Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Just back (to the train)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 312 Guests

Just back (to the train)

This thread currently has 6,001 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
September 17, 2014, 12:33am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
Nielson was the best player on the pitch by a mile. Honourable mentions to most of the others too though, especially Disley, who won far more than his fair share of headers against the Halifax meatheads. Also a word for their no. 15 who must've fouled Neilson close on 10 times, but got nothing for it from a very average ref. Halifax are an atrocious team who sum up for me every reason why we need to be out of this league. Hoooooooofffffff!!!

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
KingstonMariner
September 17, 2014, 12:33am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Thanks Chris. Good explanation. That would work, Lennie in the sort of Livvo role. But we seem to resort to type more when he's playing - don't know if that's the instruction or the players.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
nickmariners
September 17, 2014, 12:45am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4
That was a hugely entertaining game:  my mates and I thought Town's performance was very good, rather than just pretty good - away from home and against a team who have started the season well.

Town were quick to get the ball from midfield into attack, with smart one-twos, and quick turns to confound the man-on.  I think they're great to watch when they move the ball around confidently like this.  Also, tonight their hard-working attitude was apparent - going for every loose ball, pressing Halifax all over the pitch, defending (mostly) as a unit -- as well as showing the comfort on the ball that you see from pretty much all of the players - taking time, looking up, trying to find a stripey shirt.

Terrific Town goal, great travelling support - nice ground, and Halifax is a decent town.  UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
FishOutOfWater
September 17, 2014, 12:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from nickmariners
That was a hugely entertaining game:  my mates and I thought Town's performance was very good, rather than just pretty good - away from home and against a team who have started the season well.

Town were quick to get the ball from midfield into attack, with smart one-twos, and quick turns to confound the man-on.  I think they're great to watch when they move the ball around confidently like this.  Also, tonight their hard-working attitude was apparent - going for every loose ball, pressing Halifax all over the pitch, defending (mostly) as a unit -- as well as showing the comfort on the ball that you see from pretty much all of the players - taking time, looking up, trying to find a stripey shirt.

Terrific Town goal, great travelling support - nice ground, and Halifax is a decent town.  UTM

Be careful posting such positive comments...might not go down too well with some!  
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 16
A.l.f.
September 17, 2014, 7:06am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
Yes I agree with most posters.  As one of the 456? Away fans I too thought it was an entertaining match.
Apart from the free kick for the goal and one header from a corner we didn't give Halifax a look in first half and played some lovely pass and move football.
Brown , Clay and Disley controlled the midfield for much of the game and Nielson was fantastic.  Jack the lad too looked a threat and a shame his effort near the end was straight at the keeper.
Fair play to Our Manager who picked the right side and line up and it was clear at the end that players and Manager are in this together.
We kept the ball on the floor and had the better chances and were unlucky not to win.  With the Lincoln and Torquay games we lost as we didn't take our chances and made defensive errors.  Last night it was more a case of being a bit unlucky especially the clearance off the line near the end.
Torquay looked a good side first half at BP but Halifax were a hoof side and play the percentage game by putting the ball in the danger area as often as they can.
To all those doom merchants - stay with the team as it's a marathon not a sprint and I from what I've seen, given the injury setbacks, Town are good enough and will be up there come the end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
barralad
September 17, 2014, 8:56am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,196
Gold Stars: 121
Well I really enjoyed that!

Town gave it a really good go after going behind. From where we were sat McKeown's positioning for their free kick goal looked to be way off the mark.
Couldn't fault any aspect of the teams performance.
Clay was immense. The timing on his tackles was superb.

My MOM though was Magnay who covered so much ground as to defy the laws of physics. He was still powering forward in the last five minutes having previously nearly scored with a longish range effort that he couldn't get quite enough curl on.

Hannah tried very hard especially as leading the line as a lone striker isn't really his game. He could have had a goal from a sublime ball from Neilson but seemed to get caught in two minds and ended up scooping it into a very grateful keepers arms.

Great support from the Town faithful in a ground that looked a hell of a lot better than I remember it!!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
Jarmo.Is.God
September 17, 2014, 9:13am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Money well spent last night, good entertaining game by 1 hoofball team and one footballing team.

The free-kick was unstoppable, unable to blame Macca although every keeper will say they should of saved it, but it was a brilliant free-kick.

Neilson is 1, maybe 2 leagues below where he should be playing, although sometimes gets carried away, he is the best player i have seen in a town shirt for a very very long time.

Special mention to Doig, spends most of the training sessions coaching, but when called upon, despite looking dodgy/shaky at times, he is a good professional and a great leader

disappointed in Disley again, too many times lost the ball needlessly, but what he did do, was actually win a few headers in the middle.

Brown had an unusually quiet game, although made no mistakes.

Clay was fantastic, credit to Hurst on this one, i couldn't find any town fans happy with his signing when it was made, but i bet i will struggle to find anyone unhappy about it now, breaks up opponents attacks all the time and seems to run forever.

Magnay is solid, and struggling to find a reason why Gateshead released him ? he is a great signing, and even when town are playing bad, like against Torquay, he still has an impressive game.

last one, Fair play to Hannah, run his socks off, closed down there defenders and goalkeeper and made them into a really poor footballing side that just hoof to Boden and hope the midfielders get on the ball.

should for some reason, Hurst eventually get sacked, i wouldn't want Aspin anyway near BP if they are the tactics week in week out.

also to Hurst, with a small side to choice from through injury, he picked a great team with many said was a defensive team, Neilson was given the freedom that ultimately made us the better team  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Just back (to the train)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.