Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Top 3 comedy series.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 106 Guests

Top 3 comedy series.

This thread currently has 4,215 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
November 3, 2012, 9:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,841
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Forgot Rising Damp with "Rigsby".  A great character actor.  Same his son died so young.  A talented actor himself.

I think my choices just above,  and other ones here will stand the test of time.

Steptoe is dated now because live has moved on.  On the Buses is too sexist to be funny these days.   Love Thy Neighbour was funny in its time. Now racism is not funny.  Times and humour changes.

Alf Garnett was a little racist in Death do us part, very funny at the time, but not now.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 51
kamakazebear
November 3, 2012, 9:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +483
Quoted from somersetmariner
Black books for me is genius.
The thick of it too
Seinfeld and curb your enthusiasm I could watch all day......

Curb's definitely up there somewhere! Larry's the type of guy we can all relate to
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 51
jock dock tower
November 3, 2012, 10:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Anything with Spike Milligan in it.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 51
kingofthekippers
November 3, 2012, 10:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
Quoted from jock dock tower
Anything with Spike Milligan in it.

Yes, a good choice. A much misunderstood genius in my opinion. Also, he had a great supporting cast.

Also in my opinion.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbdpfqMLasE[/url]

Either you like it or you don't:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEZ-NvSKJLI[/url]

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 51
bradzmilne
November 3, 2012, 10:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
Not an all time great but has anyone been watching bbc3's new series 'cuckoo' has had me in stiches at times

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 51
kingofthekippers
November 3, 2012, 10:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
Quoted from grimsby pete

Alf Garnett was a little racist in Death do us part, very funny at the time, but not now.

Garnett was created as a figure of contempt by Johnny Speight but it backfired as the public identified with the character. I suspect if you got a series like this on TV today it would be no different. Unwittingly Speight hit a vein and deep down society hasn't moved that far on in the last five decades; the setting would be different but the same fears remain.

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 51
CairnsMariner
November 4, 2012, 12:04am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +21
I think the UK is once again producing some outstanding comedy. I don't get to see much of what the digital channels/channel 4 produce straight away, but when something new filters down to here it is usually a highlight of our [limited] tv watching week. We have loved Miranda, The Inbetweeners, Beautiful People, Green Wing, Fifteen Storeys High ("Blue Rat" is one of the funniest comedy episodes I have ever seen), Royle Family, Phoenix Nights.....there are just so many outstanding English comedies (one of the few areas were I believe England still excels).

It is interesting that so many people refer back to 70s comedy. Fawlty Towers, Dad's Army, Porridge et al are all quality entertainment and deserve their places in anyone's comedy history, but after 40 years of watching them I would much prefer to watch something more contemporary.

That said, I think the greatest TV comedy of all time is The Young Ones. I doubt that many TV comedies had previously, or did again, capture the mood of a generation quite so well. The themes, the music, the fears, the student accomodation, the language, the fact that parents didn't get it or like it or approve of it. After years of good family fun (Richard Bryers, Penelope Keith etc), The Young Ones had kids talking at school and offered quotes and ideas that are still funny/up-to-date today. That the pampered youth of today get it even less than parents at the time did, makes me love The Young Ones even more. It was, to me anyway, the comedy of my generation and I will always love it for that. In my opinion, it completely changed the direction of TV comedy and much/most of what is fantastic about modern comedy would not have been written had it not have been for Rik Mayall, Lise Mayer & Ben Elton.

So, for what it is worth, my top 3 would be:
1. The Young Ones
2. The Office
3. Royle Family (just pipping Blackadder)

with an honourable mention to Up Pompeii!

There's a crooked street in Grimsby Town
It's a well worn path I've travelled down
Now there's ruin in my name, I wish i'd never got off the train
And I wish I'd listened to the words you said....
...Don't go down to Freeman Street
Don't go down to Freeman Street
You'll be lost and never found
You can never turn around
Don't go down to Freeman Street

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 51
aldi_01
November 4, 2012, 12:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Too many to mention really,

The office, Alan partridge, royale family, fast show, father ted, the inbetweeners

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 51
Manchester Mariner
November 4, 2012, 11:50am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,824
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from CairnsMariner
Fifteen Storeys High ("Blue Rat" is one of the funniest comedy episodes I have ever seen)

Fifteen storeys high is brilliant. I must have completely ignored it when it was shown on the BBC as I wasnt aware of it until a friend reccomended it to me recently.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 51
AdamHaddock
November 4, 2012, 12:01pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,842
Gold Stars: 26
1, Blackadder (3+4)
2, One Foot In The Grave
3, Little Britain

Honourable mentions for Only Fools, Catherine Tate, My Family, Mrs Brown's Boys, Men Behaving Badly, Vicar Of Dibley, Armstrong and Miller, Alistair McGowan's Big Impression and Big Bang Theory.

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Top 3 comedy series.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.