Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for Cambridge (and Nuneaton)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 72 Guests

Team for Cambridge (and Nuneaton)

This thread currently has 2,364 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
80sglory
March 15, 2013, 2:45pm
Guest User
Assuming Disley is out (I'd play him but equally wouldn't take ANY risks)

.......................McKeown
Wood......Pearson.....Miller....Thomas
Colbeck...Naylor......Wilson....Marshall
..............JLewis......Brodie

Subs: Hatton, Thanoj, Devitt, Hannah, Cook

OR 433/451

....................McKeown
Wood....Pearson.....Miller....Thomas
....................Naylor...........
............Thanoj......Artus......
....J-Lewis....Brodie.....Marshall

Subs: Hatton, Wilson, Devitt, Colbeck, Hannah

Team for Nuneaton

.....................McKeown
Hatton.....Pearson.....Miller....Thomas
Marshall...Naylor......Disley?...Devitt
..............Cook.......Hannah

Subs: Wood, Thanoj, Wilson, Colbeck, Brodie
Jarmo.Is.God
March 15, 2013, 2:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
.......................McKeown
Hatton......Pearson.....Miller....Thomas
Colbeck...Naylor......Wilson....Marshall
..............Hannah......Brodie

Subs: Wood, Thanoj, Devitt, The Shop, Cook

Rest Cook for a game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
davmariner
March 15, 2013, 5:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,981
Gold Stars: 79
Hang on a sec wasn't Devitt our biggest threat on Tuesday? Colbeck has had no impact in matches recently therefore I wouldn't be keen on starting him.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
grimsby pete
March 15, 2013, 5:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,841
Gold Stars: 222
Rest poundshop

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
Stevie Saunders
March 15, 2013, 6:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
Macca
Hatton
Miller
Pearson
Thomas
Marshall
Naylor
Thanoj
Hannah
Cook
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
80sglory
March 15, 2013, 6:02pm
Guest User
Quoted from davmariner
Hang on a sec wasn't Devitt our biggest threat on Tuesday? Colbeck has had no impact in matches recently therefore I wouldn't be keen on starting him.

I just sense Colbeck's better playing at home and Devitt plays better away.

Maybe that's total b0llocks but rightly or wrongly, part the reason I'd put out a strong team at Nuneaton.

Which is the easier game - Cambridge at home or Nuneaton away ?
Not sure, don't think either is a walkover tbh.

But least we'll have some insurance of a good team to fall back on if things don't quite work Saturday.
But if they DO then we're laughing, heading to Nuneaton fresh and full strength with 3 pts (or even 1 point wouldn't be too bad) on our back...

So my strategy would be to target the latter fixture with the strongest team.
But tough decisions, maybe I'm wrong. You tell me...
Who'd be a manager eh ?
Reply: 5 - 25
davmariner
March 15, 2013, 6:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,981
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from 1600

I just sense Colbeck's better playing at home and Devitt plays better away.

Maybe that's total b0llocks but rightly or wrongly, part the reason I'd put out a strong team at Nuneaton.

Which is the easier game - Cambridge at home or Nuneaton away ?
Not sure, don't think either is a walkover tbh.

But least we'll have some insurance of a good team to fall back on if things don't quite work Saturday.
But if they DO then we're laughing, heading to Nuneaton fresh and full strength with 3 pts (or even 1 point wouldn't be too bad) on our back...

So my strategy would be to target the latter fixture with the strongest team.
But tough decisions, maybe I'm wrong. You tell me...
Who'd be a manager eh ?

It's a tough call, I understand the logic in resting players due to the run in, but I can't say I think we should. The notion of there being no easy game in this league is a bit of a cliché, but I genuinely feel that that's the case due to the polarised tactics of teams in this league. The longer we go without a victory the more pressure we'll be under to get a win in the future. We cannot afford to drop many more points, we have to keep up and take advantage of the inevitable slip ups of the teams above us but also of Forest Green.

