Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for JF to put his money where his mouth is!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 159 Guests

Time for JF to put his money where his mouth is!

This thread currently has 61,362 views. Print
35 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... Next All Recommend Thread
headingly_mariner
July 26, 2014, 11:50am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from Biccys
Personally I can't see why you're not addressing the questions raised on here Mr Fenty. Surely the public forum is more wide reaching than a face-to-face chat where your words will reach only 1 person. These questions are eating away at the club once again. You can address them once and for all here and now.
Or aren't YOU man enough?

This
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 340
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 26, 2014, 11:51am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Another game where we played quite well but failed to take chances and the manager looks for "positives".

Meanwhile Jon Parkin signs for Forest Green. I am not saying that Parkin in particular would have been the answer to our prayers but the reason he signed for FG and was willing to make the long trek from the north was money. If PH had been really interested, a player like Parkin might well have come here for a bit less than he will get at FG though apparently still more than PH (really JF) is willing to shell out.

That is the problem with us fans calling for a proper striker signing. The fact is that proven strikers cost money. Where are you going to get a good one with a decent record without spending? Taking on injury prone risks and journeymen front runners is only going to lead us into yet another season where the pressure is on the defence to grind out results whatever formation PH tries.

I don't doubt that some of PH's signings this close season are pretty reasonable but none of them score goals, none of them make a statement of intent to our rivals and none of them enthuse the supporters and make them think "geez this is a good player, he could make our season".

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 340
headingly_mariner
July 26, 2014, 11:59am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Another game where we played quite well but failed to take chances and the manager looks for "positives".

Meanwhile Jon Parkin signs for Forest Green. I am not saying that Parkin in particular would have been the answer to our prayers but the reason he signed for FG and was willing to make the long trek from the north was money. If PH had been really interested, a player like Parkin might well have come here for a bit less than he will get at FG though apparently still more than PH (really JF) is willing to shell out.

That is the problem with us fans calling for a proper striker signing. The fact is that proven strikers cost money. Where are you going to get a good one with a decent record without spending? Taking on injury prone risks and journeymen front runners is only going to lead us into yet another season where the pressure is on the defence to grind out results whatever formation PH tries.

I don't doubt that some of PH's signings this close season are pretty reasonable but none of them score goals, none of them make a statement of intent to our rivals and none of them enthuse the supporters and make them think "geez this is a good player, he could make our season".

We've still got signings to make and haven't played our strongest yet. I've got a real feeling that the goals will come in the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 340
Garth
July 26, 2014, 12:04pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from davmariner
Returning to the topic, I think I speak for most people in saying that fans are relatively happy with what we've got so far. Arguably, as experience shows us is that the difference between a good side that can get into the playoffs and a side that will go onto win promotion is a striker that will get you 20-30 goals in a season. The past two seasons have shown us that, and we've just run out of steam at the final hurdle.

Unfortunately, the past two seasons we've been unlucky as the player that could have been the difference was out injured. No disrespect to Ross Hannah, but imagine if we'd had a fully fit Liam Hearn banging in the goals and creating chances on top of what we'd already had? The point is, we've done well without a goalscoring striker but it hasn't been enough to gain promotion. As I understand, we have one of the bigger budgets in the league and we've built a good side so far. But we need to make this count by having that goalscoring striker.

I don't know the facts regarding the Bogle, some people allege that the gap between what Solihull wanted and what we offered was £7/8000. No one knows for sure, for me personally I don't buy that story. For me the problem has been Hurst's transfer policy approach, which hasn't worked with regard to bringing in a striker. It should have been the first transfer he made, because it was one of our biggest problems last season. Waiting and waiting for a striker to drop his demands and come along doesn't necessarily work with good strikers, as it may do with other players in other positions, because they are difficult to find and are in high demand. What I seem to think has happened, is that Hurst (as he said in the Telegraph at the start of the transfer window), believed there to be a pool of high quality players and was happy to wait and be frugal, only to realise that these players have been snapped up, with some having turned us down. He later comes out and says there aren't enough quality strikers in the market. My point is, is that I think Hurst has been slow to tackle the problem and now only has a limited number of options.

If we managed to bring in that striker, I think this team can push for the title. Otherwise, I think it'll be a similar season to the last couple.

Mostly agree with what you say Dave, what is the secret though? stick or gamble regarding getting in players early, its seems that teams like FGR and Luton go early and dare, it  seems sometime it works and most times it does not, me I`m not as patience as Hurst and would just go by my gut feeling
and get in early (like he did with the others) you have to gamble with strikers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 193 - 340
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 26, 2014, 12:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from headingly_mariner

We've still got signings to make and haven't played our strongest yet. I've got a real feeling that the goals will come in the league.

Your optimism does you credit!

Yes. I realise there are signing(s) to make but my point is we need a really good one not just one with potential that falls flat again.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 340
1mickylyons
July 26, 2014, 1:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
I seldom post on here these days but do still read a lot of the threads and this one I find quite alarming from start to finish. Feel free to disagree but at this stage the key questions with 2 Promotion spots up for grabs should probably be something like....

Q Is the assembled squad good enough to win the League?
A Probably not
Q Is the assembled squad good enough to make the Play Offs?
A Probably yes
Q Is Paul Hurst and his team tactically astute enough to gain Promotion?
A On what I have seen under him in sole charge No but I do believe he should have been given the opportunity this Season
Q Will the floating/non STH fans come out and support Hurst and his teams style of football
A Being 1 of the above not if the style is load into LJL repeat fail repeat
Q Should Hurst change his style of play to suit the fans?
A No he should play the style that best suits his players but he should not complain if the fans don't like what they see.
Q Should JF insist on a change of style to get more bums on seats?
A No he should let the Manager do his job but stress the importance of revenue from home gates in excess of 3500 if we are winning well at home most weeks instead of the drab scraping of points were used to.
Q Does JF need to spend loads of money to guarantee success?
A No he should just support the Manager financially with sensible support of realistic targets.
Q How can the GTFC fans be more supportive and help the team?
A The easy fix is create a better atmosphere for home games JF and the Trust should work on this immediately.
Q What do Hurst,Fenty and the fans all have in common?
A They all want GTFC to do well and go one better than last 2 Seasons
Q Where do they all want to be in 12Months time ?
A To be moaning like intercourse about having to journey to Pompey on opening day of the League 2 fixtures next year.

Roll on Brizzle Rovers UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 340
psgmariner
July 26, 2014, 2:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
I really don't think Fenty has the time or inclination to debate the budget with saddoes on the internet. Saying "I'm John Fenty" in a post doesn't make it true.

I have a flat tummy and a massive schlong.

See, I just checked and I don't.

Private Message
Reply: 196 - 340
GrimRob
July 26, 2014, 2:46pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from psgmariner
I really don't think Fenty has the time or inclination to debate the budget with saddoes on the internet. Saying "I'm John Fenty" in a post doesn't make it true

It is him I set up every account I know who everyone really is in real life

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 197 - 340
FishOutOfWater
July 26, 2014, 2:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from psgmariner
I really don't think Fenty has the time or inclination to debate the budget with saddoes on the internet. Saying "I'm John Fenty" in a post doesn't make it true.

I have a flat tummy and a massive schlong.

See, I just checked and I don't.

Misread that...

I thought it said you had a fat tummy in which case how would you be able to see further down below  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 198 - 340
lew chaterleys lover
July 26, 2014, 3:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GrimRob

It is him I set up every account I know who everyone really is in real life

How bizarre.

In that case - hey Fenty -get your finger out...
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 340
35 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for JF to put his money where his mouth is!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.