4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Marinerdan
April 14, 2014, 8:31pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
Really doesn't seem like this had been handled well, although it is a really tricky and very sensitive situation.

I don't think there's any doubt at all that the gentleman was disabled. Where it becomes difficult is assessing if a carer is required and if they should get free entry. This is something that I imagine is very difficult to prove.

It's not ideal but I wonder if the league could come up with a scheme whereby all disabled supporters present the correct documents at their home ground at the start of the season and are then issued with a formal ID that states they are disabled and lists specific 'carers'?

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
Reverendmariner
April 14, 2014, 9:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +275
I've been a Town supporter all my life and for the first time I can remember I'm truly ashamed of my club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
Tinymariner
April 14, 2014, 9:23pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
What if the Fan is Registered Disabled due to a Mental health Issue and requires a carer to be with them in case of an anxiety attack? Should they be discriminated against because they are able bodied? Disabled fans should also be allowed to sit where they feel comfortable and not shepherded into an area where they can be easily evacuated in case of emergency, what about the autonomy of the individual?
There is a wider issue here and staff need to be made aware of remaining non judgemental regarding anti discriminatory practice. Just my opinion before the anti PC brigade start! UTM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
BIGChris
April 14, 2014, 9:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Following the complaint received by the unofficial website, "The Fishy", The Mariners Trust have taken the opportunity to discuss the incident with the club staff and management.

From a personal point of view I am slightly surprised that 'Julie' decided to contact an unofficial website rather than the CEO or even Directors of GTFC which is certainly what I would have done. Last season I made a complaint about an incident at an away game and wrote directly to the club secretary concerned as it was only them that I believed could take action and provide a satisfactory answer.

As always there are two sides to every story. Prior to every game GTFC send the visiting clubs details of ticket prices and concessions, which includes the qualification for the latter. Many clubs then post these on their Official web sites in advance so their own fans know what is, and isn't, available and what proofs may be required,before travelling.

The club staffs version of events from Saturday differs significantly from those reported on the 'Fishy' in particular in the area of 'obvious and clear disability'. It is further stated that a different member of the same group  tried to purchase an OAP ticket when clearly he was considerably less than 65 years of age and when refused became extremely rude. We are told there was no 'big' queue behind the Chester supporters at the time.

The club are clearly in a difficult situation with regard to concessions, and disabled supporters in particular. Most supporters who travel away will, if they are truthful, be aware that there are some supporters who try and gain entrance for concessions which they do not qualify for.

This is perhaps why the Clubs Customer Charter sets down the parameters for how every visitor is treated. A clear,consistent, laid down approach has to be the best way in my opinion.

It is difficult to be totally sure of the events unless one actually witnesses them, but suffice to say that perhaps some lessons can be learnt by all concerned. We will be asking the club to stress the qualifications for concessionary tickets when they contact each club, and when Town fans are visiting other clubs, and wishing to take up concessionary tickets, it is advisable to double check on the requirements prior to travel.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
GrimRob
April 14, 2014, 9:55pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Thanks Chris I had added a link to your response at the bottom of the article.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 31
HackneyHaddock
April 15, 2014, 12:16am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Coolly and sensibly handled, Chris.  These things are seldom simple, whether in sport or business, but do provide interesting training points all round!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
moosey_club
April 15, 2014, 12:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from BIGChris
Following the complaint received by the unofficial website, "The Fishy", The Mariners Trust have taken the opportunity to discuss the incident with the club staff and management.

From a personal point of view I am slightly surprised that 'Julie' decided to contact an unofficial website rather than the CEO or even Directors of GTFC which is certainly what I would have done. Last season I made a complaint about an incident at an away game and wrote directly to the club secretary concerned as it was only them that I believed could take action and provide a satisfactory answer.

As always there are two sides to every story. Prior to every game GTFC send the visiting clubs details of ticket prices and concessions, which includes the qualification for the latter. Many clubs then post these on their Official web sites in advance so their own fans know what is, and isn't, available and what proofs may be required,before travelling.

The club staffs version of events from Saturday differs significantly from those reported on the 'Fishy' in particular in the area of 'obvious and clear disability'. It is further stated that a different member of the same group  tried to purchase an OAP ticket when clearly he was considerably less than 65 years of age and when refused became extremely rude. We are told there was no 'big' queue behind the Chester supporters at the time.

The club are clearly in a difficult situation with regard to concessions, and disabled supporters in particular. Most supporters who travel away will, if they are truthful, be aware that there are some supporters who try and gain entrance for concessions which they do not qualify for.

This is perhaps why the Clubs Customer Charter sets down the parameters for how every visitor is treated. A clear,consistent, laid down approach has to be the best way in my opinion.

It is difficult to be totally sure of the events unless one actually witnesses them, but suffice to say that perhaps some lessons can be learnt by all concerned. We will be asking the club to stress the qualifications for concessionary tickets when they contact each club, and when Town fans are visiting other clubs, and wishing to take up concessionary tickets, it is advisable to double check on the requirements prior to travel.

Thats no good Chris, the witch hunt was in full progress and an order had been put in for a ducking stool at Chapmans Pond.....and now you tell the Fishy readers the ticket office staff could be innocent and it is in fact the almost Scousers on a cheap ticket scam !!

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
DocTower
April 15, 2014, 8:21am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
I have NEVER had any problems with the staff at the club and always found them very obliging . I get tickets for some friends who live away , sometimes they can't make it or numbers change , the staff change or refund with no problem .
Being an ex shop steward I have had to deal with many problems , and as said there are always 2 sides of the story . I find it hard to believe  of what was said and done , in the heat of the moment , it would seem to be not getting what I want when I want it . The louder you shout the more you get  ? Plus how it was basically advertised by this supporter .

I have been in the shop and witnessed myself customers pratting around looking for discounts reductions and holding up people behind them , it isn't an easy job for the girls , who also get abused for a bad display by the team .

If anything it's a rant from the supporter , and a training issue on our side .

Always 2 sides to look at before you start throwing stones .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
arryarryarry
April 15, 2014, 9:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Tinymariner
This is absolutely disgusting and infuriates me. I am please that this will be addressed by the trust shortly but feel appalled that any supporter would be treated in this manner but especially a visiting fan. GTFC ticket office, sort it out! UTM

Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
TownSNAFU5
April 15, 2014, 5:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
I have always found the ticket office staff to be efficient and helpful. I book all tickets over the phone and have never experienced any problems. Any errors are usually mine.

2 examples also illustrate this:
For the Huddersfield game, a ticket had been left at home for my 17 year old nephew.   (Due mainly to buying 2 or 3 tickets in advance for games).  I went into the ticket office and they gave me a replacement with no questions asked, accepting my statement.

Another time I was allocated a broken seat in the UF.   (Not facing away from the pitch though).   I contacted the ticket office and they gave me 2 free tickets for future home games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chester Disabled supporter

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.