grimsby pete
October 1, 2012, 9:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,841
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from psgmariner

Before my time as well but really looking forward to it after missing the Buckley evening.

The only bad thing about his reign was,

It did not last long enough,

1ST year we got  promoted then mid table in 2nd year then gone to Southamton.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
gymadman
October 2, 2012, 11:49am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +4 / 0
He did a great job but also inherited the basis of the team  from Bobby Kennedy, big Mac was a born motivator though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
STB
October 2, 2012, 1:48pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +66 / -22
I didn't think Big Mac's were allowed in BP  

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
arryarryarry
October 2, 2012, 4:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,020
Gold Stars: 117
I hope whoever stands up and does the intro leaves a sticky note of his name in front of Lawrie, it was a bit embarrassing at the AB do when some bloke gave this great introduction of AB and AB stood up and said, thanks for that er, I don't know your name.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
Mariners Trust
October 7, 2012, 8:45pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +87
Approx. half the tickets sold and still a fair time until they go on general sale. If any members wish to attend they need to move quickly to ensure their tickets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
newfootballer
October 8, 2012, 9:45pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Quoted from grimsby pete

The only bad thing about his reign was,

It did not last long enough,

1ST year we got  promoted then mid table in 2nd year then gone to Southamton.

Thats what happens when you get a good Manager they do not stay at a club very long. The big fella was in demand for how he turned Grimsby round in just two years, not just the team but also the supporters every fan trusted Laurie Mac,

I will give you a story which is true. Town were playing Norwich in a cup game which was being played on a Tuesday, we finished training early as usuel and I caught a bus to get to Riby square my partner worked at Ross house so I went into the Albion Pub phone box which was not actually in the pub it was outside the pub to inform her that I had manged to get some tickets for her gaffers who were Norwich supporters finished the phone call and got a bus down to Clee Crescent which was where my digs were to rest before the night game.

Arrived at Blundell Park was met by Jim Clunie who pointed me to the gaffers office me asking why but Jim just said the boss wants to see you straightaway.
Knocked on the door a voice shouted come in wee man and sit down quick.

There was Laurie in not a good mood looking at me with a face like thunder, his opening words were,   you was in a pub at dinner time was you not and Of course I denied it he then said I will give another chance and If I do not get the right answer you will never play for Grimsby again.

I then thought back to the phone call I made in the Albion outside phone box, Laurie accepted my reply and then told me that he had had four phone calls to say that I had been drinking in the pub which was untrue, but it just goes to show what the fans were like they knew they could ring the club up about any player get through to Laurie and he would sort it out. That night I think we drew but got beat at Norwich.

It should be a great night on November 16th and we have got a lot of the ex players back Dave Worthington is coming hopefully from Barcelona where he lives and with a bit of luck bringing with him a signed Massi shirt  to auction off all for the youth devolpment.
NEWFOOTBALLER
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
Alfie
October 9, 2012, 12:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Quoted from newfootballer

[/b]

Thats what happens when you get a good Manager they do not stay at a club very long. The big fella was in demand for how he turned Grimsby round in just two years, not just the team but also the supporters every fan trusted Laurie Mac,

I will give you a story which is true. Town were playing Norwich in a cup game which was being played on a Tuesday, we finished training early as usuel and I caught a bus to get to Riby square my partner worked at Ross house so I went into the Albion Pub phone box which was not actually in the pub it was outside the pub to inform her that I had manged to get some tickets for her gaffers who were Norwich supporters finished the phone call and got a bus down to Clee Crescent which was where my digs were to rest before the night game.

Arrived at Blundell Park was met by Jim Clunie who pointed me to the gaffers office me asking why but Jim just said the boss wants to see you straightaway.
Knocked on the door a voice shouted come in wee man and sit down quick.

There was Laurie in not a good mood looking at me with a face like thunder, his opening words were,   you was in a pub at dinner time was you not and Of course I denied it he then said I will give another chance and If I do not get the right answer you will never play for Grimsby again.

I then thought back to the phone call I made in the Albion outside phone box, Laurie accepted my reply and then told me that he had had four phone calls to say that I had been drinking in the pub which was untrue, but it just goes to show what the fans were like they knew they could ring the club up about any player get through to Laurie and he would sort it out. That night I think we drew but got beat at Norwich.

It should be a great night on November 16th and we have got a lot of the ex players back Dave Worthington is coming hopefully from Barcelona where he lives and with a bit of luck bringing with him a signed Massi shirt  to auction off all for the youth devolpment.
NEWFOOTBALLER

That has just further added to my already very high regard for Dave Worthington. An absolute top bloke and if that doesn't raise proper dollar then the people of Grimsby need a word with themselves.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
Mariners Trust
November 1, 2012, 3:46pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +87
There are still a few tickets left so if you fancy a decent night out on 16th November please snap up the remaining tickets.

Lawrie Mac, Comedian, pie and peas supper and an evening of football for £25 (non members) £20 members.

http://www.marinerstrust.co.uk/index.php/shop/category/14-mariners-trust-events

Or tickets available from the club or contact any Mariners Trust board member
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
psgmariner
November 1, 2012, 7:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.68
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Mariners Trust
There are still a few tickets left so if you fancy a decent night out on 16th November please snap up the remaining tickets.

Lawrie Mac, Comedian, pie and peas supper and an evening of football for £25 (non members) £20 members.

http://www.marinerstrust.co.uk/index.php/shop/category/14-mariners-trust-events

Or tickets available from the club or contact any Mariners Trust board member

Really looking forward to this. Missed the Buckley one

Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › An Evening with Lawrie McMenemy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.