2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
August 26, 2012, 1:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,004
Gold Stars: 362
I've been thinking about our formation and method of play, based on the first 4 games. Also, thinking that Miller is returning soon. On that basis, I'd like to see the players getting closer to each other, playing to their strengths and not having to resort to channel-ball, percentages football that seems to characterise our 4-4-2.
We also need to find a way to get the best out of players and their strengths - Soares, Pond, Thomas particularly, and improve areas where we look substandard - right-back in Hatton and Wood, Artus playing wide-left, the middle of midfield etc.

3-5-2 could be much better. McKeown in goal and Miller and Pearson as left and right centre-backs. Pond just in front of them as a third CB/holding midfield player. Colbeck and Thomas as the two wing backs in the midfield 5, with Thanoj and Disley/Niven as the two centre midfielders, making 4. Soares plays just behind the front two - take your pick from Pearson, Cook, Elding and Southwell. If this works out, it should look like this:

McKeown

Pearson         Miller

Pond
Colbeck                                                          Thomas
                     Thanoj                  Disley
                                     Soares

Elding                  Pearson    

Thoughts?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
lew1983
August 26, 2012, 1:14pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
think we'd get murdered down the left mate to be honest
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
chaos33
August 26, 2012, 1:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Why? Please elaborate

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
lew1983
August 26, 2012, 1:17pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
no right back cover. dont think colbeck is up to much defensively
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
hook line and sinker
August 26, 2012, 1:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
Away from home against a good side lutons,wrexhams etc i dont think it would be a good idea.Leaving yourself vulnerable to be caught on the counter attack.At home it could be effective against the whole host of teams who sit back. But in one sense we struggle to break teams down so having the majority of players in an attacking role could overcrowd the pitch and be counter productive. Sometimes i think  it is best to play teams at the own game and us sit back,especially at home even though it wouldnt be a great spectacle to watch.

After 4 games its really worrying when you look at our side and think theres only macca,s pearson,miller and pond in that side you lined up that i would be confident that they are going to turn up and put a shift in.To many uncertainties in our squad.What ever formation we play we are going to have square pegs in round holes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
aaron rattray
August 26, 2012, 1:20pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
I would but disley or niven where colbeck is then put colbeck in disley or niven place

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
jonnyboy82
August 26, 2012, 1:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from chaos33
Why? Please elaborate

Because colbeck is not a wing  back and Thomas is just getting used to playing for us a left back.

No width on either side just asking players to play in unfamiliar positions as wingbacks would mean us getting owned down the flanks although I do like the idea of pond in midfield.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
davmariner
August 26, 2012, 1:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Agree about the 3-5-2 but I've been saying this for weeks. I think the 3-5-2 that Buckley played MIII would suit our game.

I'd line up like this;

McKeown

Pearson    Pond    Miller

Wood                                     Thomas

Soares    Niven    Thanoj

Elding  Southwell

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
Hagrid
August 26, 2012, 1:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,532
Gold Stars: 544
Although I think it'd be an idea to elaborate on, the managers will not do it, they play the way they believe and won't change it unfortunately :/ and to add, they will never start southwell, however wrong it may be
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
chaos33
August 26, 2012, 1:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Those people who think we'd get killed down the flanks need to note that you've got cover when attacked out wide because you've got three centre backs. Both Colbeck and Thomas are quick and get 'up and down'. Your 3 centre midfielders are encouraged to interchange. At least 5 behind the ball when defending and a similar number going forward. Not perfect for every game, but a much better proposition IMO.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 03/05/2002

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.