This thread currently has 2,803 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
pseudonym
November 11, 2012, 5:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1
Can we have that played at Blundell Park every game  ?
If we play like we did after that
Logged Offline
Private Message
arryarryarry
November 11, 2012, 5:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,020
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from pseudonym

Me thinks there was a bit of a member up there, I am sure the announcer said the last post would be followed by a minutes silence, unfortunately the fans decided to applaud and the players turned round and left the centre circle whilst the ref just stood there and blew his whistle for the start of the minutes silence, he looked at his linesman and just shrugged his shoulders and decided to get on with it.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
BIGChris
November 11, 2012, 5:57pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from arryarryarry

Me thinks there was a bit of a member up there, I am sure the announcer said the last post would be followed by a minutes silence, unfortunately the fans decided to applaud and the players turned round and left the centre circle whilst the ref just stood there and blew his whistle for the start of the minutes silence, he looked at his linesman and just shrugged his shoulders and decided to get on with it.

Exactly how I saw it.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
Super Clive
November 11, 2012, 6:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Same.....the pa bloke sort of cocked up yesterday! I say sort of because the pa system really does need updating ffs. Most people couldn't even hear what the instructions was..total lack of respect for the fallen!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
The_Laughing_Mariner
November 11, 2012, 6:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,047
Gold Stars: 10
How can you say that, I thought he said last post then a minutes silence, but whatever, mistake or not, the minutes silence whilst the last post was played was impeccably observed and was an eerie and moving experience and showed utmost respect for the fallen.

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
cmackenzie4
November 11, 2012, 6:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
How can you say that, I thought he said last post then a minutes silence, but whatever, mistake or not, the minutes silence whilst the last post was played was impeccably observed and was an eerie and moving experience and showed utmost respect for the fallen.

Totally agree, I am always moved when i hear the last post, I am ex forces and know 2 lads who died in service, I too thought it was observed impeccably and respect to all.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
KK_DOG
November 11, 2012, 6:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
If the ref hadn't blown his whistle straight after the last post then the minutes silence would have continued. However it was good having the bugler and once the players had moved away and the noise started from the crowd, there was very little could be done to retrieve it. Thought it was still a fitting tribute.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
pseudonym
November 11, 2012, 6:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from KK_DOG
If the ref hadn't blown his whistle straight after the last post then the minutes silence would have continued. However it was good having the bugler and once the players had moved away and the noise started from the crowd, there was very little could be done to retrieve it. Thought it was still a fitting tribute.
Completely agree

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
flash1
November 11, 2012, 7:08pm
rather be a codhead than a scunt
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +21 / -9

totally agree

rather be a codhead than a scunt

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
Super Clive
November 11, 2012, 7:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Don't get me wrong the tune was moving as normal and the crowd responded and ialways brings a tear to my eyes. But from losing a very close relative in Iraq I would love to have had another minute silence as planned..
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
Marmite
November 11, 2012, 7:46pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Quoted from Super Clive
Don't get me wrong the tune was moving as normal and the crowd responded and ialways brings a tear to my eyes. But from losing a very close relative in Iraq I would love to have had another minute silence as planned..

In life mistakes happen and this was a minor error as the crowd took the ref blowing his whistle as a signal to start their applause. Good on the club I say for organising this in the first place and I was very touched, the bugler was excellent and the crowd did stay very silent. One point to note, how many clubs actually went to the effort like we did yesterday?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
boroughparker
November 11, 2012, 8:22pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +4
I have to say that the last post played at Blundell park on saturday was incredibly moving. The echo of the bugler's notes seem to reverberate around the stands. As a previous poster mentioned a tear was certainly brought to the eye. Thank you for such a poignant reminder at this time of the year.

I came into this world with nothing and I am delighted to say I have most of it left!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
ska face
November 11, 2012, 8:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,848
Gold Stars: 854
Quoted from pseudonym

Bloody hell Terry, after seeing the title of the thread I thought you were leaving the board!

