Marcus Marshall

This thread currently has 2,531 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Whats_Up_Doc
November 18, 2012, 10:29am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / -2
I see a lot of potential in Marshall and he played well yesterday. He's got lots of pace and looks a threat when running at the opposition. However I think he needs to work on his awareness of other players and to not try to take on too many players. I think he's trying too hard to impress people.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Super Clive
November 18, 2012, 10:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
He's certainly impressed me...I think with a bit more experience he'll be ace at this level...reminds me of Matty Blair abit
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
RoboCod
November 18, 2012, 10:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Town look the business with Nielson and Marshall out wide. The deadliest attacking force in the division right now, as the GD column clearly shows. Who would have predicted this when Hearns injury news first broke  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
merge shottx
November 18, 2012, 10:51am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
like the lad ,played well last 2 games and is a threat ,he has had 2 players sent off for fouling him ,wins us many free kicks that we r dangerous from ,the more he plays the better he will get
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
aaron rattray
November 18, 2012, 11:13am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
Must sign pond nielson hannah and Marshall on permanent whatever the cost getting rid of ford soares and elding will ensure we can

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
Maringer
November 18, 2012, 11:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,703
Gold Stars: 189
I think both Marshall and Neilson hold onto the ball a little too long at times when a pass would be better but I can forgive them this because their positive approach has helped to put the opposition on the back foot. It is noticeable that our forwards haven't been as isolated in the past couple of games as earlier in the season as both of the wingers have the pace to get up and down the pitch well and the central midfielders are getting the confidence to move up in support as well.

Things are looking good at the moment but my one concern is that so much of our play relies on loannees. How many of them will stay/re-sign when their loan deals expire?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
Super Clive
November 18, 2012, 11:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
NOt as easy as that Aaron.

Neilson and Hannah run out on the 23rd of December so we can't do anything til at least 1st January even then we have to sign them to end of season on loan..

Pond runs out sometime in Jan again we can only extend till end of season. Or sign perm!

Marshall is the least priority at the min the lad loan finishes next month I think I'm right in saying we can extend it by another month? Then if that works out when it finishes we can extend it again till end of season?
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
chaos33
November 18, 2012, 11:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,016
Gold Stars: 362
Agree looks good. For me, the key player is Nielson. Technically the best player we've got and really hoping we can keep him.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
jamesgtfc
November 18, 2012, 11:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,105
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Maringer
I think both Marshall and Neilson hold onto the ball a little too long at times when a pass would be better but I can forgive them this because their positive approach has helped to put the opposition on the back foot. It is noticeable that our forwards haven't been as isolated in the past couple of games as earlier in the season as both of the wingers have the pace to get up and down the pitch well and the central midfielders are getting the confidence to move up in support as well.

Things are looking good at the moment but my one concern is that so much of our play relies on loannees. How many of them will stay/re-sign when their loan deals expire?

I think we have a good chance of signing them all until at least the end of the season if we are still up there come January as it will provide them first team football for a successful team and potentially another shot at league football next season.

I think in this team all the loanees would shine in the league above. Pond is absolutely brilliant. A sheer physical presence in both boxes and not afraid to play it. That cross for Hannah's goal was phenomenal.  I think Marshall is better on the left cutting inside but his pace frightens teams.

Loanees aside though the rest of the team is strong. Cook played brilliantly again yesterday. His link up play and work for the team is brilliant. I think Hatton will get an extended run in the team due to his shooting ability. The fact that at present we have two threats from free kicks in Hatton and Nielson can only inspire us to score more from set plays.

Early on I thought we were missing Niven and against the bigger teams we will need him in the team - but at times Thanoj and Disley were pivotal in helping tear Braintree apart.

The future is bright and that was my last game until Hereford in January. I just hope that the team can stay together as the loanees are pivotal to our success.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
marinerian
November 18, 2012, 11:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Having to wide men with such pace and desire to make direct runs, really scares defenders.

Both have been outstanding, yes they make take too many players on but when they have made that awsome pass, cross or free kick they have been deadly to the opposition.

By having two players like this we will really stretch many teams, as they have to double up on both players, this gives our attackers more space and midfield a bit more time on the ball.

