March 12, 2013, 10:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from chaos33
No, I agree with you, it's not good.
However, I don't think we 'bottled it' tonight.

I dont just mean tonight i mean when we have to step up we never really do.

We always seem to come short and thats why i say we bottle it.

we get so close then just dont really end up delivering for the past couple seasons.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 290 - 299
I am Um Bongo
March 12, 2013, 10:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +3
Always the bridesmaid never the bride - The Grimsby Town story.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/Um_Bongo.png[/img]
I love you Um Bongo, we will be best friends forever <3
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 291 - 299
CairnsMariner
March 12, 2013, 10:20pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +21
We've just lost to two of thr form sides in the league - one of whom has just set a club record for consequtive wins. Whilst this has undobtedly been a reality check for us supporterss, it was still two very hard fixtures that were always going to be hard games to get anything out of. Seems to me that today, especially, we played well. We lost, again, but take a look at the legue table, we are hardly out of the race for automatic qualification. Do you really  think that Wrexham, Newport and Mansfield are THAT good that they will win all of their games? I don't. And the dip in results that we have suffered is very likely to affect each of them too.

What the management at BP need to focus on is getting us believing again. Clearly we are good enough to beat anybody in this league on our day - we just need to start actually doing it again. I hope that the negativity on here doesn't spread to the supporters at the grounds - Town need the fans to believe too.

We can still put a good run of results together - sure we need to see the sides above us falter, but I bet every one of them does - we just need to be there to take advantage when they do.

Keep the faith fellow Mariners. A bad result (but by the sounds of it a good game and a decent performance) but let's get over it and look to the next game (at least when they come this thick and fast there isn't time to dwell on the last one)

Up The Mariners

There's a crooked street in Grimsby Town
It's a well worn path I've travelled down
Now there's ruin in my name, I wish i'd never got off the train
And I wish I'd listened to the words you said....
...Don't go down to Freeman Street
Don't go down to Freeman Street
You'll be lost and never found
You can never turn around
Don't go down to Freeman Street

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 292 - 299
chaos33
March 12, 2013, 10:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,991
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I dont just mean tonight i mean when we have to step up we never really do.

We always seem to come short and thats why i say we bottle it.

we get so close then just dont really end up delivering for the past couple seasons.

I agree, we do. Is that about guts or commitment or concentration though, or is it about something else? I'd say it's more about quality.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 293 - 299
jonnyboy82
March 12, 2013, 10:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from chaos33

I agree, we do. Is that about guts or commitment or concentration though, or is it about something else? I'd say it's more about quality.

Guts desire and quality i say

but now i have calmed down a bit 3 points on sat might make feel better!

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 294 - 299
Spiritater
March 12, 2013, 11:34pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +138
To me you were unlucky. You deserved at least a point. I said to my mates a half time I'd be happy with a point against these they are a tidy side, you were the better side 1st half. We just have something going that'll take some stopping now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 295 - 299
Maringer
March 12, 2013, 11:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,663
Gold Stars: 189
Sometimes, a team goes on a run and the results just keep on coming, regardless of the performances.

We were like that a bit earlier in the season. Hopefully we'll get back there before too long!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 296 - 299
80sglory
March 13, 2013, 1:23am
Guest User

We have a game on saturday, monday, wednesday, saturday how is that an excuse to not win the title

A fairly good one.
But bear in mind we might not be playing the same players in every game but keeping them fresh.

Let's face it, if we're gonna win the title playing so many games, we're gonna need almost everyone to chip in.
Say what you want about "squad rotation" but as long as everyone who plays does a good job (is that ever guaranteed anyway ?) as they have done, you're far stronger.

Ok you might argue chopping and changing doesn't help but where's the real evidence or proof ?
Wasn't so long ago, we were rotating players (e.g. Brodie, Colbeck, Neilson) all over the shop and still banging in the goals top of the league.

The real sodomist I fear is losing key players like Niven - but that's 0 to do with "squad rotation".
Thankfully we've actually got this safety net of sorts as backup where others (most fit through playing) can come in.

Won't we be "chopping and changing" by bringing Hearn in ?
tbh I would seriously consider giving Hearn a fair old stint in the Trophy final (if he's up to it physically) and resting others for Gateshead.
But also fully respect what S&H say about players having to earn their places in advance and it not being fair on Liam (or anyone else) to say anyone's guaranteed anything before it happens.

If there's a problem then let's address it.
But think sometimes you've got to just accept you've been unlucky.

That said, there's always a good case for finding a best formula (especially v Cambridge !)
To me, Cook and Hannah for me looks the safest bet.
I've seen or read no reason yet to believe Hannah's mini goal drought is down to "confidence" issues.
Yes he was "trying too hard" when he returned but guess since, it's just been bad fortune and the goals will just return whenever they do.
Good to hear he had his best game tonight (shame he missed the chance !  )
But it proves it's not ALL about goals (if others can help score them) but a good contribution to the team.
Reply: 297 - 299
barralad
March 13, 2013, 5:11pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from fiveallive
I think i would off stayed with Bradley Wood for most of the games he's had enough rest, he could carry on playing we need someone who going to get stuck in. Which other players will respond i feel Sam Hatton is only in the team on the chance of a free kick, he should take more pot shots at goal but he dosen't.

This is wrong on so many fronts. Where is FFS when you need him.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 298 - 299
ska face
March 13, 2013, 5:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,770
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from fiveallive
I think i would off stayed with Bradley Wood for most of the games he's had enough rest, he could carry on playing we need someone who going to get stuck in. Which other players will respond i feel Sam Hatton is only in the team on the chance of a free kick, he should take more pot shots at goal but he dosen't.

You need your flipping head examining
Private Message
Reply: 299 - 299
30 Pages Prev ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mansfield Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.