I'll have to put that champers back in the fridge  
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
aaron rattray
November 11, 2012, 9:41pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
I actually know the person who played the last post and he told me that there should have been a minute silence and he blames the ref

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
aaron rattray
November 11, 2012, 9:42pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
I actually know the person who played the last post and he told me that there should have been a minute silence and he blames the ref

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
grimsby pete
November 11, 2012, 9:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,841
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from pseudonym

I can remember when a bloke in the crowd played the last post every game,

That was when we were crap in the 60's.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
arryarryarry
November 12, 2012, 3:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aaron rattray

You couldn't blame the ref, it was the applause of the fans at the end of the playing of the first post and the players turning around and running from the centre circle, after that it was pretty pointless.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
FishOutOfWater
November 12, 2012, 1:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,587
Gold Stars: 37
I don't think there's any need for blame for / from anyone

The Last Post was poignant in that everyone to a man paid it full respect and I know I was in a very reflective mood while it was being played

Maybe there should have been a further minutes silence but my thoughts while I heard this echoing around BP certainly moved my emotions

So as far as I'm concerned well done to everyone involved...from the decision to have it played in the first place, the bugler giving it his all, right through to the humility of everyone who observed it
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 28
80sglory
November 12, 2012, 3:29pm
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry
You couldn't blame the ref, it was the applause of the fans at the end of the playing of the first post and the players turning around and running from the centre circle, after that it was pretty pointless.

Well if the ref blew his whistle I'd say it was.
Most fans seem to associate the blowing of a whistle being the end.  
Reply: 18 - 28
gobby
November 12, 2012, 4:07pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
He blew the whistle to start the minutes silence, a minutes silence always starts with the refs whistle. Yes there was a misunderstanding but why blame anyone it was a poignant occasion and should be left at that.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
cmackenzie4
November 12, 2012, 4:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
I don't think there's any need for blame for / from anyone

The Last Post was poignant in that everyone to a man paid it full respect and I know I was in a very reflective mood while it was being played

Maybe there should have been a further minutes silence but my thoughts while I heard this echoing around BP certainly moved my emotions

So as far as I'm concerned well done to everyone involved...from the decision to have it played in the first place, the bugler giving it his all, right through to the humility of everyone who observed it

Well said FOOW.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
80sglory
November 12, 2012, 4:22pm
Guest User
Taking nothing away from the poignant occasion or the fallen heroes it's a bit late in the day for people to suddenly pipe up now.
Read this thread you'll see I'm not the only one who thought it was the refs fault.
Simply defending people because some people seem to be blaming the fans and the players.
Reply: 21 - 28
arryarryarry
November 12, 2012, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1600

Well if the ref blew his whistle I'd say it was.
Most fans seem to associate the blowing of a whistle being the end.  

You don't get to many games then, the Ref always blows his whistle at the start of the minutes silence and as he did the crowd started applauding the bugle player and the players turned and ran off whilst the ref was still there.

As I said before the ref never moved but just looked at his linesman and obviously thought he could do no more. It would have looked quite ridiculous if he had asked the players to come back.

We get some crap refs but to blame him for that is frigging stupid.

I'm not blaming the fans as a mistake but as a result of them applauding and the players running off. It was just unfortunate.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
Borbs
November 12, 2012, 8:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Normal convention for remembrance is playing of the last post 1 minutes silence followed by reveille.

Should have been tannoyed what is going to happen. Someone remind the ref no whistles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
ponnyfan
November 12, 2012, 10:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
A very moving tribute impeccably conducted despite the member up. The fallen were remembered and respected - i was proud to witness it.

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
arryarryarry
November 13, 2012, 2:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Borbs

Should have been tannoyed what is going to happen.

It was that is the whole debate as to what should have happend.

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
TAGG
November 13, 2012, 4:20am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from arryarryarry

Why do some people have to 'nit-pick' FFS.
Does it matter what PA said?
Last post played and full respect given by Town fans to our brave service men & women living and dead.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
Marmite
November 13, 2012, 7:44am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Quoted from TAGG

Why do some people have to 'nit-pick' FFS.
Does it matter what PA said?
Last post played and full respect given by Town fans to our brave service men & women living and dead.

Agreed and well said.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
lukeo
November 13, 2012, 8:06am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,419
Gold Stars: 149
At St James' the same happened with the post and the reading but then it was silient for one monute, no refs whistle. Then after that extra minute after the post the ref then blew his whistle to indicate the end of the silence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Last Post

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.