Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 57 Guests

Buxton preview - Hurst on MP

This thread currently has 609 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
80sglory
November 23, 2012, 8:09pm
Guest User
Colbeck not quite ready for Saturday, hoping to be back for Ebbsfleet.
Miller will come in for Pondy.

Interesting one !

Paul Hurst: "After that I don't envisage too many changes. We're on a good run. We might tweak one or two things but certainly won't be wholesale changes and we expect to win the game."

Matt Dean: "Are you thinking of winning the FA Trophy at this stage ?

Paul Hurst: "I am. And I hope the players are. Again that's a motivation that while ever we're in this league and this competition, we said it last year when we got through a couple of rounds and then just fell short against York in a tight game. But I think it's the last 64 and realistically, Saturday's a game we should win but as I said we've gotta go in with the right attitude. But you get through that one, the last 32 all of a sudden. And on current standings, we'd have to be one of the favourites, if not THE favourites so, why not ? It's a big day out, it's a great day out for the fans, for the players, for us as managers and the club in general. The revenue it would bring in to the club in terms of merchandise, and that's what us eyes on, is winning it but very much with a focus on Saturday cos again, if we take our eyes off that one, that's where we get caught out, we've seen enough upsets over the years, whether it's Trophy, whether it's FA Cup with a bigger sort of league gap than ourselves and Buxton so we have to be right."

Yes we've had enough cup upsets but Chasetown was a disaster because we PLAYED the 1st team and not the reserves !  
Would exit from the Trophy playing the reserves REALLY be a disaster anyway ?

Matt Dean: "York went on to win the Trophy didn't they last season and also went on to achieve promotion, is that worth reminding a few people of then that you can do that ?"

Paul Hurst: "I think so because, I think they had a bigger squad, certainly in the end but that's something, if we are still in the competition and we're still, well I think either way depending on results once we get into January, we're still gonna be in the mix no matter what so, that's something we'll have to look at in January and a decision will be made we might have to bolster the squad with 2 or 3 extra bodies. Erm..."

Matt Dean: "Are finances being made available do you think if you're still up there ?"

Paul Hurst: "We haven't had that conversation as yet, but I'm sure that if there's any possibility they can be then they will because things are going well. I keep getting told there's a good buzz around the area and if we're not going to make a push for it now, then I don't think we ever will so, I'm sure that'll be met with a little bit of questioning shall we say but at the same time, providing we can put a case to John, Mr Fenty then I'm sure he'll back us if he can."

Good points there.
Only think I'm questioning is, if we're still in the League and the Trophy are we gonna be putting out the extra 3 bodies (on the fringes ?) for the Trophy ?
If so, then shouldn't we be putting out the fringe players now anyway ? Confusing !

The point there's a certainly a buzz and to keep it going is a fair one.
Although think the buzz for the next home league game might also partly be based on our future away form too.

But think Hurst is right.
Too right we've got to be right !
Especially if we're playing a (near) full strength team cos I dread to think what the implications might be if it goes wrong.  
And that's still not taking into account any injuries or suspensions we may pick up too.
And it's not like we've got a huge squad either.
Guess it'll probably pass off with a win and no major worries but still think it's risky.

Also don't understand why, if we're keen to let Simon Ford go out for match practice (though not right now they want to keep everyone here), why they wouldn't want them to gain much needed match practice ?
Guess we don't have a huge amount of faith the 2nd team/fringe players can win at home to Buxton ?   
Presumably some are now gonna have to wait until the reserve game in December.
Is it just fear of losing ? And what happens if it goes to a replay ?!!
Blimey, we're certainly upping the stakes and we better win this one !  
tbh I wouldn't be completely suprised if we're thinking of the financial benefits (mentioned) and that's whats making the difference.

Either way it's confused logic (least to me) though tbf, I appreciate all the positives and points made.
At least we'll probably still have more chance of a win, being in the competition, good feeling (but again there's no guarantee and can't the fringer players deliver that too ?) etc.

Touchwood it won't go wrong but to hear Hurst say:

"They work extremely hard and press well. That's one thing I would say that they're very good at, pressurise the opposition and force mistakes, they didn't give them much time on the ball."

Win lose or draw, just hope there aren't lots of physical challenges flying in for THEIR Cup final and we don't end up with injuries.
If you ask me it's near bonkers taking any risks, fingers (and toes) crossed nothing goes pear shaped on the day.

If we're not gonna not play the ressies, perhaps we might even be best off playing the strongest side possible instead of tinkering "here and there" and risking upsetting the applecart like we did vs Chasetown ?

Either way still think we should be cheering on a full reserve side to victory.
Les Brechin
November 23, 2012, 8:17pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
What about the Buxton game?  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 4
80sglory
November 23, 2012, 8:18pm
Guest User

Oh sugar...
Give me 1 sec Les  
Reply: 2 - 4
80sglory
November 23, 2012, 8:20pm
Guest User
Phew... Thanks for that Les.
My edit reason was "Being a plonker" but can't see it - could be cos it's the thread title.
Reply: 3 - 4
Garth
November 23, 2012, 10:49pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,937
Gold Stars: 27
Winning is a good habit, lets play the strongest team and change it only if we are goals up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Buxton preview - Hurst on MP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.