Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Akpa Akpro for The Premiership?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 103 Guests

Akpa Akpro for The Premiership?

This thread currently has 2,895 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
August 20, 2012, 12:52pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
I'm sure he'll change his mind after a few more games. I remember when he first signed for us and he looked like a world beater at Winterton. Seems like his started his Tranmere career in a similar fashion but I'd be very surprised if he carries on scoring goals like the one he got on Saturday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19318482

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Super Clive
August 20, 2012, 1:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Nah not premiership, don't get me wrong I rated him when he was here and thought he could progress but not that far. I think lower championship top end league one at his peak.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
psgmariner
August 20, 2012, 1:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Good player in a god awful team when he ws with us.

Hope he has a great career but at 27 I think his chances of playing in the Premier League are fast diminishing. Played in the French top flight already but think he may have to settle for the lower reaches of the football league in England. A standard we can only dream of at the moment!

Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
Codzilla
August 20, 2012, 1:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +11 / -3
He's not good enough for a decent league 1 team. His scoring record speaks for itself. What an awful footballer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
costa del cleethorpes
August 20, 2012, 1:29pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -3
He was/is shite
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
Dan
August 20, 2012, 1:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
What. Do people have seriously short memories? He wasn't good enough when he was with us at all. The only thing that you could guarantee when Akpa Akpro played is a mazy, pointless run followed by the kids down Blundell Av getting a couple of free footballs.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
wigworld
August 20, 2012, 1:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
have we got a sell-on clause?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 26
psgmariner
August 20, 2012, 1:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Dan
What. Do people have seriously short memories? He wasn't good enough when he was with us at all. The only thing that you could guarantee when Akpa Akpro played is a mazy, pointless run followed by the kids down Blundell Av getting a couple of free footballs.

He wasn't good enough for us?

How come he is playing League 1 then? You know more than Rochdale and Tranmere's professional scouting and management set ups do you?

Rochdale wanted to keep him after a decent season in League 1 but he turned them down to sign for Tranmere.

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
porkies
August 20, 2012, 1:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +2 / -1
He has, potentially, enormous ability. Way too good for Grimsby Town. Signing him was possibly the only bright thing Newell did during his time at BP. If Lambert and Le Fondre can hack it in The Premiership, why not Ak-Ak?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
Codzilla
August 20, 2012, 1:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Because they're actually good footballers with great goal scoring ability?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
Dan
August 20, 2012, 1:58pm

Exile
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
Quoted from psgmariner

He wasn't good enough for us?

How come he is playing League 1 then? You know more than Rochdale and Tranmere's professional scouting and management set ups do you?

Rochdale wanted to keep him after a decent season in League 1 but he turned them down to sign for Tranmere.

Yes he wasn't good enough for us. You know, what with never scoring goals and the team subsequently being relegated.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
Les Brechin
August 20, 2012, 1:59pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from porkies
He has, potentially, enormous ability. Way too good for Grimsby Town. Signing him was possibly the only bright thing Newell did during his time at BP. If Lambert and Le Fondre can hack it in The Premiership, why not Ak-Ak?

That's possibly the funniest thing I've read on here for a while. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he was as bad as some people are making out but 8 goals in 56 appearances despite having about 3 millions shots.  Come on

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
Maringer
August 20, 2012, 2:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,690
Gold Stars: 189
JLAA is never going to be a great goalscorer but his strength, pace, aerial ability and workrate (except for during that Cup defeat against Bath) mean that he can be a useful player. I'd tend to agree that he'll never be good enough for the Premiershite but could perhaps do a job for any level up to the bottom half of the Championship. A poor man's Emile Heskey, if you will.

Don't forget that he was surrounded by utter dross during his time at BP, especially during the relegation season. You can't expect a striker to score many goals playing alongside the likes of Proudlock and Tommy Wright and he had to do Peacock's running for him as well. I'd have him in place of any of our strikers (other than Hearn), in a heartbeat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
AdamHaddock
August 20, 2012, 2:37pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,842
Gold Stars: 26
When I first saw this thread I assumed he was signing for someone like Kilmarnock or Dundee.

As for the English premiership, as ridiculous as it sounds, is the the sort of rough diamond that Martinez can work with?

Can't see it I'm afraid. Maybe he could get ten a year for a lower championship club.

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
Abdul19
August 20, 2012, 2:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 220
He was rubbish for a year but improved a lot when Woods took over (got 5 or 6 goals in the last 4 months of the season which must've been an improvement of about 600%).

Premier League? Top man management, Ronnie.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
semilapsedmariner
August 20, 2012, 2:51pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: +0
I liked buckos comment about him that his feet are quicker than his brain.

Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play.
It is bound up with hatred,jealousy,boastfullness,
disregard of all rules and a sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence;
In other words it is war without the shooting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
Manchester Mariner
August 20, 2012, 3:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Maybe he's the new Grant Holt?

