Memories

This thread currently has 2,458 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
South Lincs Mariner
November 4, 2012, 10:46pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Whoops bit of a memory glitch there on reflection come to think of it, possibly believe Ray Clemance was in goal for Scunthorpe then not sure about that chap Keegan?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
chaos33
November 4, 2012, 10:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,016
Gold Stars: 362
Not a big or special game but away at Sheffield utd, 1994 I think. was a quality day out, was a glorious day and loads of town fans pitched up on the hill next to the Howard pub, singing abuse at all the Yorkie passers by. Even managed to pull . lots of good memories of away days in the 90s, stoke, Bolton, wolves to name a few.

I would've commented on the Sheff Utd championship game too, but then you mentioned this day out. I was there too. What a great away day. Can't remember the result but suspect we might have won 2-1 with goals from Lund or Wilkinson and possibly Mike Lyons. Anyway - there were absolutely loads of Town fans. Drinking beer in the sunshine!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
grimsby pete
November 5, 2012, 10:09am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,841
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from gary_elton
Dunno what season... but League cup run... saw us beat Bolton 4 - 0 , Preston 4 - 2 ,

We drew 2 - 2 with the mighty West Ham ( Moore , Hurst , Peters... et al )
if only Dougie Collins hadnt blasted that one over the bar...   sigh....

That was 1965 Gary , just before the West Ham lads won the world cup for England !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 5, 2012, 12:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,784
Gold Stars: 82
Most of the hgames mentioned I recall, but in addition in 71/72 home to Lincoln 2-0 down and came back to draw 2-2, we were in group from Rasen and we had lad arrested, Alfie Kinght who got 3 years, same season think we played Peterborogh at home and were 2-0 down and won 3-2. Then game at Doncaster, thousands of twon fans for night game bricks coming at us all night, Brace put us 1 up then we lost 2-1 but the following weeks saw the never to be forgotten Exeter match.

In 79/80 the draw away to Wolves whih would have seen us into the semi final and tie with Swindon, think we hit the bar four times and I got a good kicking in that damn subway outside the ground. In the league the day we won promotion at mansfield, fans police horses on the pitch at the end chaos and more brick throwing and then of course Sheff Utd in last game.

Funny that nobody mentions Wembley in this list, but to go there that first time in the Auto Windscreen with nearly 30000 town fans has hairs on my neck bristling now.

Some precarious times watching town in early & late seventies with violence and attcks on "normal fans" far more prevalent but they were exciting and god we had some good teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
FishOutOfWater
November 5, 2012, 1:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,587
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Most of the hgames mentioned I recall, but in addition in 71/72 home to Lincoln 2-0 down and came back to draw 2-2, we were in group from Rasen and we had lad arrested, Alfie Kinght who got 3 years, same season think we played Peterborogh at home and were 2-0 down and won 3-2. Then game at Doncaster, thousands of twon fans for night game bricks coming at us all night, Brace put us 1 up then we lost 2-1 but the following weeks saw the never to be forgotten Exeter match.

In 79/80 the draw away to Wolves whih would have seen us into the semi final and tie with Swindon, think we hit the bar four times and I got a good kicking in that damn subway outside the ground. In the league the day we won promotion at mansfield, fans police horses on the pitch at the end chaos and more brick throwing and then of course Sheff Utd in last game.

Funny that nobody mentions Wembley in this list, but to go there that first time in the Auto Windscreen with nearly 30000 town fans has hairs on my neck bristling now.

Some precarious times watching town in early & late seventies with violence and attcks on "normal fans" far more prevalent but they were exciting and god we had some good teams.

Yeah so did I...I've always hated Wolves since!

I think I got knocked out as all of a sudden there was just me on the ground with no-one else about other than a mob going over the flyover shouting out I was lucky to get away with my life

To add insult to injury I got frisked by the cops on the gate and when I told them about their mob they just pooh-poohed it and told me to get myself in to the ground.

I think I must have been concussed or something because for a lot of the match all I could see were multiple flood lights although when we scored (Gary Liddle assist / o.g. I think) that made all the earlier hurt go away

If only we could have got past them I think our first trip to Wembley would have been a lot sooner coming
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 28
lawless29
November 5, 2012, 1:55pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +11
Quoted from aaron rattray
Ive got the radio humberside tape of that, interviews with players family etc

upload it to youtube

https://www.facebook.com/GrimsbyCleethorpesHistory
[url=http://postimage.org/][img]http://s7.postimage.org/6lz8j8h4r/403320_362485870431139_1145829449_n.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/]photo upload[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
aaron rattray
November 5, 2012, 2:11pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
Quoted from lawless29

upload it to youtube

Its a cassette for a radio, cost £1.99 from radio humberside my dad bought it years and years ago

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
wigworld
November 5, 2012, 2:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

It's before my time, but just about everyone I speak to has had a good kicking in that subway!

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 28
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 5, 2012, 4:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,784
Gold Stars: 82
That subway was hell. Cops stood at end but never came in sort anybody or anything out. Just left away fans to the mercy of the home nutters and wolves had plenty.a funny thing that game is when we went in as said earlier we were searched and there were four in our car and three of us went through and waited and waited. Finally our driver the famous grimsby fisherman, Rod Hutchinson, came staggering round the corner worse f or wear. When we asked what had happened he cursed us for leaving him as the police searching him found half a bottle of whisky which they were going to confiscate. But Rod insisted on drinking the contents first!! Never seen a bloke change so much in ten minutes. Plus he was driving that night but we made sure he was relieved of that role after we emerged from the subway!! Then it was on to Derby for second replay and more trouble first with Derby boys and then wolves again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Memories

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.