Colbeck struggles in big games, and only really seems to perform against what many consider as the 'lesser' sides. A few people have picked up on the fact that Ross Hannah formed quite an important partnership with Scott Neilson down the left hand side and in my opinion hasn't managed to replicate that with our current wingers. What we need is a stable team and we need to play our best 11 in each game. Chopping and changing does not really allow for continuity and for understandings to be formed.

I'd go for:

McKeown

Hatton     Miller      Pearson   Thomas

Marshall   Naylor    Disley (if fit)  Devitt

Cook    Hannah

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
80sglory
March 15, 2013, 7:25pm
Guest User
Quoted from davmariner
The longer we go without a victory the more pressure we'll be under to get a win in the future.

Well yeah that's the thing.

But then again, once you win no-one really gives a toss whether it was 2 or 3 games you went without winning.

Are we too good for meltdown to happen ?
Like to think so but equally no-one wants to risk it !

Suppose this is part my point...
Play the best team tomorrow it's pretty much "must win" pressure on anyway.

My concern is in the case of the worst, whether we'd be scratching our heads for Tuesday without a strong enough paddle, along with the prospect of ANOTHER tough league game 2 days after Wembley.

I know people say "make sure we win" and obviously see the point.
But it's pretty much "sh1t or bust eggs in 1 basket" ?

Got that crowd to cheer us on which is obviously a big help.
But also a bit concerned about home crowd pressure (especially if it's still 0-0) on the SAME players who played at Mansfield.

Really hate being fearful or negative (and maybe I am).  
Just trying to be realistic to minimize any possible risk of meltdown.

Got to be honest too...
Part of me wonders if the likes of e.g. John-Lewis, Thanoj can't deliver in front of a supportive crowd then it's better to know asap and get others in who can.

Swings and roundabouts isn't it ?
Reply: 7 - 25
cmackenzie4
March 15, 2013, 7:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from davmariner

It's a tough call, I understand the logic in resting players due to the run in, but I can't say I think we should. The notion of there being no easy game in this league is a bit of a cliché, but I genuinely feel that that's the case due to the polarised tactics of teams in this league. The longer we go without a victory the more pressure we'll be under to get a win in the future. We cannot afford to drop many more points, we have to keep up and take advantage of the inevitable slip ups of the teams above us but also of Forest Green.

Colbeck struggles in big games, and only really seems to perform against what many consider as the 'lesser' sides. A few people have picked up on the fact that Ross Hannah formed quite an important partnership with Scott Neilson down the left hand side and in my opinion hasn't managed to replicate that with our current wingers. What we need is a stable team and we need to play our best 11 in each game. Chopping and changing does not really allow for continuity and for understandings to be formed.

I'd go for:

McKeown

Hatton     Miller      Pearson   Thomas

Marshall   Naylor    Disley (if fit)  Devitt

Cook    Hannah

This would be my choice too.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
chaos33
March 15, 2013, 8:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,017
Gold Stars: 362
Can't really see a case for making 5 changes to the starting line-up as 80's has done, especially following a very good performance at Mansfield overall, let alone not including Cook at all. Not sure where that one came from (presumably this is about rest/squad rotation/forthcoming games), but all about opinions.

I can't see that there's any chance that S&H will switch formations from 4-4-2 tomorrow, or indeed Tuesday night so won't bother trying to work out a team selection for those systems on that basis.

Tomorrow I'd be looking for much better delivery from crosses and set-pieces as this is frequently a decisive factor in the outcome of matches. Our delivery has, in recent games, been pretty poor and occasionally exaperating, so, on that basis, I'd be playing Devitt and Hatton and not Colbeck and Wood. I'd also be showing faith in Cook and Hannah who are both playing well. I think that partnership will produce goals tomorrow and Tuesday. There's more to be gained by showing faith than chopping and changing them again, which I feel would damage their confidence, morale and focus. The only real reason I can see for starting Brodie and LJL is to rest the other two and I wouldn't be doing that unless I felt that either (or both) or them was tired/jaded/carrying a knock.