For me Hannah has been a breath of fresh air, he is deadly in and around the box and is a natural goalscorer. What a deal, Elding out and someone who can score goals, we got in  

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
grimsby pete
November 18, 2012, 11:58am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,841
Gold Stars: 222
If we sign them to the end of the season it will be ok for us and them,

Then next season when we are back in the league,

We can offer them a better deal than we could offer now.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
oldun
November 18, 2012, 12:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Marcus is a strong quick player and a handful for defenders. Would like to see a bit more end product, e.g. good cross or final pass. I think when he gets towards the penalty area he is trying too hard to work a shooting opening for himself. I am sure S & H can improve his game if he stays.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
agrimevertonian
November 18, 2012, 12:17pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -27
the Neilson and Hannah loans run out on the 23rd of December .....am i the only one worried we could be a bit light on game winners for the Lincoln & Mansfield away games....thats as long as we can do deals to keep them long term if not were in for a bumpy ride after...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
marinerian
November 18, 2012, 12:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Quoted from agrimevertonian
the Neilson and Hannah loans run out on the 23rd of December .....am i the only one worried we could be a bit light on game winners for the Lincoln & Mansfield away games....thats as long as we can do deals to keep them long term if not were in for a bumpy ride after...

Maybe so but look at it like this, a couple of fresh legs, wanting to impress, a nice little rest for those loanees and if we do win these games or get 4 points from them, then it will be a job well done.

To be honest we must take one game at a time!

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
davmariner
November 18, 2012, 1:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,983
Gold Stars: 79
Can we definitely not renew Hannah and Neilson's loan deals so they can play over Xmas? What a nightmare!!!!!!!

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
cleefish
November 18, 2012, 1:50pm
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6

Things are looking good at the moment but my one concern is that so much of our play relies on loannees. How many of them will stay/re-sign when their loan deals expire?[/quote]

this as been my worry here's hoping we do sign the lone players if we are to exit this hell hole of a league.utmD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
Quagmire
November 18, 2012, 5:29pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
All depends on finances.

Nielson & Hannah are 'must haves' IMO if we are serious about getting out of this league.  

Pond and Marshall are 'nice to haves' - Miller is more than a suitable replacement if we don't sign Pond.  Colebeck will step in if Marshall returns to Bury.

In an ideal world all 4 would sign but we would need to move players on - Ford or Miller, possibly Artus.  Hopefully Elding won't return which will help towards the cost of Hannah.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
November 18, 2012, 5:30pm
Guest User
Quoted from Quagmire
All depends on finances.

Nielson & Hannah are 'must haves' IMO if we are serious about getting out of this league.  

Pond and Marshall are 'nice to haves' - Miller is more than a suitable replacement if we don't sign Pond.  Colebeck will step in if Marshall returns to Bury.

In an ideal world all 4 would sign but we would need to move players on - Ford or Miller, possibly Artus.  Hopefully Elding won't return which will help towards the cost of Hannah.

If Soares, Elding, Ford and someone else is to leave then that should cover the wages for all 4 of them to sign.
Reply: 17 - 20
80sglory
November 18, 2012, 5:31pm
Guest User
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I think we have a good chance of signing them all until at least the end of the season if we are still up there come January as it will provide them first team football for a successful team and potentially another shot at league football next season.

I think in this team all the loanees would shine in the league above. Pond is absolutely brilliant. A sheer physical presence in both boxes and not afraid to play it. That cross for Hannah's goal was phenomenal.  I think Marshall is better on the left cutting inside but his pace frightens teams.

Loanees aside though the rest of the team is strong. Cook played brilliantly again yesterday. His link up play and work for the team is brilliant. I think Hatton will get an extended run in the team due to his shooting ability. The fact that at present we have two threats from free kicks in Hatton and Nielson can only inspire us to score more from set plays.

Early on I thought we were missing Niven and against the bigger teams we will need him in the team - but at times Thanoj and Disley were pivotal in helping tear Braintree apart.

The future is bright and that was my last game until Hereford in January. I just hope that the team can stay together as the loanees are pivotal to our success.

Good post !

Scott was asked about the loanees staying by JT and think he mentioned something about other teams loan out players when they're looking to bring new players in themselves - a good point.

Just so long as the wheel don't fall off (touchwood), I think we've got a very good chance for at least a few of them too.

ATEOTD if you were a loanee where would you probably rather be ?
Playing and loving it at a club top of the league or stuck on the bench or frozen out the squad in the FL ?
Reply: 18 - 20
BIGChris
November 18, 2012, 5:38pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Quagmire
All depends on finances.

Probably the biggest single think any of us can do is go to games and take a mate or two.

If we can boost the gates between now and 1st Jan it will give the club a beter chance of reaching deals for the loanees to stay and potentialy see us over the line come the end of April
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
80sglory
November 18, 2012, 5:45pm
Guest User
Quoted from Quagmire
All depends on finances.

Pond and Marshall are 'nice to haves'

Obviously Neilson is very good indeed but look at everything he does on the pitch, I'm not sure he's in front of Pond at all.

But I guess the fact we already have 4 centre backs and need a winger more could be a decisive factor.
But even so wonder if Neilson (who is obviously good enough), is consistent enough.
Don't get me wrong though, I'd still sign him given half the chance.
Reply: 20 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Marcus Marshall

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.