This thread currently has 2,364 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
October 28, 2012, 9:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
For a number of devotees of non league football in general, and Scotttish non league in particular, here's the highlights of yesterday's game at Auchinleck vs Clydebank (the same Clydebank who used to play in the SFL) Crowds behind the goal are unusual in Scotland - especially in winter with no protection - but the Bankies always bring a healthy support to Beechwood and there was about 650 there yesterday, including 250 plus from Clydebank.

Cracking game....              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsj1jq4xQJY

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
October 28, 2012, 10:24am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,841
Gold Stars: 222
Good film work as well John, was it you ?

I am just off to see my granddaughters partner play iin the sunday league,

Hope its as good as last weeks game.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
barralad
October 28, 2012, 10:53am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Players who look up when they are about to cross the ball to actually aim for one of their teammates? It will never catch on!! The second goal was excellent. The first player sent off should be charged with attempted murder!
Is the guy who does the filming available for hire? It would be a vast improvement on our current highlights package....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
grimsby pete
October 28, 2012, 12:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,841
Gold Stars: 222
If it was you John,

Why did you not push them two grey haired old gits out of the way.

Just got back from my match, did not stay to the end,

Too fooking cold and wet.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
jock dock tower
October 28, 2012, 4:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
The action was filmed by a guy from Clydebank, who posts every game's highlights on the Pie and Bovril site Juniors section. Second goal was a cracker Ian, even I might have scored from such a precise cross! Next Saturday it's Cumnock vs Talbot in the Junior Old Firm derby. With us top of the league, 5 points clear, there'll probably be approaching 1,000 for this game, with about 70% of the crowd travelling from Auchinleck. Tow years back this game received national press coverage after the police horses were brought onto the pitch for the first time in 31 years in Scotland. Hopefully Saturday will be a more sedate affair!

Pete, you should have taken a knotted hankie with you to keep the rain off!

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
bradzmilne
October 28, 2012, 5:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from jock dock tower
The action was filmed by a guy from Clydebank, who posts every game's highlights on the Pie and Bovril site Juniors section. Second goal was a cracker Ian, even I might have scored from such a precise cross! Next Saturday it's Cumnock vs Talbot in the Junior Old Firm derby. With us top of the league, 5 points clear, there'll probably be approaching 1,000 for this game, with about 70% of the crowd travelling from Auchinleck. Tow years back this game received national press coverage after the police horses were brought onto the pitch for the first time in 31 years in Scotland. Hopefully Saturday will be a more sedate affair!

Pete, you should have taken a knotted hankie with you to keep the rain off!

I have no knowledge about this league so might seem a stupid question but why are the teams refered to as juniors?

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
jock dock tower
October 28, 2012, 7:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
It's because they're not affiliated to the Scottish Football Association, the seniors. Juniors are usually a combination of unpaid amateurs (in probably the majority of teams) seasoned pros who've been offloaded by senior clubs, and those who didn't quite make it, possibly on the books of senior clubs as schoolboys etc.

Auchinleck Talbot are the single most successful Junior club in Scottish Junior Football, and can so attract decent players who tend to stay with us for the majority of their career if they're a success at Beechwood. We currently have 4 players who signed with us in 2004 ( we lost two more of that era at the end of last season) The reason they stayed is because the club enjoys such a status within the game, a great support - who all the players mix freely with, socially and on matchday, and the fact that we win trophies. We've won the Scottish Junior Cup a record 9 times - it's the equivalent of a mixture of the Trophy and Vase in Scotland - and 3 of those wins came in 2006, 2009, 2011, and we were finalists last season. Most clubs have never got a sniff of winning the cup, so for a player to do so 3 times is a real achievement. However, Auchinleck also won the Cup in 1986, 87,88, 91 and 92, and 6 of that team won medals in all 5 finals.

