Googlebot and 80 Guests

Ebbsfleet United FC in a pickle

This thread currently has 2,814 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
November 23, 2012, 2:26pm
Guest User
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
It was never going to work out with the My Football Club takeover. The idea that thousands of people off the internet can run one football club is absurd, it's like if the Fishy was in charge of Town, it would be chaos.

Who's talking about everyone running it though ?
Just personally I'm no so keen on the trust even being sat on the board and they're probably the most intelligent of the lot ! (or they at least seem to be).

Isn't it more about a principle of fans being able to help make contributions and decisions for themselves to help the club as a whole ?

There was talk before about volunteers etc and basic fact is, just like trust levels, it hasn't really caught on like wildfire.

Personally I would consider a scheme where the trust allow fans to decide where their own efforts and money go, as an additional top-up to internal board budgets and decisions.
Whether it's helping to fund (and who knows possibly pick !) the reserves, making a contribution to a future "bailout" fund, helping to buy a player (imagine the choice they'd have right now !) or even replacing the speaker system or even buying air horns. i.e. give them THEIR choice to decide what and where and if people like their ideas, they'll support them..

It's all well and good saying individuals can make little difference but it's a hardly a roaring success right now and if you give fans a chance to MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS and contribute (EXTERNAL to internal board workings) and feel part of what's being achieved, we've probably got a much better chance of all having a sense of pride, worth and value and all pulling together ESPECIALLY should we not get promoted next season when any possible large cuts hit home.

Just don't see how it can hurt.
As I've said before, the amount of time people spend on here moaning makes you wonder what could be achieved if they had their own projects to think of, focus on and work towards for the benefit of everyone.

Sorry but you can say "follow follow follow" all day long but the proof is in the pudding.
Perhaps people won't follow this idea either I don't know, but certainly think there's at least an opportunity for everyone to have their cake and eat it.

Basic principle = use everyone's talents and efforts (along with the wonders of SHARED on line communication to help) and collectively think we'd probably be a lot stronger (or at the very least busier !). Never underestimate the snowball effect too.
Tell you one thing, if it WAS tried and people were STILL doing nothing other than complaining about JF, then that would tell it's own story !
Reply: 10 - 22
FFS
November 23, 2012, 2:36pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +38 / -2
Approval: +252
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from 1600

As I've said before, the amount of time people spend on here moaning makes you wonder what could be achieved if they had their own projects to think of, focus on and work towards for the benefit of everyone.

FFS

"He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness in others."
-Samuel Johnson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
80sglory
November 23, 2012, 2:54pm
Guest User
Sorry you've lost me there don't understand your point at all.
You think it's better for people to moan do you ?
Any suprise when the footy isn't on people get easily bored ?
FFS.
Reply: 12 - 22
davmariner
November 23, 2012, 2:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,987
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from aaron rattray
Well town shall take a couple hundred so that shall help

You wouldn't annoy me anywhere near as much as you do if you didn't persist with the world 'shall' whenever possible. What's wrong with the word 'will'? It's what most people use.

Well town will take a couple hundred so that will help

Does that not sound more natural???

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
GodHelpUs
November 23, 2012, 3:00pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +21 / -3
Approval: -1
Quoted from 1600

Just personally I'm no so keen on the trust even being sat on the board and they're probably the most intelligent of the lot ! (or they at least seem to be).

Isn't it more about a principle of fans being able to help make contributions and decisions for themselves to help the club as a whole ?

There was talk before about volunteers etc and basic fact is, just like trust levels, it hasn't really caught on like wildfire.

Personally I would consider a scheme where the trust allow fans to decide where their own efforts and money go, as an additional top-up to internal board budgets and decisions.
Whether it's helping to fund (and who knows possibly pick !) the reserves, making a contribution to a future "bailout" fund, helping to buy a player (imagine the choice they'd have right now !) or even replacing the speaker system or even buying air horns. i.e. give them THEIR choice to decide what and where and if people like their ideas, they'll support them..