But I doubt it.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 26
Super Clive
August 20, 2012, 3:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Stick AKpro next to hearn and watch the goals flow from both partys  
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
Wrawby_Mariner
August 20, 2012, 4:09pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Super Clive
Stick AKpro next to hearn and watch the goals flow from both partys  

Stick Akpoo on the bench. How can a player that wasn't good enough to play for us in League 2 every week be good enough to play in the English top flight .. Crazy talk
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 18 - 26
pontoonlew
August 20, 2012, 5:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Moore is right in the fact that with finishing he has the potential to be a terrific player. Sadly though his finishing is going to take a genuis to sort out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
topuphere666
August 20, 2012, 6:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner

Stick Akpoo on the bench. How can a player that wasn't good enough to play for us in League 2 every week be good enough to play in the English top flight .. Crazy talk

Wasn't good enough for us in L2 but has featured in League 1 since he left us. ??? He is a decent player.

He had a very poor side alongside him here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
aaron rattray
August 20, 2012, 7:46pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
He was fast thats it, dreadful shooter

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
NoganKnowsBest
August 20, 2012, 8:41pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Some of the comments over the years on this message board beggar's belief, but the mere assertion that
"He(JLAA) has, potentially, enormous ability. Way too good for Grimsby Town," and, "I think lower championship top end league one at his peak," has completely dumbfounded me.

JLAA rates as one of the worst footballers that has pulled on the black and white shirt, and lets face it we've had plenty of dross. His ball control parallels with Mr. Makofo, and as i painfully watched my team drop out of LEAGUE TWO at the expense of mickey mouse outfits like Dag & Red, i reflected on the team that sent us down. To have the audacity to pick up a pay cheque; Mr Leary, Mr Clarke,Mr Forbes, Mr Boshell, Mr JLAA (the list well and truely goes on), i quite frankly found a mockery. Where I work we have something called professional pride, and if you're $hit at your job, you're gone. These masqueraders were nothing but leeches, that fed off a club in turmoil. Its either short term memory or some of you don't actually watch town, because I am actually offended by some of the drivel you spout.

It was talentless cr@p like JLAA that has got us into this predicament, and yet some of you laud him as an f'ing Championship player.

Seriously, get a grip

What you gonna do when the hulkster runs wild on YOU?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
Maringer
August 20, 2012, 9:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,690
Gold Stars: 189
If all of the players in the relegation team were so poor, why is it that several of them have enjoyed successful periods in League One and Two since?

JLAA isn't a great goalscorer and never will be but he still has the attributes to be a useful player, as he showed on occasion during his time with us. He'd scare the living crap out of defenders at our level and would probably manage to get a dozen or so goals but more importantly, would create lots of space for his teammates. Not that this is of relevance as he's playing two divisions higher than us - just like the past two seasons.

Something that is even more impressive is that Soccerbase seems to think he is 5 feet 12 inches tall! I've never heard of anybody that height before!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
Super Clive
August 20, 2012, 9:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from NoganKnowsBest
Some of the comments over the years on this message board beggar's belief, but the mere assertion that
"He(JLAA) has, potentially, enormous ability. Way too good for Grimsby Town," and, "I think lower championship top end league one at his peak," has completely dumbfounded me.

JLAA rates as one of the worst footballers that has pulled on the black and white shirt, and lets face it we've had plenty of dross. His ball control parallels with Mr. Makofo, and as i painfully watched my team drop out of LEAGUE TWO at the expense of mickey mouse outfits like Dag & Red, i reflected on the team that sent us down. To have the audacity to pick up a pay cheque; Mr Leary, Mr Clarke,Mr Forbes, Mr Boshell, Mr JLAA (the list well and truely goes on), i quite frankly found a mockery. Where I work we have something called professional pride, and if you're $hit at your job, you're gone. These masqueraders were nothing but leeches, that fed off a club in turmoil. Its either short term memory or some of you don't actually watch town, because I am actually offended by some of the drivel you spout.

It was talentless cr@p like JLAA that has got us into this predicament, and yet some of you laud him as an f'ing Championship player.

Seriously, get a grip

You get a grip.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
NoganKnowsBest
August 20, 2012, 9:29pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Quoted from Super Clive

You get a grip.

With 3,940 at a rate of 7.24 posts per day, i'd be kind in saying 3,900 of them were anything short of complete verbal faeces. If i were you, I'd buy a septic tank to store all your bull$hit.

PS The fact that you tarnish Clive Mendonca esteemed name riles me even more. As for your retort, NICE ONE MATE

What you gonna do when the hulkster runs wild on YOU?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
80sglory
August 21, 2012, 1:28am
Guest User
Quoted from Abdul19
He was rubbish for a year but improved a lot when Woods took over (got 5 or 6 goals in the last 4 months of the season which must've been an improvement of about 600%).

Premier League? Top man management, Ronnie.

Spot on.

"He's got everything and if he can put the goals into his game, I think he's got a chance to go higher,"

Exactly what I thought when I e-mailed JF to make the case for him to stay in 2010.
What a combination Akpro and Connell might have been but who needs a player with potential on the up when you've got Lee Peacock ?    
Not that I blame anyone cos who knows what the players circumstances were (except he said he wanted to play league football) though I never did get a reply. (not sent to the club so perhaps that's why)

Sometimes just wonder if things might have been different.
Though tbf with Woods at the helm and midfield issues probably not...

Quoted from psgmariner

Exactly, it's ridiculous.

Think too many fans judge what players have done instead of their potential for the future.

PS How's Sweeney doing ? Have L1 Bury seen sense and ditched him yet ?  
Perhaps it proves when the TEAM is struggling, there's little point trying to assess players true value but we still do it.
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Akpa Akpro for The Premiership?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.