No Members and 98 Guests

Players U Like to Like

This thread currently has 1,885 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
80sglory
October 31, 2012, 11:34pm
Guest User
Just for a bit of fun...

Are there any players who hold a special place in your heart ? Or that you have an affinity for ?

Not intended to be a "Player Of The Year" type vote or be only about football (but obviously vote how U Like).

So many to mention and choose from but I'm going Shaun Pearson for his professionalism.
Plus cos the only time he spoke to me (remarkably I was awestruck and lost for words !), he seemed like a good & likeable bloke.  

All the usual suspects are there but (with only 7 poll options) please mention any other players you have a certain "soft spot" for.
Gary Haddock
October 31, 2012, 11:38pm

Neither above nor beneath
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +44 / -5
Approval: +6
Mckaown for me, he has been a top keeper for us and I think he'll prove to be one of our best keepers, has to be the best keeper since I've started following town 5 years ago. Though Thomas too is one my favourate players. He has to be the best left back in the last 5 years too.

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/zya4af.jpg[/IMG]

GTFC's black and white army.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/GTFCs-black-and-white-army/494332320600710?ref=hl
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
80sglory
October 31, 2012, 11:47pm
Guest User
Quoted from Gary Haddock
Though Thomas too is one my favourate players. He has to be the best left back in the last 5 years too.

Agree !
Actually it's funny you mention him first Gary cos nearly put him in myself but obviously had some very tough choices with only 7 poll options.
Bah these damn fishy polls...  
Reply: 2 - 20
Gary Haddock
October 31, 2012, 11:52pm

Neither above nor beneath
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +44 / -5
Approval: +6
Quoted from 1600

Agree !
Actually it's funny you mention him first Gary cos nearly put him in myself but obviously had some very tough choices with only 7 poll options.
Bah these damn fishy polls...  

Should of put him in instead of Elding. Although I like Elding, I can't see him being anyones favourate with the likes of Thomas and Mckaown and Nielson etc etc. Like you said tough choices. I like some of these fishy polls, they can be rather interesting.

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/zya4af.jpg[/IMG]

GTFC's black and white army.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/GTFCs-black-and-white-army/494332320600710?ref=hl
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
80sglory
November 1, 2012, 12:34am
Guest User
Certainly see your point Gary and perhaps you're right but tbf he's always had a lot of support before.

tbh I forgot about the "transfer list" thingy but whilst I'm not any big fan of him as a player, I DO agree with what Scott said:

"Fans are entitled to their opinions but I don't think anyone can question his attitude towards this football club."

That's at least on the pitch in my OWN opinion and part the reason I put him in.
Like you say tough choices, gimme a break here !  

Quoted from Gary Haddock

I like some of these YOUR fishy polls, they can be rather interesting.

Corrected for you  
Reply: 4 - 20
80sglory
November 1, 2012, 1:04am
Guest User
One other last point if I may Gary.
You say "favourite" but look at the actual poll question, I'm wondering if you're got the wrong end of the stick or thinking solely in terms of ability on the pitch ? (which if true is fine if you want I suppose)

Put it this way, given a straight choice guess the majority would rather LIKE to have Thomas in the team over Elding. (at the very least right now).

But Elding is arguably more of a "talisman" figure with arguably more "endearing" individual characteristics (depending on your view of course and do hope I haven't misjudged the general feeling !) than someone like Thomas who, whilst I have the greatest of respect for, is probably one of the more "quieter" players who doesn't stand out (but not in terms of form if you know what I mean).

Anyway, regardless of anyone's personal view do you see where I'm coming from ?...

tbh I was hoping to witness titbits of humour and gestures of goodwill, not a huge flippin' debate or defence of the poll options...
Reply: 5 - 20
Fishfinger
November 1, 2012, 7:34am

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +46 / -6
Approval: +144
I voted Bradley Wood purely because of his passion and determination he shows every game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
aaron rattray
November 1, 2012, 7:38am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
Bradley wood frankie artus andy cook and derek niven, i always seem to see them out and about and they are all friendly and stop to talk to me especially brad wood  

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
barralad
November 1, 2012, 7:57am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from aaron rattray
Bradley wood frankie artus andy cook and derek niven, i always seem to see them out and about and they are all friendly and stop to talk to me especially brad wood  

Did they give you a penny for your guy?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
aldi_01
November 1, 2012, 8:39am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Thomas is a cracking player and is probably the best left back outside the league, probably better than most in league 2 as well.

Liam Hearn is a great bloke, always polite and actually seems happy at what he is and has achieved...lets face it, who wouldn't enjoy being hero worshipped. I like Pearson too, just a shame he's a flipping manure fan.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
mariner91
November 1, 2012, 9:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,744
Gold Stars: 262
Hearn cause he's awesome. And Pearson cause he's such an ugly barsteward I warm to him, us ugly folk stick together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
psgmariner
November 1, 2012, 11:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
I must admit I didn't like Pearson one bit when he arrived. He had a tendency to always turn round and mouth off at other defenders or McKeown after every goal we conceeded. Even when it was clearly his fault.

He is growing on me though and like otehrs have alluded to it seesms he is passionate, committed and determined to make the most of his chance to make a living from football. Also coaching GTFC kids teams etc.