I've sung the Juniors' praises here on many occasion, and it's a great product.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
bradzmilne
October 29, 2012, 9:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from jock dock tower
It's because they're not affiliated to the Scottish Football Association, the seniors. Juniors are usually a combination of unpaid amateurs (in probably the majority of teams) seasoned pros who've been offloaded by senior clubs, and those who didn't quite make it, possibly on the books of senior clubs as schoolboys etc.

Auchinleck Talbot are the single most successful Junior club in Scottish Junior Football, and can so attract decent players who tend to stay with us for the majority of their career if they're a success at Beechwood. We currently have 4 players who signed with us in 2004 ( we lost two more of that era at the end of last season) The reason they stayed is because the club enjoys such a status within the game, a great support - who all the players mix freely with, socially and on matchday, and the fact that we win trophies. We've won the Scottish Junior Cup a record 9 times - it's the equivalent of a mixture of the Trophy and Vase in Scotland - and 3 of those wins came in 2006, 2009, 2011, and we were finalists last season. Most clubs have never got a sniff of winning the cup, so for a player to do so 3 times is a real achievement. However, Auchinleck also won the Cup in 1986, 87,88, 91 and 92, and 6 of that team won medals in all 5 finals.

I've sung the Juniors' praises here on many occasion, and it's a great product.

Sounds an interesting concept, do the teams get entered into the major scottish tournements or because there not affliated with fa arnt they aloud?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
jock dock tower
October 29, 2012, 4:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Since season 2007-08 the winners of the 3 Regional Super Leagues, North, East and West have gained automatic entry to the senior Scottish Cup, as have the winners of the Junior Cup.

We've made two forays into the Senior Cup, in 2009-10 and 2011-12.

In our first year we beat Fort William 7-0 in the first round in front of a near 4 figure crowd; in round 2 we drew away to Huntly 1-1 before beating them 4-3 at home front of a 1200 crowd; in round 3 we were unlucky to lose 2-1 at Stirling Albion in front of 1200, of which about 800 were from Auchinleck.

Last season we won 2-1 away at Lossiemouth in front of 695 fans. Their average gate is 85, and we had a travelling support of just over 400, including 2 buses up overnight for a night out in Elgin. The weekend cost £90, and the fans who went knew they were contributing roughly £20 of that to cover the team's travel expenses for the weekend. I travelled up and down on the player's coach for the first time and had a great weekend. Round 2 saw us at home to Southern Counties champions Threave Rovers and we tanked them 8-1, including one from our keeper (it was shown on Sky Sports all Saturday night, you may have seen it?) Next round we played Vale of Leithen at home and won 3-1 to set up a tie at Hearts in the 4th round. We took 3,000 fans to Tynecastle, and it was the highest crowd in the 4th round by a country mile, even though it was just under 9,000. We lost 1-0, and had a goal wrongly disallowed for offside in the 94th minute that would have got us a deserved replay. The sight of all the Hearts fans standing up and applauding our players off the pitch rather than just rushing out will stay with me for a long time, as did the Hearts players playing for time at a corner with about 5 minutes to go - against a non league side!

Coupled with that great run, we also got through to the Final of the Junior Cup again, but lost 2-1 to Shotts. One hell of a season. It's bound to be only a matter of time before the SFA open up the early rounds of the Scottish Cup to more Junior clubs rather than just the cup winners and super league champions, as the Juniors attract far bigger crowds than any of the Highland League clubs and others, plus most of the Division 3 clubs as well. The excellent Pie and Bovril site has it's own Junior section which is well worth a look, and most of the top Juniors have their own forums as well. The goalie's goal against Threave Rovers is on the link below, followed by the Pie and Bovril site (you'll need to look for the Junior section) and lastly the Auchinleck Talbot Forum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxBI_GJeOg8

http://www.pieandbovril.com/

http://auchinlecktalbotfc.proboards.com/

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
bradzmilne
October 29, 2012, 4:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
I remember that goal! Haha
Would you compare the standard to BSP?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Highlights of Auchinleck vs Clydebank

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.