thevera
March 16, 2013, 8:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +991
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
The 3 posters above should be ashamed of themselves .

Not u acko edited

Agreed surprised at Pete's comments although you expect it from Solster.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
grimsby pete
March 16, 2013, 8:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,841
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from BIGChris

I don't!!!

Very frustrated today. We werent at the races but still could/should have got at least a point. We didnt because there were too many flat performances.

What i dont acccept is that these players are 'layabouts'. All season i and many others have travelled the country and for the vast majority of games I have said that for the first time in many years we have a team who give their all for the shirt. We no longer have a string of journeymen who couldnt give a shite. These guys do and have demonstrated it throughout the season.

Jumping on their back now isnt going to help things. Probably the automatic promotion position has gone but if we stick together we will be in the play offs. Then we have as much chance as any of the others. Possibly by then we will have our first choice central midfield refreshed and firing and even a match fit Liam Hearn?

Equally we might not make it but there isnt half been some balderdash posted on here tonight!

I should pay more attention to what I read, I do not think the players are layabouts but do agree they are letting us and themselves down,

We should not be losing to the likes of Braintree and the like but having said that I still think we will make the play offs,

Knowing our luck we will get Kiddiminster and not make the final.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
northbankmariner
March 16, 2013, 8:54pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525

We should not be losing to the likes of Braintree and the like but having said that I still think we will make the play offs,

Knowing our luck we will get Kiddiminster and not make the final.

[/quote]

peter, come on mate, dont you get downbeat, you are normally more positive than this my friend.   we are all gutted but lets not be talking of losing the playoffs, first lets reach them and then the season before becomes irrelevant , it will all be down to 3 matches, we can do this, why not?  lots of positives to come dont panic or give in,   with a fresh fully fit regular starting best 11 why couldnt we beat kiddy or anyone esle for that matter, yes i think teams dont fear us any more but who knows what a bit of good luck can do.

never say die and certailnly dont lose the play offs before they have even been played, have a large drink, open up another bottle of red buddy and reassess yuor comments please.

UTM

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
Musso74
March 16, 2013, 8:56pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +18 / -1
Approval: +61
I would take Kidderminster Pete as I don't think they will turn us over again. Their players may think they will but hopefully the real Grimsby would turn up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
grimsby pete
March 16, 2013, 8:59pm

Exile
Quoted from Musso74
I would take Kidderminster Pete as I don't think they will turn us over again. Their players may think they will but hopefully the real Grimsby would turn up

I think we can beat them over one game ( at wembley )

BUT not over two legs,

So lets hope we get one of the others, Mansfield, Wrexham or Newport over two legs.

I think we can beat all of them.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
AdamHaddock
March 16, 2013, 9:04pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,842
Gold Stars: 26
RE: Louth in the south

I put that signature pic there at the beginning of the season when some drama queens were writing our promotion chances off and demanding S&H's sacking by the end of August. Where we are now is very different. We are pretty much where Luton were a couple of months ago - watching a good first half of the season slip rapidly through our fingers.

I certainly don't think any of these players are 'layabouts' - in terms of application and desire they are a world away from Conlon, Bore and the like. But apart from Pond and Nielson (the latter who was replaced by someone just as good and Pond whose void has been filled by the capable Miller), we have near enough the same players who put us top of the league going into the Christmas period barring a couple of very recent injuries. But for whatever reason, standards are slipping. That confidence and ruthlessness from earlier in the season has evaporated - only the players themselves can make it reappear.

You and one or two others on here may furiously reject any criticisms of the players but I won't. They've dropped points against promotion rivals and mid table teams just when we need to consolidate our position around the top.

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
marinette
March 16, 2013, 9:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
I read the original post with interest and guessed the O/P would get some stick for it.

However, there is an alternative way of looking at it.  Mike Newell (not that I would ever go to Mike Newell for a mantra) said that Town fans accept defeat too easily.  We are too forgiving.

The Fishy very often sees extremes of negativity one week and optimism the next.  Is the negativity really such a bad thing?  (During the Buckley 3 era, for example, there was intense hostility and anger towards the players at their poor run of results, which reached a head just before we played Boston away - and to everyone's astonishment we went out and won that game by a six goal margin).

More recently, Nuneaton at home in August.  I don't remember anyone having anything good to say after that abysmal performance leading to a 0-0 draw.  The atmosphere on here was too depressing for words.  But guess what?  Our players put four goals past Mansfield in the next game and then we went on that wonderful run not long afterwards.

Anthony Elding was given some stick for a while when he was sulking about being on the bench - it goaded him into playing out of his skin and turning a game around for us when he came on as sub.

Generally, if I'm disappointed, I'll say I'm disappointed.  If I feel able to support a player then I will, whether other people think that player is good, bad or indifferent.  It matters not to me.  I find it funny (peculiar) that some fishyites try to lay down the law for others. e.g.  You are not allowed to express your disappointment.  You are not allowed to be negative after a poor performance.  You are not allowed to express your support for certain players who play for your own club.  And so on.

The fishy is a very strange place sometimes.  

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
grimsby pete
March 16, 2013, 9:10pm

Exile
I have often got stick on here for being too positive,

YET

After a very poor run I show my disappointment and again I get stick,

I do not think the present players are layabouts but they are letting us down at the moment,

They need to take their eye off wembley and get a good win at Nuneaton to send us all to wembley in a happier frame of mind,

Then get back to their best after the final to keep us in the play offs.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
80sglory
March 16, 2013, 10:33pm
Guest User
Think some fans forget the effects of bitter disappointment and how it may affect their brittle confidence.

They gave everything at Mansfield (wasn't so long ago was it ?), came away with nothing and Hurst said the players were gutted in the dressing room after.
How hard must that be ?!

Anyway I'm frustrated myself (and not happy with the managers playing some players at Mansfield more than anything) but think we should ALL be careful what or who we blame and not go OTT.

Otherwise it could be table toppers to a team bashed of all confidence and "You're not fit to wear the sh1rt !" within only a season !     

tbh I've always thought fans get far too much unfair stick on here.
But have to say, if more (in the Upper) put their energy into supporting the team instead of shouting at the ref/every bad decision then we might even be better off.
It's ok telling the players to "man up" but they also need all the support on matchdays they can get.
Reply: 18 - 30
away_fan
March 17, 2013, 10:05am

black and white through and through...U.T.M
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
people make me laugh..when were up were doing well but when were down they just turn around and diss the team...show somw heart and support our buys..!! or just go support manchester united if all you care about is glory..U.T.M!!!!

black and white till i die!!!!!

[face=Arial][/face][color=blue][/color] you fill up my sences like a barrel of tetleys, like a packet of woodbines, like a good bit of stuff, like a night out in nunsthorpe (tavern) like a greasy chip buttie, you super black and whites come thrill me again, na na naa na na naa na town!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GONE IN A WEEK

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.