Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why not Buckley till January?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 200 Guests

Why not Buckley till January?

This thread currently has 1,749 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
August 18, 2012, 10:07pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,716
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from marinette
Did anyone go to the 8-1 defeat by Hartlepool?  Was today worse than that?  (different league, obviously)  I didn't go, so I can't judge but surely if we let 8 goals in, it must have been a poor performance.  Ditto the 6 goals against Oldham (was it?)

Another one I didn't go to but I remember the reaction - when Town lost 4-1 at Torquay, under Alan Buckley.  I seem to remember fans being very badly upset after that one.  In fact, on here, people were planning to meet the coach after the next game and give the players a piece of their mind and worse - it got a bit intimidating from what I remember.  Without looking, does anyone remember what actually happened in that next game after Torquay?     I do.

Then there was that game v Scunthorpe (Slade's first season) where half the team seemed to get booked or sent off, we got heavily defeated and there was the incident in defence - and the vicious song aimed at Brian Laws.  That was pretty bad.

And the game v Lincoln when Slade got his flipchart out at half time.  5-0 if I remember correctly.

And we gave up the ghost against Burton, didn't we.  Not at the races.  And Cardiff in the playoffs.

Not trying to prove any point, but simply trying to put things into perspective - today we picked up a point (albeit against dire opposition) and kept a clean sheet.  So why do I, too, think it was probably one of the worst games I've ever seen?

(Not sure why I put this in the Bring Back Buckley thread - must be losing it!)

IIRC we beat our Lincolnshire friends from down the A16 on their own field by scoring as many goals as they have fingers on each hand.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
marinette
August 18, 2012, 10:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Les Brechin

IIRC we beat our Lincolnshire friends from down the A16 on their own field by scoring as many goals as they have fingers on each hand.

Yep.  Typical Town - full of surprises.  Let's hope this lot are the same.

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
aldi_01
August 19, 2012, 12:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Yay, let's bring back a man out of his depth, devoid of ideas as much as the current system. Consistency is key and whilst today was dire we are still improved on this time last year. We've sacked managers in the past and it's hard,y helped has it?

If people think bringing the old one back that's their opinion but personally I'd leave well alone else the legend and hero that is Alan Buckley will become nothing of the sort...he should have had his third spell and certainly not a fourth.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
headingly_mariner
August 19, 2012, 1:45am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,391
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from marinette
Did anyone go to the 8-1 defeat by Hartlepool?  Was today worse than that?  (different league, obviously)  I didn't go, so I can't judge but surely if we let 8 goals in, it must have been a poor performance.  Ditto the 6 goals against Oldham (was it?)

Another one I didn't go to but I remember the reaction - when Town lost 4-1 at Torquay, under Alan Buckley.  I seem to remember fans being very badly upset after that one.  In fact, on here, people were planning to meet the coach after the next game and give the players a piece of their mind and worse - it got a bit intimidating from what I remember.  Without looking, does anyone remember what actually happened in that next game after Torquay?     I do.

Then there was that game v Scunthorpe (Slade's first season) where half the team seemed to get booked or sent off, we got heavily defeated and there was the incident in defence - and the vicious song aimed at Brian Laws.  That was pretty bad.

And the game v Lincoln when Slade got his flipchart out at half time.  5-0 if I remember correctly.

And we gave up the ghost against Burton, didn't we.  Not at the races.  And Cardiff in the playoffs.

Not trying to prove any point, but simply trying to put things into perspective - today we picked up a point (albeit against dire opposition) and kept a clean sheet.  So why do I, too, think it was probably one of the worst games I've ever seen?

(Not sure why I put this in the Bring Back Buckley thread - must be losing it!)

i was at both the 8-1 and the 6-0, they were shocking performances and hard to take but neither have made me not want to go as much as the start to this season. Long ball is so depressing and when it doesn't work it is soul destroying. I would rather watch a excrement team that tries to play football than a male masturbation hoofball outfit.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
marinette
August 19, 2012, 9:45am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

i was at both the 8-1 and the 6-0, they were shocking performances and hard to take but neither have made me not want to go as much as the start to this season. Long ball is so depressing and when it doesn't work it is soul destroying. I would rather watch a excrement team that tries to play football than a male masturbation hoofball outfit.  

I feel your pain!     Clearly you and I are both 'Buckleyites' but mr marinette isn't - he said to me yesterday, 'I'd rather have seen them lose and play well than have to sit through that'.  

Anyway, here are a few questions:

- Which of our current players have been successful elsewhere?  Do they really only need time to settle down?

- We wanted young, hungry non-league players with potential for improvement.  Have we got them?  Do they just need time to settle down, like Liam Hearn and Shaun Pearson last season?  Why do other clubs with new players seem to be doing better than us?  Is it to do with the coaching, or the tactics or something else?  If it all comes right eventually, what is the point, when other teams are way ahead of us and we don't have time to catch up?  Would it have been better to have stuck more with what we already had last season and only brought in one or two?

- Talking about the players needing time to settle down, could the managers be in the same position and still be learning?  Is it worth giving them the chance to get it right?

- People have recently been shouting very loudly about 'living within our means'.  Unless we get an absolutely superb manager who can make a silk purse out of a pig's backside, can we not expect our standards to deteriorate if we are 'living within our means'?  Is this a taste of things to come - in fact, is it going to be even worse if funding from our ahem - 'sugar daddy'  - is withdrawn altogether?  Where does the sacking of managers come into this debate?  Is it economically viable to pay off more managers (and probably more players) rather than stick with it and see how it turns out?  Or are we going to lose more money if we continue to offer the same kind of horror show that was served up yesterday?  Surely it won't be like that every game?  

There, you see, I'm talking myself into giving the managers more of a chance, even though I hated yesterday, and wasn't keen on last season either - I distinctly remember getting slated when people were raving about last year's run of results.  Well I was happy with the results but had the temerity to say that I couldn't see much quality.  Super Clive seems to have changed his tune now.

Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
conscorner
August 19, 2012, 9:53am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +298
Why not Buckley to January??? - what happens in January? Perhaps the original poster is not all that confident in AB?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
scrumble
August 19, 2012, 10:00am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Ok, my memory maybe letting me down here, but how did Buckley stabilise the club? We finished in the bottom half of league two the last time he was here, the last manager to offer 'stability' was the all round well loved Slade

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
marinette
August 19, 2012, 10:03am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from scrumble
Ok, my memory maybe letting me down here, but how did Buckley stabilise the club? We finished in the bottom half of league two the last time he was here, the last manager to offer 'stability' was the all round well loved Slade

Perhaps you should be changing the name(s) on your avatar now?  

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
tashee69
August 19, 2012, 10:15am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +959
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from scrumble

Buckley can do no wrong in some peoples eyes. I admire the guy for what he did 10+ years ago. I've pointed out about his last 14 league games in charge but that seems not to matter because it was the end of the season or we was unlucky.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
barralad
August 19, 2012, 10:21am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,295
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from aldi_01
Yay, let's bring back a man out of his depth, devoid of ideas as much as the current system. Consistency is key and whilst today was dire we are still improved on this time last year. We've sacked managers in the past and it's hard,y helped has it?

If people think bringing the old one back that's their opinion but personally I'd leave well alone else the legend and hero that is Alan Buckley will become nothing of the sort...he should have had his third spell and certainly not a fourth.

On the corresponding Saturday last season we fought to get a 0-0 draw away at Newport playing the last 20 or so minutes with 10 men. Fight was very conspicuous by it's absence yesterday....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why not Buckley till January?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.