

It was without a doubt my most enjoyable night this season, even though my nerves in the last ten minutes took a battering.

This is it, this is our season.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
pizzzza
November 12, 2014, 7:11pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,662
Gold Stars: 135
Your best yet 80s. Although you may want to rephrase this bit  

Quoted from 120797

Personally I've no quarrel about latching onto the back of those over half my age.

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
nickmariners
November 12, 2014, 7:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from barralad
Well said that man....

Any chance of a precis?  

---------
Less is More
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
November 12, 2014, 7:39pm
Guest User
Quoted from pizzzza
Your best yet 80s. Although you may want to rephrase this bit  

If we remain unbeaten all season...
Someone might be latching onto the back of ME.  
We can but hope...

Already, I can see a wave of people wanting Hurst
"to go more defensive" !!!...    
Reply: 9 - 22
Fcukthescunts
November 12, 2014, 8:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Great post 80s, I must confess I have not been to BP for several years now ( usually take in half a dozen or so away games a year) but if/when we do leave BP a lot of great memories will go too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
TownSNAFU5
November 12, 2014, 8:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,774
Gold Stars: 41
Yes good post.  I am a bit concerned though by your comment: "I do try to be as brief and simply as I can". This is a very laudable aim.  However, do not try to make your future posts complex or long though!.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
kevikov
November 12, 2014, 9:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +818
Gold Stars: 13
I was in the ponny too 80's, It was a thoroughly enjoyable atmosphere, seemed like more than three and half thousand in BP to be fair.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
Grimal
November 12, 2014, 10:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
That was a great post 80's straight from the heart.You wrote what we all felt for our Club last night.  Well done, keep it up and you will soon be back in the + Approvals . ....      Only 482 minuses to clear first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
November 12, 2014, 10:37pm
Guest User
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Yes good post.  I am a bit concerned though by your comment: "I do try to be as brief and simply as I can". This is a very laudable aim.  However, do not try to make your future posts complex or long though!.  

Trouble is, sometimes you can't make a complex argument in a few words.
It's all or nothing I'm afraid - like I say I do try...

Reply: 14 - 22
November 12, 2014, 10:44pm
Guest User
Quoted from Fcukthescunts
Great post 80s, I must confess I have not been to BP for several years now ( usually take in half a dozen or so away games a year) but if/when we do leave BP a lot of great memories will go too.

Ideally I wouldn't want to leave either. (but that's life !)

Just think with all these things (e.g. support, enjoyment !) wherever you are (e.g. where you are in the table) it's partly what you make of things too.

If I wasn't playing "football manager" (no choice anyway going with older family) I really wouldn't be in the Upper.

I see TRRFC makes a(nother ?) case for what he thinks will make the fans return. (see 'the tipping point')
Perhaps if they all just returned anyway we could slowly turn BP into a fortress and things would be better for everyone ?
All sounds a bit "chicken and egg" and catch 22 to me...

It's not for me to tell others what to do though !
Just I wonder if it's in the fans own hands to a very small extent.
Well who knows cos there's never any guarantees.
But sure we all remember what the atmosphere was like when 7000 turned up to BP for the Scunny game ?
More support = more goals ? Who knows but I wouldn't be suprised...

Personally I don't really see what there is to lose (except their own hard earned cash of course !)

But like I say, not for me to tell others what they should do (can only say what I think is best...)
Especially as I fully admit there are many supporters who have been (and are) FAR more loyal (i.e. they support through thick and thin) than me.
So I'm hardly a 'role model' supporter at all !

And tbh I may be skint in the near future (or at some point) too !
This is why I'm trying to give it a bloody good go this season...
So even if I have to call it a day (or not go as much) when we reach L2, least I'll know it'll all be worthwhile for everyone else.
Reply: 15 - 22
KingstonMariner
November 12, 2014, 11:00pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Good to hear that 80s. Especially considering the debate on here the other week about how to improve the atmosphere.

The great thing is that this shows that spontaneity is not dead. We don't need music piped over tannoys when we score.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
KingstonMariner
November 12, 2014, 11:11pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I don't mean about you being skint in the near future 80s! I mean your OP.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
November 12, 2014, 11:12pm
Guest User
Lol no worries I know what you meant.
Reply: 18 - 22
November 12, 2014, 11:20pm
Guest User
To be honest though, not sure if it's just about "spontaneity"
Think Big Chris deserves credit for his call for vocal support before the game.

And if it's there, don't think music necessarily does any harm either.
If we e.g. start withdrawing Mighty Mariner because we SHOULD all be spontaneous, it would just be stupid.
Reply: 19 - 22
sydney
November 12, 2014, 11:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
Great post 80s
We attend more away than home and revel in the generally excellent away following..
Chesterfield away a few seasons ago and Cambridge away in league last season just two of many faves, but  when you get atmosphere in pontoon it takes some beating
It's like a belonging
Let's hope the recent run and the slightly more positive postings we are seeing on the fishy and the quality of squad and football we are capable of playing get us out of this league this season
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
November 12, 2014, 11:53pm
Guest User
To continue the waffle...

What I mean is fans can help do many things to support - e.g. cheer the team on, put off the opposition the obvious ones.

And not "blowing my own trumpet" here but there was an incident last night that made me wonder if I personally had some effect
(sure I probably didn't !)

The ball went over into the opposition corner and looked to me like Arnold had stopped cos he thought it was going out of play.
I could see it wasn't though so shouted "Chase it Nathan !" (or something like that)
And I think (very BIG 'not sure' here) he might have heard me and picked up to press the defender to win the corner.
Nothing came of it of course - probably imagining it all and sure it may be complete boll0cks anyway.
But we can all TRY to be creative thinking of ideas and stick the effort in if we really want to.

Maybe (in an ideal 'fortress' world) we could do with "spotters" or "wind up merchants" in the corner.
However what the club thinks of potentially playing tough and dirty in this manner (or is it all just 'fair game' and down to supporters so long as they follow the ground's entry rules ?) I've absolutely no idea whatsoever !
Reply: 21 - 22
scrumble
November 13, 2014, 7:35am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from 120797
Maybe (in an ideal 'fortress' world) we could do with "spotters" or "wind up merchants" in the corner.

I just had a horrible flash of the future. Professional fans, trained in the art of verbally abusing opposition players while acting as a third eye for their own players. "Bob Miggins completed his transfer from Preston to Bolton for an undisclosed fee. The highly rated corner pisstakers wages are believed to be in the region of two meat pies per game"

Then again, nothing really new about the concept, the premier league have bee doing it for years.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.