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
Rick12
November 1, 2012, 11:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Fishfinger
I voted Bradley Wood purely because of his passion and determination he shows every game
my view as well

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
grimsby pete
November 1, 2012, 1:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
I voted for Bradley,

He reminds me of a young Bobby Cumming.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
Rick12
November 1, 2012, 10:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
I voted for Bradley,

He reminds me of a young Bobby Cumming.
good to know Pete  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
petethemariner
November 1, 2012, 11:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Shaun Pearson for me, spent large parts of last season out in the cold, because ,in his first  season he clearly struggled with the full time game, but  never whined or whinged (unlike  some who we could name) just put his head down and worked on his game, now a leader and an organiser,(he must be doing well to keep a quality player like Miller out of the team) IMO he is now capable of playing  league football and continues to improve at a rate of Knots - his only achilles heel at the moment is his habit of being involved in things he shouldn't and  obtaining yellow cards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
80sglory
November 2, 2012, 2:27am
Guest User
Good points Pete and hasn't it been said he's worked hard from some unlikeable jobs to get where he is too ?

Well folks here's MY rundown of the "usual suspects" and some of the reasons why I'd consider them to be "loveable" all in their own way.

McKeown - Great keeper who has pulled off some magnificent saves to help us win vital games.
Wood - Hard work and committment on the pitch enough said !
Pearson -  enough already said too I guess.
Elding - say what we like but leads by example on the pitch with hard work and motivation.
Rarely mentioned how positive attitudes can brush off onto other players + surely no co-incidence has made a big impact when coming off the bench before.
Hearn - not only a hero on the pitch but really likeable bloke who has related to fans with heart warming gestures.
Neilson - already raised a big smile and got Town fans very excited with his flair and willingness to make things happen.

Others player not yet mentioned (won't do everyone !) who also might deserve the "loveable" label  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Miller - Seems very professional and reliable - if not loveable then certainly very likeable !
Niven - does a lot of the boring unseen donkey work but also willing to get forward, shoot  + give 100%.
Thomas - already mentioned but should also be said (if not already) works extremely hard to tackle and get up and down.
Thanoj - starting to play those simple looking but very clever passes into the right areas that often go unsung.
Colbeck - works hard and never seems to shirk any responsibility in defensive duty or trying to make things happen going forward.
Disley - deserves respect not just for his hardwork and team play, but regularly playing (as captain) almost every single game.
Artus - on his day a real entertainer and joy to watch.
Southwell and Hatton - like Thanoj both seem to appreciate the value their technique, vision or skillful play can sometimes have.

Lots to like for those not mentioned too but struggling to "fall in love" over anything based on the limited gametime I've seen so far.

PS Obviously disagree with my points if you like but please don't start moaning "Player X is rubbish !" as your basis cos I'm focusing on their good points and the choice cuts. I thankyou !  
Reply: 16 - 20
springstomind
November 2, 2012, 4:05am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +322
A very clever and interesting post...

Neilson for me is very exiting to watch ... direct and regardless of the ban.. has a lot to offer and is a very good player for this league.

Pearson is still in my opinion the best centre back in the league and we'll miss him whilst he's banned. . .  lethal in the air and an amazing defender.... Ryan Bennet who?????

Macca has pushed my intestines back up my bottom a good 15 times this season.. and has without a doubt earnt us a good 8 points this season with his amazing saves.. people say goals change games ... so do saves... if we promote.. or even make play offs.. within 10 points or less, i'll be online referrring and prividing links to Maccas points and game wining saves.

Wood is withoout a doubt the most commited player in our team... working away with the army i generally get to go to away games and some homes and even Southport away Wood gave a free kick which led to their equiliser.. but was without a doubt our best player.

Elding blows hot and cold... if my wife phones me saying "you were 2 down but Elding scored 2 to even it up..... i actually believed her earlier this season .................. and i have a soft spot for him... but i generally find myself WANTING him to do well .. apposed to expecting him to....

Hearn should not be on this vote.... the blokes a flipping NINJA in front of goal... his record with and long before grimsby proves he's a prolific goalscorer and whilst injured should not be involved.

Even Artus is lovable with his amazing skill goal with the 20 turns in the 6 yard box and winning goal last season and his first touch screamer vs mansfield this season..... leaves you wondering what else he has to offer....

In conclusion i cannot provide a corrent answer however.......i
can give you MY top loveable team(taking everything into account)

Macca
Wood
Pearson
Pond
Thomas
Colbeck
Niven
Disley
Neilson

Hannah
Elding

Subs... Artus, Thanoj, Miller, Hatton, Cook
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
Rick12
November 2, 2012, 10:13am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1600

Well folks here's MY rundown of the "usual suspects" and some of the reasons why I'd consider them to be "loveable" all in their own way.

thanks     interesting insight as to the players we have at the club for those of us who cant make it as much we like

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
80sglory
November 2, 2012, 3:48pm
Guest User
Well thanks but don't take it as gospel - only my opinion !

2 players not yet mentioned (forgot about them !) are Pond and Hannah.
Sure there's reasons for them to be loved too but won't continue my top 20 rundown.
Reply: 19 - 20
80sglory
November 2, 2012, 4:32pm
Guest User
Suprised Neilson is so low tbh.

Guess it must be the red card but sure he's the 1 player everyone licks their lips at the prospect of seeing play.

There's nothing better than to see a great piece of skill come off and since Connell (see Hearn more of a lethal weapon), can't think of another player who has excited the crowd so much with his skills.

A bit similar to Makofo but with bags more ability and end product !
Reply: 20 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Players U Like to Like

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.