It's all well and good saying individuals can make little difference but it's a hardly a roaring success right now and if you give fans a chance to MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS and contribute (EXTERNAL to internal board workings) and feel part of what's being achieved, we've probably got a much better chance of all having a sense of pride, worth and value and all pulling together ESPECIALLY should we not get promoted next season when any possible large cuts hit home.

Sorry but you can say "follow follow follow" all day long but the proof is in the pudding.
Perhaps people won't follow this idea either I don't know, but certainly think there's at least an opportunity for everyone to have their cake and eat it.

Basic principle = use everyone's talents and efforts (along with the wonders of SHARED on line communication to help) and collectively think we'd probably be a lot stronger (or at the very least busier !). Never underestimate the snowball effect too.
Tell you one thing, if it WAS tried and people were STILL doing nothing other than complaining about JF, then that would tell it's own story !

Please read this 80s!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyFootballClub
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
Manchester Mariner
November 23, 2012, 3:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,826
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from 1600

Are you talking about The trust here? just that I was talking about Ebbsfleet like the thread is titled and their bonkers 'Run by thousands of people off the internet based all over the world' model which seems to have pretty much crippled the club.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
80sglory
November 23, 2012, 3:30pm
Guest User
Quoted from GodHelpUs

Thanks for posting this !

There seem to be similarities there but it's not really the same is it ?

"making many of the decisions usually made by the manager"

Well for me, that's out for a start ! (unless perhaps the reserves to engage loads of interest)

Interesting to me it says...
"Some commentators have noted that participation in votes on the MyFC website has decreased since the initial takeover vote"

Could this be because they're all dotted all over the world without the knowledge of the club ?...

Who knows how well run the project was run but it says "Despite criticisms of the ownership model which point at a decrease in membership numbers"

But surely the BIG difference is:
" The Independent reported that MyFootballClub had raised approximately £500,000 in the first 20 days it had been collecting funds from members to purchase a football club."

Presumably fans have always been free to buy shares ?
But don't think I'm suggesting anyone buys any or even buys the club here ?

Blimey, some fans struggle to raise a few quid for matchdays yet they still give generously too but can't see them taking over the club somehow ?

Simply saying fans might (not saying they will) use their intimate and personal skills and knowledge to contribute more to the CLUBS CAUSE if they can see their efforts and energy making a difference.

Ebbsfleet tailed off but (whilst it's not really the same as I've said) would this one ?
Who knows, maybe it would but it doesn't have to mean "ownership" ?
Wouldn't some people just like to use their skills and efforts and contribute to help ?
You can't argue that it also helped to initially raise a lot of money !

I honestly think people confuse ownership with participation.
Reply: 16 - 22
80sglory
November 23, 2012, 3:36pm
Guest User
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

Are you talking about The trust here?

Only as far as the trust could possibly head a scheme to increase numbers and allow fans to involve themselves more.
But like I said, as far as I'm concerned it's got nothing to do with "ownership".
Presumably the bigger decisions would be still be made by the club (at boardroom level) and it's staff.
Reply: 17 - 22
80sglory
November 23, 2012, 3:49pm
Guest User
But hey, it's only an idea.
Sure some may be equally happy for the trust to have a place on the board and be represented through a representative.
Was really, just thinking about tapping into people's efforts and skills to help make a difference.
Mainly a financial one but by using their own ideas, energy and decisions to help the club as a whole.
You could certainly argue people are free to "help the trust" too though presumably it doesn't allow much room on a day to day basis for individual say or creativity.
Reply: 18 - 22
jock dock tower
November 23, 2012, 5:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Well town shall take a couple hundred so that shall help

You wouldn't annoy me anywhere near as much as you do if you didn't persist with the world 'shall' whenever possible. What's wrong with the word 'will'? It's what most people use.

Well town will take a couple hundred so that should help - that's better!

Does that not sound more natural???

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ebbsfleet United FC in a pickle

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.