I'll presume Disley is unfit (sadly). My team would be 4-4-2:

McKeown
Hatton
Miller
Pearson
Thomas

Devitt
Marshall
Thanoj
Naylor

Cook
Hannah

Subs: Brodie, Wood, Wilson, Colbeck, LJL

We will win tomorrow.

As for Tuesday night? One game at a time and horses for courses. I wouldn't be holding any player in reserve with an eye on Tuesday. Tomorrow is everything. We will win on Tuesday too, whatever the selection.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
80sglory
March 15, 2013, 10:38pm
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
Can't really see a case for making 5 changes to the starting line-up as 80's has done, especially following a very good performance at Mansfield overall, let alone not including Cook at all. Not sure where that one came from (presumably this is about rest/squad rotation/forthcoming games), but all about opinions.

Reason is exactly the same as it was before.
Quoted from 1600
Still, with a cram-packed increasingly difficult fixture schedule ahead, personally believe if we're to have ANY chance of winning the title, we need to be doing more of the same AT SOME POINT. (e.g. play a better team get 3 points, play a weaker team get 3 points)

After Mansfield winning tonight think there's even a stronger case for changes !

Same 11 players can't win every game - it's just not possible IMO. (not with our average away record and shortage of goals anyway)
People can ignor issues like fatigue and Tuesday all they like but they won't go away.
If we want the title, almost everyone's got to contribute IMO.
And not just for that but to keep better players safer and rested for the playoffs. (touchwood)

Playoffs look safer now (or at least we could afford to lose tomorrow and not be any worse off)
So only real chance we've got IMO is everyone to muck in to help win games.
Got to use this home crowd to the max to help the lesser/unproven players find their feet.

I doubt they'll go 433 now FGR have been won tbh (but who knows).
My whole thinking was they might want to play it safe first off to secure at least a point if FGR won tonight.
Quoted from chaos33
I wouldn't be holding any player in reserve with an eye on Tuesday. Tomorrow is everything.

Don't agree at all - if we want the title Tuesday's just as important as tomorrow.
We need both, we may need them all !
Quoted from chaos33
We will win on Tuesday too, whatever the selection.

Won't be a walkover by any means IMO.

Their last 3 home games read:
Luton 0-0
Kidderminster 0-1
Alfreton 1-0

They're fighting for their lives down the bottom so won't be an easy game.
Last thing we should do is think we only need to turn up.
We need to take a strong (preferably not jaded from Saturday) team down there IMO.
Reply: 10 - 25
bradzmilne
March 15, 2013, 10:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
Call me old fashioned but you've just got to play the best team avaliable to you on the day?

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
80sglory
March 15, 2013, 11:06pm
Guest User
Depends what you mean by "best" I suppose.

I'm sure I could beat Mo Farah at the 100m if he'd just finished running a double marathon.
Extreme example but the principle of keeping players fresh after giving 100% remains.

No disrespect to players like Artus, Thanoj, LJL etc but if we played them away from home I'd be worried for our title ambitions would all but go.

Perhaps we should play the best tomorrow and just bag the win, but it's Tuesday that I'm wondering about...
Almost every time I read a report it's "Cooky looked knackered at the end".
Not to mention all the bumps and bruises they carry + end of season fatigue.
Reply: 12 - 25
bradzmilne
March 15, 2013, 11:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from 1600
Depends what you mean by "best" I suppose.

I'm sure I could beat Mo Farah at the 100m if he'd just finish running a double marathon.
Extreme example but the principle of keeping players fresh after giving 100% remains.

No disrespect to players like Artus, Thanoj, LJL etc but if we played them away from home I'd be worried for our title ambitions would all but go.

Perhaps we should play the best tomorrow and just bag the win, but it's Tuesday that I'm wondering about...
Almost every time I read a report it's "Cooky looked knackered at the end".
Not to mention all the bumps and bruises they carry + end of season fatigue.

