Private Message
acko338
November 5, 2014, 1:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
I enjoyed listening to Bill Brewster as John Tonduer's sidekick last night - some honest appraisals and not sanctimonious at all.

Easy to listen to and gave good comments on where we could improve - just didn't have a loaded gun to shoot that ref !!

Far fewer dead moments - obviously knows John well and had a bit of good humoured banter as part of the commentary - more , please !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
moosey_club
November 5, 2014, 1:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,203
Gold Stars: 224
I thought i heard last night he was described as " starting the Sing When We're Fishing fanzine"......i thought that was Steve Plowes(?) way back when.......can anyone clarify or shed light on that one?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
nickmariners
November 5, 2014, 2:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from moosey_club
I thought i heard last night he was described as " starting the Sing When We're Fishing fanzine"......i thought that was Steve Plowes(?) way back when.......can anyone clarify or shed light on that one?

Dunno whether he was involved with Sing When We're Fishing, but Brewster certainly was among the original crew for When Saturday Comes magazine. He also featured as a talking head pundit on recent BBC TV doc about Northern Soul, when (criminally!!!) he neglected to mention Cleethorpes.

Pedro Plowes not only was an early member of Sing w w F team, but also had the privilege of being our English master at Clee Grammar.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
chicaneuk
November 5, 2014, 3:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from acko338
I enjoyed listening to Bill Brewster as John Tonduer's sidekick last night - some honest appraisals and not sanctimonious at all.

Easy to listen to and gave good comments on where we could improve - just didn't have a loaded gun to shoot that ref !!

Far fewer dead moments - obviously knows John well and had a bit of good humoured banter as part of the commentary - more , please !

Agreed! Thought he was funny, insightful, and a good companion to Tondeur. Rare day I actually hear someone make JT laugh out loud but he managed it several times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
grimsby pete
November 5, 2014, 3:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
We were sat just in front of John Tonduer last night,

So if you heard a few swear words directed at the Ref,

It was me.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
Perkins
November 5, 2014, 3:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from acko338

Seemed more obsessed with Aswad's tight shorts than the game. Sorry, for me not one of the best co commentators.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
RoboCod
November 5, 2014, 5:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from grimsby pete
We were sat just in front of John Tonduer last night,

So if you heard a few swear words directed at the Ref,

It was me.

Some good banter from what i could hear. Clearly heard "We've not come here to watch you, Ref" after giving yet another match-stopping, attention grabbing trivial offence. He actually ruined the game on the radio, Lord knows what it was like watching from the stands.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
tanga_the_indestructible
November 5, 2014, 6:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5
Hi chaps, thanks for the kind words. Except for you Perkins. You're off the Christmas card list. Just to clarify: it was me who started Sing When We're Fishing in August 1988, along with Nick Walker, Lloyd  Wright, Mike Baker, with help from Rob McIlveen and Phil Ball. Steve didn't come into the picture until about two years later. I handed it over to him after the first two seasons or so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
Sussexmariner
November 5, 2014, 8:52pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
For what's it's worth I find ex pro punditry  generally boring, predictable and riddled with clichés

Much prefer the "fans view" which I can relate too, well done Bill, and good on radio Humberside and John Tounder for trying something different

Looking forward to hearing more of the same

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Commentary

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.