16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
August 19, 2014, 3:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
The swipe missed because a lot of the 'managers in the stand' are actually managers on a keyboard because they're fed up of not being entertained for their £20 + travel + drinks etc. The irony is that he is causing this not just with his obsession with LJL but also saying one thing in the press and then doing something different like praising Winfarrah one minute then playing someone out of position in front of him the next.

Pete says he can't win - the truth is he can, with a positive attitude, a winning mentality and the proper motivation of what looks, on paper, like a decent squad. The way he'll lose is by alienating the fan base with negative football, poor results and his current miserable attitude. What he needs to remember is that by entertaining the fans with good results, he will put bums on seats and that will not only be good for the club in the short term but will also improve the prospect of a move to a new ground.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 156
MeanwoodMariner
August 19, 2014, 4:36pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Saudimariner

No, it was right first time - "fewer" if a number is mentioned ("fewer than ten items"), but "less" if there is no number.  If you are going to criticize someone's grammar, please check your information before doing so.

No, it's "fewer" if the thing in question is countable, which in this case it is. Whether a number happened to be mentioned in the sentence is not relevant here. Use "less" when the thing is not countable, eg water or money.

You're welcome.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 156
headingly_mariner
August 19, 2014, 4:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from pontoonlew

But most of them brought other players into the game better than LJL does. Peacock may not have been great but he helped Connell to all those goals, Elding (for all he's slated on here) formed perhaps the best strike pairing we've had in years with Hearn. I'm yet to see a single striker who has performed well with Lenny and i'm starting to believe he's not this superb link up man he's made out to be. He's touted as this 'strong in the air, lays it off' type, for one it's an absolute myth in my eyes that he's good in the air. In fact for a big man I'd suggest he's actually relatively poor. We've had a couple of decent strikers alongside him, Hannah scored for fun with Cook but couldn't with LJL? Jennings scored for fun at Macc, came here and couldn't score with LJL? I get that Jennings wasn't 100% right but he looked decidedly poor & lost.

So if he can't score, doesn't have many assists and doesn't ever bring out the best in his strike partner, what are we left with? A nuisance to defenders perhaps, holds the ball up fairly well? Is that worth 46 games of a season? Hurst doesn't help himself with Lenny because of stuff like this, even things like 'His shot hit the inside of the post and I'm not sure how it didn't go in' well Paul, it didn't go in because it didn't hit the inside of the post! Then throwing it in that he's carrying a knock. I just wish he'd stop treating us all like mugs who just because we haven't managed a football team, all of a sudden know intercourse all about the football on the pitch? One of the best in the league he says, always coming out and defending him yet he's adamant he's not a 'favorite' I for one am a little skeptical on that.

Peacock was useless by the time he got to us, Duffy was even less likely to bring other players into the game.

Hannah was really banging the goals in when Neilson was on fire, we had good width and trickery at that time with him and Marshall proving a real threat.

we have only had two strikers fit this season, LJL had a decent season previous and has earnt his starting place, nobody is claiming he is ever likely to be prolific but he is certainly a valuable member of the team, if pittman stays fit i expect him to start banging them in alongside Lenny.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 156
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 19, 2014, 4:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

No, it's "fewer" if the thing in question is countable, which in this case it is. Whether a number happened to be mentioned in the sentence is not relevant. Use "less" when the thing is not countable, eg water or money.

You're welcome.

That is correct.

Have a team point.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 156
pontoonlew
August 19, 2014, 4:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Peacock was useless by the time he got to us, Duffy was even less likely to bring other players into the game.

Hannah was really banging the goals in when Neilson was on fire, we had good width and trickery at that time with him and Marshall proving a real threat.

we have only had two strikers fit this season, LJL had a decent season previous and has earnt his starting place, nobody is claiming he is ever likely to be prolific but he is certainly a valuable member of the team, if pittman stays fit i expect him to start banging them in alongside Lenny.

All of the named strikers bar perhaps Peacock have contributed more in terms of stats than LJL has though. My problem is that Hurst hasn't seemed to want to be replacing LJL with something better, it's LJL & an other. Why can't Pittman & Hannah / Pitman & Connell/  Hannah & Connell ever be considered? Why is it 3 strikers are going for one position when perhaps the most inneffective throughout his whole career gets away without having to fight for his place? Hurst wasn't interested in doing it last season and doesn't seem to be bothered this season either. I'm failing to see this obsession with HAVING to have a big man up top. If your midfield is good enough to play the ball on the deck and have the pace to get in behind the defence then there's no reason you can't have two goalscorers up top. Hurst is too narrow minded and up his 'you lot aren't managers so don't understand' bottom to ever even consider that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 156
headingly_mariner
August 19, 2014, 5:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from pontoonlew

All of the named strikers bar perhaps Peacock have contributed more in terms of stats than LJL has though. My problem is that Hurst hasn't seemed to want to be replacing LJL with something better, it's LJL & an other. Why can't Pittman & Hannah / Pitman & Connell/  Hannah & Connell ever be considered? Why is it 3 strikers are going for one position when perhaps the most inneffective throughout his whole career gets away without having to fight for his place? Hurst wasn't interested in doing it last season and doesn't seem to be bothered this season either. I'm failing to see this obsession with HAVING to have a big man up top. If your midfield is good enough to play the ball on the deck and have the pace to get in behind the defence then there's no reason you can't have two goalscorers up top. Hurst is too narrow minded and up his 'you lot aren't managers so don't understand' bottom to ever even consider that.

Because they haven't had chance yet, pittman wasn't fit enough to start and Hannah is injured so how can he consider them? i would imagine Pittman offers us the option for Lenny not to play, but in the 25 minutes they played together they looked a real handful.

Duffy got 8 in 52 games and covered zero ground in his time here, he was alright if the ball landed on his head in the box, look where he is now!

Elding was a fanny.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 156
Maringer
August 19, 2014, 5:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
Elding actually had a decent enough scoring record, even when you take the ones away which he claimed but didn't touch or which the defenders knocked into their own goals.

You're right though, he was a bit of a fanny.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 156
Mariner Ronnie
August 19, 2014, 5:09pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Another stupid thread anti- hurst or anti-John Lewis

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 156
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 19, 2014, 5:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
Another stupid thread anti- hurst or anti-John Lewis

Yes indeed. Your photo might provide a clue why there are so many of them.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 156
Theimperialcoroner
August 19, 2014, 5:14pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,276
Gold Stars: 102
Peacock marginalised by Scott/Hurst probably for having an opinion that differed to theirs.
Elding decent but idle.
Duffy just shite.
LJL appears to be a good lad who keeps his head down and works very hard. He is though an athlete and not a footballer, something that doesn't seem to bother Hurst. These comments in the paper are pretty pathetic, the sign of a man who knows he's wrong but keeps on repeating the manta anyway. He needs to sort out this running sore before things go mammaries up.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 156
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst takes a swipe at fans

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.