Best as in (for example)  
Who's going to have a bigger postive impact during a game,
Andy Cook at 70% fitness
or: Lenell John Lewis at 100%
Thats the choice the gaffers have to make

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
chaos33
March 15, 2013, 11:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,017
Gold Stars: 362
Not saying it will be easy on Tuesday am I. Just fancy us.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
80sglory
March 15, 2013, 11:23pm
Guest User
Quoted from bradzmilne

Best as in (for example)  
Who's going to have a bigger postive impact during a game,
Andy Cook at 70% fitness
or: Lenell John Lewis at 100%
Thats the choice the gaffers have to make

Yeah that's what I was getting at really.
If they choose Cooky at 70% he'll drop to 60% or something like that.

Don't think we should carry players if they're sh1t for the sake of it if we're chasing the title, no matter how fit they are though.  
But having signed LJL on a permanent I'd be suprised if we've seen the best. (least I hope not !)

That's what they get paid for - to choose players who are good enough to perform and win.
They've (and we've) got to help make sure anyone who plays delivers otherwise the title is near impossible.

Now I'm starting to wonder if we should play the best side tomorrow.  
But we'll only be putting the issue off for another day.

I feel it's time for certain players to start fulfilling their potential and come good.
Reply: 15 - 25
Mighty_Mariner
March 16, 2013, 6:39am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,246
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Stevie Saunders
Macca
Hatton
Miller
Pearson
Thomas
Marshall
Naylor
Thanoj
Hannah
Cook

I understand you maybe wanting to think outside the box and keep the opposition guessing - but I'm not sure starting with 10 men is the way to go!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
Theimperialcoroner
March 16, 2013, 9:38am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,311
Gold Stars: 103
The best team we've got available is not far off the Starting line up from Tuesday. Thanoj was awful when he came on so debate on who to replace Disley and Marshall/Coulbeck on the wing is about all the fiddling with the team that is needed. IMO, it's that tinkering that has harmed our title hopes, albeit some of those changes have been forced on the team due to injuries.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
barralad
March 16, 2013, 12:28pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,300
Gold Stars: 127
Cannot even think about a team for Tuesday-So much depends on what happens today.

McKeown

Hatton, Pearson, Miller, Thomas

Devitt, Naylor, Artus, Marshall,

Hannah, Brodie.

I'd rest Cook. He has been the driving force behind just about everything we've done up front for the last month or two. At Mansfield on Tuesday I thought the strain was beginning to tell on him. In the earlier game between the two Cambridge struggled to come to terms with Brodie's game. He is fresh, and playing in front of what should be a decent sized home crowd should do the business.
Wasn't in the least impressed with Thanoj in the week-decent through pass aside. Time for the forgotten man?
For an hour at Mansfield Devitt and Marshall really got amongst Mansfield. Their potential to do even better against a weaker team sees both of them preferred to Colbeck. Whilst Mr Colbeck possesses decent defensive capabilities his delivery is quite frankly shocking.

As for the subs bench I'm not that bothered as I think we lack the personnel for a successful execution of a Plan B. "The shop" hasn't done a great deal wrong in any of the games he's played, Thanoj could cover the possibility that lightning may strike our midfield for a third time and a raring to go Bradley Wood would always be an advantage late in a game.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
pontoonlew
March 16, 2013, 1:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
It's nuts seeing some of the teams touted about on here right now. The reason we've dipped for me is the crazy tinkering that's gone on in the past 2-3 months (probably to accomadate the flipping shop), i'd be pretty miffed if S&H haven't learnt their lesson and tinker yet again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
northbankmariner
March 16, 2013, 1:20pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
cooke 70% or john lewis ?

surely a beter option is brodie at 100% or am i missing something?

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
pontoonlew
March 16, 2013, 1:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from northbankmariner
cooke 70% or john lewis ?

surely a beter option is brodie at 100% or am i missing something?

