6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Tommy
April 21, 2014, 8:11pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Yeah I'd agree with that Chris. As I said in earlier post I was pleased Hurst showed a bit of 'thinking outside the box' and came up with kind of a plan B.

Your earlier comment about being pleased Doig got the nod interested me too Chris. I was surprised he went from being not in the 16 lately to starting, ahead of McDonald who's been waiting for a chance for a while now. There were a lot of rumours around McDonald over xmas/new year, but something doesn't seem right there, he's barely kicked a ball in 2014 after being in great form pre-Xmas.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 50
jonnyboy82
April 21, 2014, 8:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Paddy never got in the game today on the wing..

But saying that hurst does have previous with playing centre mids on the wing.

File under frankie artus.

And cue the dislikes, I love em ya big babies  

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 50
BIGChris
April 21, 2014, 8:17pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Tommy
Yeah I'd agree with that Chris. As I said in earlier post I was pleased Hurst showed a bit of 'thinking outside the box' and came up with kind of a plan B.

Your earlier comment about being pleased Doig got the nod interested me too Chris. I was surprised he went from being not in the 16 lately to starting, ahead of McDonald who's been waiting for a chance for a while now. There were a lot of rumours around McDonald over xmas/new year, but something doesn't seem right there, he's barely kicked a ball in 2014 after being in great form pre-Xmas.

My thoughts are not about 'extra curricular' activities but feel, perhaps because of his size, McDonald needs a run of games to get into his stride. At the start of the season he looked a liability but eventually got match fit and looked a top player for this level.

His only start for months was at Dartford where he looked like Herman Munster! I just don't feel we have time to get Clayts up to speed hence i preferred Doig today
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 50
Tommy
April 21, 2014, 8:28pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Fair enough

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 50
Tom13
April 21, 2014, 8:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Made it much more difficult than it could and should have been, but another clean sheet without 3 or 4 first team players today (including two key players in Disley and Pearson). Agree with Chris that we had no midfield runners, Thanoj and Kerr are both too similar in that they both like to sit deep when in possession so Disley needs to start in the play offs for me (despite looking poor this season).

If Hannah knew the offside rule it could've been more comfortable, lost count of the amount of offsides he had - he just sets off way too early every time. Unlucky with hitting the post when the keeper got a slight nick on it, but poor forward play when he failed to square it to LJL despite having 2 or 3 opportunities to do so. LJL poor (he's more the perfect away game striker so we can play more direct away from home), Tounkara looked like he might create something unlike anyone else on the pitch - this is where I felt we missed Rodman today. Colbeck offered little again, which suggests that we may be due another big performance from him at Wembley should we get there?!

Neilson was poor by his standards, gave the ball away numerous times, had a poor first touch too often today and didn't give Hatton an option when he had the ball, didn't turn and run at them but only gave it back to Hatton too often. Hatton MOM for me, closely followed by Boyce.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 50
chaos33
April 21, 2014, 8:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,000
Gold Stars: 362
Hard to pick a MOM for me. Possibly Kerr although I feel he visibly tired as the game went on. He does do a great job in talking to the team though, keeping them focused and he always wants the ball. Hannah did some things well, including his goal, but at times, his first touch and timing were gash. LJL slightly disappointing, including his characteristic miss of a golden chance, but very often we give him cr@ppy balls to scrap for and when he wins them there was usually nobody near him to receive a pass or pick up a knockdown or flick, so felt sorry for him. I don't understand the thinking behind this tactic if I'm honest. If we must persist in trying to 'hit' him with a longer ball, we must get players closer to him to lend support, and we must do it quickly, or we're just squandering possession and setting him up to fail. Generally speaking I think we don't anticipate well, and we're not compact enough. We should be looking to support our front players much more quickly than we do.

Generally struck me how often our touch and ball/control and basic skills are sadly lacking, although pleased to see our set piece delivery improved from recent standards, albeit looking much less of a threat without Pearson in the team. Thought we missed Rodman and Disley, didn't make good use of Neilson or Paddy, and that Thomas was very disappointing. Some of our decision making looks very suspect to me - when to pass and when to hit a channel or long ball from deep, and there is a visible lack of clever movement from our strikes and centre midfielders. Genuine pace would have caused them all sorts of problems today, but, of course, we don't have any.

Result was everything and we had the chances to make it more comfortable but we were very predictably always going to make hard work of it. Worrying that this is not a 'one-off' performance, and that we'll have to improve significantly in all aspects to bring play off success, but it's a whole new ball game now and all of the contenders have proved they are beatable. Relieved to get the result and the play off place. We must keep tight and together from now on.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 50
sutton mariner
April 21, 2014, 8:53pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
Thought shop did well today. Ross on fire, nielson tried hard but it didn't really click.

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 50
newfootballer
April 21, 2014, 8:54pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Quoted from moosey_club
If Ross Hannah would have squared for LJL instead of going for glory himself it would have been alot more comfortable, unbelievably selfish.
Having said that the hat trick has clearly boosted his confidence as he looked like a new player today so that could just be the boost we need going into the final stage of the season.

I cannot believe you have said that about Ross Hannah,he has now scored four goals in two games natural goalscoresers are very much to their own thinking.

I played at Town for a number of years with brilleant goal scorers like like Matt Tees,Stuart Brace,Kevin Drinkell, etc and not that I was a goalscorer I was a creative midfielder.

The times I can tell you when I got into far better positions than the names I have just mentioned and they never passed to me and missed. but that is a goal scorer.

Natural goalscorers will always go for a shot on goal rather than pass to a collegue who is in a better position, and that is a fact
NEW FOOTBALLER

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 50
Theimperialcoroner
April 21, 2014, 8:57pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,276
Gold Stars: 103
My Dad was bang on in his assessment of Nielson today, he looks lots better on the left, he also makes Aswad look better as they link up very well when they get going. Today though we looked like we had a few players being used as square pegs in round holes, Nielson and Paddy being the moss obvious. Great to get in the play offs with a game to go, nose the time to make ten changes Paul.
Mom today was Hatton who didn't put a foot wrong.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 50
moosey_club
April 21, 2014, 9:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,306
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from newfootballer

I cannot believe you have said that about Ross Hannah,he has now scored four goals in two games natural goalscoresers are very much to their own thinking.

I played at Town for a number of years with brilleant goal scorers like like Matt Tees,Stuart Brace,Kevin Drinkell, etc and not that I was a goalscorer I was a creative midfielder.

The times I can tell you when I got into far better positions than the names I have just mentioned and they never passed to me and missed. but that is a goal scorer.

Natural goalscorers will always go for a shot on goal rather than pass to a collegue who is in a better position, and that is a fact
NEW FOOTBALLER

It was 0-0....a game we needed to win and preferably score a hatful to help with goal difference just in case results went other ways....LJL was in a far better position just like Hannah was at Alfreton.....a goal then would have settled the crowd, the team and given us a bit more confidence whcih i am sure would have led to plenty more.
Its a team game and the team needed the goal.
However pleased to see Ross looking sharp and confident today, the two chances he had and the goal today he would have been nowhere near a couple of games ago.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (Merged) Hyde

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.