This thread currently has 4,106 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
springstomind
March 12, 2013, 3:01pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +322
A little late in this thread however, after the Kidderminster game I went across the road with a mate and continued to drink until about 2300, I can't recall the name if the pub but opposite McDonald's. I was hungry after that so went to "Mariners Takeaway" as it was nearby and open, as if driven 5 hours from Essex I watch the game and don't get home all that often I fancied fish and chips and knew this would likely be the only place open that did it. When I asked if he could do me fish he said yes before serving me ICE cold battered fish which was literally solid , along with thin kebab like chips... I told him whereby he said ill warm it up.. And proceeded to attempt to put an already battered fig in the fryer, I said can I just have a kebab ill pay the deficit if there is any.. I then got served a cold donner kebab lol.. After walking 10-20 metres up the road I couldn't bare it and spotted a Chinese to my left hand side... Approximately half way between mariners takeaway and the old leakin boot hotel site ( can't remember the name) I asked if they did warm food to which the woman immediately laughed and said you've not been to mariners have you.. And proceeded to state how unhygienic and unprofessional they are and how it's a shame that people and certainly away fans associate the take away with the club. I then got a piping hot chicken balls rice and curry sauce for a fiver and enjoyed the rest of my night... Please no matter how desperate you are .. Don't go there. Rant over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
Codzilla
March 12, 2013, 3:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Quoted from springstomind
A little late in this thread however, after the Kidderminster game I went across the road with a mate and continued to drink until about 2300, I can't recall the name if the pub but opposite McDonald's. I was hungry after that so went to "Mariners Takeaway" as it was nearby and open, as if driven 5 hours from Essex I watch the game and don't get home all that often I fancied fish and chips and knew this would likely be the only place open that did it. When I asked if he could do me fish he said yes before serving me ICE cold battered fish which was literally solid , along with thin kebab like chips... I told him whereby he said ill warm it up.. And proceeded to attempt to put an already battered fig in the fryer, I said can I just have a kebab ill pay the deficit if there is any.. I then got served a cold donner kebab lol.. After walking 10-20 metres up the road I couldn't bare it and spotted a Chinese to my left hand side... Approximately half way between mariners takeaway and the old leakin boot hotel site ( can't remember the name) I asked if they did warm food to which the woman immediately laughed and said you've not been to mariners have you.. And proceeded to state how unhygienic and unprofessional they are and how it's a shame that people and certainly away fans associate the take away with the club. I then got a piping hot chicken balls rice and curry sauce for a fiver and enjoyed the rest of my night... Please no matter how desperate you are .. Don't go there. Rant over.

Honestly, it's like they try to be bad.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
Jarmo.Is.God
March 13, 2013, 3:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
HA ! my friend found a spider on his sausage once from there !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
LH
March 13, 2013, 7:10pm

Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,611
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
HA ! my friend found a spider on his sausage once from there !

Wehey!

On a similar note, my mate bought a kebab and chips from Pizza Pan down Cromwell Rd one night. There were black hairs all over his chips. The bloke behind the desk told him not to worry as they were the legs of spiders that climb into the light above where the chips are kept warm after cooking. At least he was honest I suppose.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
Dan_Barker
March 13, 2013, 8:09pm

Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +5
On the topic of dodgy takeaways, I wouldn't recommend Istanbul in town, over priced, tasteless and vile food, reminded me a bit of the burger vans

take me home
Grimsby road
to the place
I belong
to Blundell Park
to see the Mariners
take me home
Grimsby Road

twitter.com/BarkerDan7
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
aaron rattray
March 13, 2013, 8:48pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
Milamoes is brilliant

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
FishOutOfWater
March 13, 2013, 11:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,586
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from 75

Possibly harsh comments there. I think in general it's fair to say Indians make better Indian food, Chinese people make better Chinese food and British people make better fish and chips. Then again, some people are always looking to ignore the obvious and play the racism card.

My favourite takeaway is Flames in Town, quality cheesy growlers. Not sure where they're from but nice chaps and quality food.

The mental picture I have of a cheesy growler does nothing at all for my appetite!  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 31
fiveallive
March 14, 2013, 5:00am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +230
Gold Stars: 5
New China is the best chinese takeaway.

Gino's Pizza is the best for Pizza Kebabs etc.

I used to be a fan Popular Road chippy haven't been their in years, i think its been taken over. Ernie Becketts is nice chippy, The best for me is Beachombe Chippy just simply the best haven't been their for a while but always nice.

As for Mariner's just awful the food is always cold.

I can remember going into Sid's a while back for dinner time asked if they had fresh Donner Meat she said yes so i orded a Portion of Donner Meat, and she takes out of them pans and microwaves it all the meat was covered in fat and grease from the previous night. Just binned it straight i felt i would have a heart attack eating it.

The only good thing about Sid's is they deliver at dinner time, which is rare not many deliver at dinner time. Only in the evening, so its good if you have to stay in you don't have to worry about nipping out.

I'm glad i cut down on the takeaways as i use the words a while back quite alot i have lost over 3 stone since i cut back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
Dan_Barker
March 14, 2013, 12:20pm

Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +5
Quoted from fiveallive
New China is the best chinese takeaway.

Gino's Pizza is the best for Pizza Kebabs etc.

I used to be a fan Popular Road chippy haven't been their in years, i think its been taken over. Ernie Becketts is nice chippy, The best for me is Beachombe Chippy just simply the best haven't been their for a while but always nice.

As for Mariner's just awful the food is always cold.

I can remember going into Sid's a while back for dinner time asked if they had fresh Donner Meat she said yes so i orded a Portion of Donner Meat, and she takes out of them pans and microwaves it all the meat was covered in fat and grease from the previous night. Just binned it straight i felt i would have a heart attack eating it.

The only good thing about Sid's is they deliver at dinner time, which is rare not many deliver at dinner time. Only in the evening, so its good if you have to stay in you don't have to worry about nipping out.

I'm glad i cut down on the takeaways as i use the words a while back quite alot i have lost over 3 stone since i cut back.

I'm in agreement with you about Gino's, it has that good balance of being nice when urined and also when sober, and their garlic bread is the best i've ever had

take me home
Grimsby road
to the place
I belong
to Blundell Park
to see the Mariners
take me home
Grimsby Road

twitter.com/BarkerDan7
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
Les Brechin
March 14, 2013, 9:43pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
According to the GT today they're doing a token collect next week to get half price fish 'n' chips from............The Mariners.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners takeaway

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.