It's the biggest game of the season so far, a loss here and we can kiss goodbye to the league. At what point is John Lewis, a guy who's not scored a single goal for us and a guy who we've actually conceeded more when he's been on the pitch than scored, a better option than our top scorer?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
barralad
March 16, 2013, 1:46pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from pontoonlew

It's the biggest game of the season so far, a loss here and we can kiss goodbye to the league. At what point is John Lewis, a guy who's not scored a single goal for us and a guy who we've actually conceeded more when he's been on the pitch than scored, a better option than our top scorer?

Do you ever read properly what anyone else has said. Our "top scorer" is showing signs of fatigue. The dilemma for the managers is whether to push him on or take him out of the fray for a couple of games to let him recharge. It's no use saying that this is a big game-I suspect they all will be between now and the end of the season. Cook gets injured and you'll get your dream team wish of Brodie and LJL up front....

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
80sglory
March 16, 2013, 7:58pm
Guest User
Well there you go - after today I rest my case !

I understand people are desperate to win.
But if today doesn't prove "play the best team and MAKE SURE YOU WIN" is no more than wishful thinking then I'm not sure what will.  

Too many are burying their heads in the sand regards fatigue IMO.
Anyway let's just keep ignoring these fatigue issues and not think ahead to the consequences if things go wrong.  

I had a feeling the managers would play Cook and Brodie today.
My wild guess is they were overly frightened about playing LJL just in case we lost.
Well if so, then how very ironic !  

Perhaps they need to grow a pair themselves - not the first time I've said they should do what THEY think is best.
Ok well they DID, but wouldn't be suprised if it was motivated partly through fear.
If not then they've made a rare mistake IMO.
Reply: 23 - 25
barralad
March 16, 2013, 8:10pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from 1600
Well there you go - after today I rest my case !

I understand people are desperate to win.
But if today doesn't prove "play the best team and MAKE SURE YOU WIN" is no more than wishful thinking then I'm not sure what will.  

Too many are burying their heads in the sand regards fatigue IMO.
Anyway let's just keep ignoring these fatigue issues and not think ahead to the consequences if things go wrong.  

I had a feeling the managers would play Cook and Brodie today.
My wild guess is they were overly frightened about playing LJL just in case we lost.
Well if so, then how very ironic !  

Perhaps they need to grow a pair themselves - not the first time I've said they should do what THEY think is best.
Ok well they DID, but wouldn't be suprised if it was motivated partly through fear.
If not then they've made a rare mistake IMO.

The mistake was playing Cook. He needs a rest.

As far as the rest goes I'd put a sizeable sum of money that nothing the two managers do is motivated by any sort of fear especially not the fear of losing.

By the way: Aren't we rapidly approaching the point where we have little or no choice about who plays in certain positions because of the injuries?

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
80sglory
March 16, 2013, 8:27pm
Guest User
Quoted from barralad
As far as the rest goes I'd put a sizeable sum of money that nothing the two managers do is motivated by any sort of fear especially not the fear of losing.

Who knows but I'm not convinced tbh.

Some (or the vast majority) throw their toys out the pram as soon as you mention "squad rotation" or not picking the best team like it's the worst thing in the world and somehow spells disaster.
It's never had much support at all.
Anyway who knows...
If I was manager I would just sod what everyone else thought - easier said than done perhaps...

Quoted from barralad
By the way: Aren't we rapidly approaching the point where we have little or no choice about who plays in certain positions because of the injuries?

Good point but they had a choice to rest Cook today.
They could have even rested Thomas and put Wood at left back like they've done before.
I wouldn't have done it simply because I don't like Wood at left back on his wrong foot.
But I'm sure the suggestion wouldn't have gone down well either.
It's all easy in hindsight I suppose but wouldn't be suprised if they at least had it in their minds at some point.
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for Cambridge (and Nuneaton)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.