Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Beware!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 279 Guests

Beware!

This thread currently has 3,213 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
chaos33
February 12, 2013, 10:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,974
Gold Stars: 360
I quite like the defiance of it. He's almost affronted by the Buckle comment, and the subtext is that he might think that it was a deliberate dig/insult at us from Luton. A bit of kidology if you like. He's meeting that head on and I like that. He's sort of saying "yeah, well, y'know what?...that's b0llocks. We're the best team because we're top of the league. And think on, because we're not even in top gear yet, so watch and learn."

Is it me?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
80sglory
February 13, 2013, 12:37am
Guest User
Who knows, suppose only Hurst does.

In terms of body language to me it felt like a well measured response than a show of defiance toward anyone.

If he's talking to the fans ("So, we'll always strive to be better" ?), whether he's telling them to feel confident about things or just to see the positives I've no idea.

Generally speaking really don't know if it's good for fans (or managers in general) to be outwardly bold in confidence and positivity or not.
But I wouldn't expect these managers to be in case it goes wrong and they end up with egg on their face.

Hurst doesn't strike me as an outwardly upbeat or defiant character, more a positive but quietly confident "feet on the ground" kind of bloke.
But who knows, his choice of words do sound a shade defiant so can certainly understand why you say that.
Reply: 21 - 25
chaos33
February 13, 2013, 7:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,974
Gold Stars: 360
I agree with your character assessment of him - I like his quietly confident style and think it balances out Scott's beligerence to a degree. In that quote I just felt there was just a hint of defiance and passion in response to another manager's comments without giving much away or losing his composure.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
Munster
February 13, 2013, 7:39am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Game in hand on most teams around us and still top result!

Have followed Town for all my life during the ups and downs.

My son plays for school of excellence which is so well run without any funding and can see some future stars in the lower age teams.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
Garth
February 13, 2013, 10:01am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Horses for courses in this league I`m afraid Buckers, these guys seemed to have got it right, and we will save the fancy Dan type of football for the league next season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
80sglory
February 13, 2013, 3:35pm
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
I agree with your character assessment of him - I like his quietly confident style and think it balances out Scott's beligerence to a degree. In that quote I just felt there was just a hint of defiance and passion in response to another manager's comments without giving much away or losing his composure.

Yeah that's exactly what I thought you were getting at.  

Think it's an excellent question (as we know only Hurst really knows) which really made me put my thinking cap on.

I wonder what others think - is he being defiant and confident or steady as he goes with a positive angle ?

Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Beware!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.