Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › On A Positive Note....
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 104 Guests

On A Positive Note....

This thread currently has 2,688 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
tintowner
August 25, 2012, 8:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
.............we do have the second best defensive record in the league ( got to clutch at something )

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
jonnyboy82
August 25, 2012, 8:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from tintowner
.............we do have the second best defensive record in the league ( got to clutch at something )

Never doubted us.  

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
August 25, 2012, 8:30pm
Guest User
And we have still being picking up points after 6 games last season we only had 4 points so things are ok.... granted we are playing poor but one win can kick start our season !

Come on get behind them and not get at them !
Reply: 2 - 24
moosey_club
August 25, 2012, 8:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,325
Gold Stars: 229
Being hard to beat is essential to success, we have that and have shown that quality in the four games to date, (Stockport were fortunate lets not pretend they hammered us).

With four new attacking players, a first year pro and our biggest threat sidelined then the attacking side of our game is obviously going to need time to settle.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
August 25, 2012, 8:33pm
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club
Being hard to beat is essential to success, we have that and have shown that quality in the four games to date, (Stockport were fortunate lets not pretend they hammered us).

With four new attacking players, a first year pro and our biggest threat sidelined then the attacking side of our game is obviously going to need time to settle.

THIS ! too
Reply: 4 - 24
grimsby pete
August 25, 2012, 8:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from tintowner

Thats the spirit.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
Gary Haddock
August 25, 2012, 8:36pm

Neither above nor beneath
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +44 / -5
Approval: +6
We've proven with poor performances that we're hard to beat, so we have something to build on, like that Chriss guy said at half time, "if you can't win, don't loose", and like some above has said one win could kick start the season so, onwards and upwards.

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/zya4af.jpg[/IMG]

GTFC's black and white army.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/GTFCs-black-and-white-army/494332320600710?ref=hl
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
grimps
August 25, 2012, 8:42pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,176
Gold Stars: 46
Wait till we play a decent team  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
chaos33
August 25, 2012, 10:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,003
Gold Stars: 362
I was just going to say that. Let's not run away with this idea just yet. We haven't played one good team yet. I'm not talking about a team 'who should be up there' (like Wrexham), or a team who are in the top 10 like Stockport. I mean an actual 'good on the day' team. The four teams we have played have all been average at absolute best, and more accurately, poor. We won't know if we're solid defensively until we play a good team - that's if there are any in this league.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
Meza
August 26, 2012, 10:06am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,650
Gold Stars: 50
I'm surprised with kiddy at the min zero points and like Wrexham, GY and kiddy all seem to be struggling.  I thought our long ball was mainly down to the defense just hoofing it we don't seem to want to play it pass it around until late in the game the midfield need to show for the ball as do the forwards however I'm sure we will come good but launching it from the back is not the way forward.  But we're getting in decent positions etc and against Wrexham it was that final ball and set pieces that let us down atleast things can't get any worse.  Eventually it will all click.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
aaron rattray
August 26, 2012, 10:52am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
After years of having poor defences it looks as so our defence is finally good, it is hard to score against us and if you don't concede you are guaranteed at least a point

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
MarinerLM
August 26, 2012, 11:35am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
good to hear that, just need to maintain this at the back whilst being more clinical up front. you cant win matches if you dont score goals.

Once a Mariner, Always a Mariner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
salmon1620
August 26, 2012, 12:17pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
how has nathan poind been doing from a fleetwood fan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
DocTower
August 26, 2012, 3:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from salmon1620

I like what I've seen of him , we are weak in midfield and have been for some time , I think most fans here would like to see him take control there . Not sure how long we will keep him , he's here for a month at the moment .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
realityman
August 26, 2012, 3:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +9 / -69
Approval: +1
3 points out of 12 and could be 3 points out of 18 on saturday. what would you say then? give them more time etc. etc. etc. why can't these two succeed? maybe it could be that they can't manage a full time team!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
Mariner Ronnie
August 26, 2012, 4:03pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from realityman
3 points out of 12 and could be 3 points out of 18 on saturday. what would you say then? give them more time etc. etc. etc. why can't these two succeed? maybe it could be that they can't manage a full time team!

[img]http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001078987/kitty_bored_go_sleep_xlarge.jpeg[/img]

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
Mariner Ronnie
August 26, 2012, 4:13pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
i will say though that our defence has been very solid, mckeown has been good too

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
Tommy
August 26, 2012, 6:31pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from salmon1620

He's doing well at centre back but several times has switched off.

Can you please clear up this story of him allegedly not wanting to play in midfield any more and that was why he went out on loan to the BSN a year or 2 ago.

I'm sure a Fleetwood fan came on here not so long ago and said it was all a load of rubbish.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
80sglory
August 26, 2012, 7:45pm
Guest User
Quoted from realityman
3 points out of 12 and could be 3 points out of 18 on saturday.

Nothing better than thinking the worse !  

Good performance first, the win will come.
There's never any guarantee but it's time players got hungry out there.
Reply: 18 - 24
80sglory
August 26, 2012, 7:48pm
Guest User
I thought Pond did well but looked dodgy is possession once or twice - don't think he'll be what we need in midfield.
But maybe I'm wrong and he would be a good presence in there.
Reply: 19 - 24
Mighty_Mariner
August 26, 2012, 8:47pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,246
Gold Stars: 10
An interesting fact is if we can win our next 2 games, then we will have more points on the board than Fleetwood did in their first 6 games last season!

IMO we have a solid defence (Best in the league?) which is what ALL good teams are built around, we just need something to click up front and we'll be away!

UTM!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
ginnywings
August 26, 2012, 9:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Too early to tell how good the defence is in my opinion. They went to sleep against Southport. The team as a whole (defence included) switched off against Stockport. Nuneaton had nowt to worry us and i think Wrexham are on the wane.

Mansfield and Hereford will be a sterner test and the likes of Newport further down the line.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
chaos33
August 27, 2012, 7:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Absolutely right Ginny. People obviously need to find a positive, or some comfort in the disappointment and have seized upon our goals against column. Ludicrous to suggest that we might have the best defence in the league (it is far too early for any team to claim that). I think we might judge how good we are defensively at the end of September when we've played some good teams. Hell, people might even have to eat their words after today's game if we take a stuffing off Mansfield.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
tintowner
August 27, 2012, 8:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from chaos33
Absolutely right Ginny. People obviously need to find a positive, or some comfort in the disappointment and have seized upon our goals against column. Ludicrous to suggest that we might have the best defence in the league (it is far too early for any team to claim that). I think we might judge how good we are defensively at the end of September when we've played some good teams. Hell, people might even have to eat their words after today's game if we take a stuffing off Mansfield.

I see your point, but, if we had won all of our four opening games, would you still have the same opinion that we hadnt played any decent teams. We all know that if we were in Newports position, we would be dancing in the streets and not being bothered who we had played.

My opening thread was not meant to be a deadly serious observation of our current predicament btw.

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
chaos33
August 27, 2012, 8:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
I don't want to come across as anything other than balanced, so we do look to have a solid defence I think, but I would qualify that by saying that it hasn't faced a stern test yet.

In answer to your point I'd say yes - I'd still be saying the same if we'd won our first 4 games. I don't see our results against them as any real indication of how good these 4 opponents were. I think everyone could see that Southport were poor - win, lose or draw against them. I thought Stockport were poor too and wouldn't have justifiably said "we beat a good team tonight" if we'd held onto that 1 goal lead and finished as winners. They were absolutley there for the taking and we were weak to evetually end up losers. Nuneaton, on evidence, are nothing but average at very best, and Wrexham - well, we're still all a bit cloudied on them as they were a top team last year and are a big club like us - in theory, an away point at Wrexham would always be regarded as positive, regardless of whether they were actually good or not. Evidently, they looked as potent as us - ie, not at all.

In short - whatever our results against Southport, Stockport, Nuneaton and Wrexham, can anyone honestly say that we've played a good team yet? I suspect not. Blimey, in all our games last year I bet Town fans can only lay claim to seeing half a dozen or so 'good' teams. I think this is an aspect of why our own ineptitide is so infuriating - for the majority of the time we're playing drossy teams that we still can't beat!

I agree about Newport  - would love to be in their position. I don't know off the top of my head who they've played, but the signs are there that they will, in all likelihood, be a good side in contention this year.

Update: I note the Newport have beaten Braintree and Mansfield away and Lincoln and Nuneaton (4-0) at home. Wonder if they feel they've beaten a good team yet?

As for Mansfield - they've beaten Hyde at home and Kiddy away, but have lost to Newport and Gateshead. We'll see today if they're decent or not, as they will with us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › On A Positive Note....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.