August 10, 2012, 12:12am
UTM
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 4
now then everyone,

for the first time ever, i may have the chance to get a lease car through work with them contributing towards the cost.

Now i've never been able to afford a brand new car myself, but this is giving me the chance to get something nice.

I'm looking for a saloon, enough room for a family of 5 (2 adults, and 3 small kids), economical over long distance (so probably a diesel), and something fast enough to make motorway driving more comfortable (2l td probably).

Looking at prices, I'm actually shocked to see that for 250 a month, on a lease, that would get me an audi a4 or a5, or a Mondeo. Initially, looking at reviews and knowing fords, the mondeo was my first choice and thought that would be my price bracket. but looking into it abit more, the bigger names (paying for the badge), and higher end cars come in a similar cost per month bracket.

reading reviews I'm still actually thinking mondeo over the a4 which some people would class as daft, but it does appear reading alot of these reviews that with Audi you're often paying just for the badge . when it comes to it and I get the ok to put an order in, I'll obviously test drive around town etc, but can anyone give any personal recomendations for a decent company car, saloon, diesel etc as above.

cheers
Dave

Gary Lump Lump Lump!
Logged Offline
Private Message
tonyfordsmicrofro
August 10, 2012, 1:20am

Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +37 / -4
Approval: +26
Will you get taxed more on the Audi than the Mondeo? Worth looking into if you're unsure because my firm would take more out of my wage if I decided to go with a BMW or Audi. My company see's going to a German car as "an upgrade" and I ultimately have to pay for that upgrade. I've had Mondeo's in the past, a 55 and 57 plate and I think they are great cars. I drove a company BMW 320d a couple of weeks ago. Yeah, a great car but it didn't come with all the add on's that the company Mondeo's have (parking sensors, sat nav, seat warmers etc) but your company might be different. You're lucky that you've been given the chance to drive a few. I just get told "that's your car, off you go". I've never driven an Audi, so can't help you there I'm afraid.

Another thing worth looking at maybe is an automatic. I spend most of my working day in my car, usually on the M1 or M25, often at rush hour and lets just say that my left leg is in far better shape than my right.

Happy car hunting Dave.

You fill up my senses,
Like a barrel of Tetley's,
Like a packet of Woodbine,
Like a good pinch of snuff,
Like a night out in Cleethorpes,
Like a greasy chip butty,
O, Super Black and Whites,
Come fill me again
Na na naa naa naa naaaa TOWN!!
Na na naa naa na na naaaa
Na na naa naa na naaa naaa
Na na naa naa naa naaaaaaa!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
paddymariners
August 10, 2012, 9:40am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / -3
If you've got the option of a BMW 320d I'd go for that every time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
FishOutOfWater
August 10, 2012, 12:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from bigdavemariner
now then everyone,

for the first time ever, i may have the chance to get a lease car through work with them contributing towards the cost.

Now i've never been able to afford a brand new car myself, but this is giving me the chance to get something nice.

I'm looking for a saloon, enough room for a family of 5 (2 adults, and 3 small kids), economical over long distance (so probably a diesel), and something fast enough to make motorway driving more comfortable (2l td probably).

Looking at prices, I'm actually shocked to see that for 250 a month, on a lease, that would get me an audi a4 or a5, or a Mondeo. Initially, looking at reviews and knowing fords, the mondeo was my first choice and thought that would be my price bracket. but looking into it abit more, the bigger names (paying for the badge), and higher end cars come in a similar cost per month bracket.

reading reviews I'm still actually thinking mondeo over the a4 which some people would class as daft, but it does appear reading alot of these reviews that with Audi you're often paying just for the badge . when it comes to it and I get the ok to put an order in, I'll obviously test drive around town etc, but can anyone give any personal recomendations for a decent company car, saloon, diesel etc as above.

cheers
Dave

That's very true....you could get yourself a Skoda with a much better spec than the Audi and to all intents and purposes they are the same cars, just different badges
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 15
grimsby pete
August 11, 2012, 6:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Nissan Qashqai do a 2ltr 5 or 7 seater,

I Like Nissan's, They drive well and are very comfortable,

Worth a test drive.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
paulgtfc
August 11, 2012, 10:50pm
Never lost at the old Wembley!
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
If you know Fords and are happy to slum it with a Focus then you will get a tax efficient co car. There is an Eco version which gives good fuel economy. I'm very happy with my Focus petrol co car though!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
BIGChris
August 11, 2012, 10:59pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
I had an Audi (A6) and drove about 140k miles in it. I loved it but service/repair costs are very steep.

A high range Mondeo is an ideal choice for a company car especially if you put the miles in. Read the What Car reviews and it is right at the top in most aspects
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
bigdavemariner
August 11, 2012, 11:16pm
UTM
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 4
cheers for the response everyone.

I've not gone into detail on numbers yet, so unsure how much my employer will contribute and what the prices are on the leases. so anything I've looked at currently is just via the usual lease sites on the net. Company leases are far more affordable than I thought, and I never in a million years dreamt of being able to afford a brand new Audi.  But as I said, I think I'm being suckered in by the badge and whole label that comes with an Audi.

Of all the reviews I've read, Mondeo comes out on top for company mid to high range cars. Chris, looked at those reviews and thats what has amazed me that the Mondeo is coming out on top of pretty much everything in that price bracket.

will look forward to finding out more from work and hopefully getting the green light to go car shopping

Gary Lump Lump Lump!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
moosey_club
August 11, 2012, 11:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,325
Gold Stars: 229
Depends on just how far your company will stretch and the terms of your lease.
We lease cars on a 3 x 30,000 full maintenance contract at around 360 + vat per month.  
Fairly recently given up a VW Passatt 2.0 Highline spec....cracking car...not an ounce of trouble in 89,000 miles in 2.5 yrs, very economical, managed 930 miles off one tank but averaged 750. Cracking spec as well, electric everything, heated seats, cruise etc all the driver comforts for that type of useage.
Currently using a Volvo V70 which is terrible in comparison, alot poorer to drive, not as economical and nowhere near as roomy.
Colleague has a Skoda Octavia which is ok, not bad for room either.
Had a quote for a Seat Leon Eco something or other recently too, low monthly rates and good spec.

Bear in mind though the all important CO emissions as these will have the biggest influence on your benefit in kind (b.i.k) tax. You have to pay 10% base rate, then 3% for a diesel,  then for emissions above the current threshold it costs you extra percentage. The threshold drops again over the next two years as well so to get the lowest rate of b.i.k of 10% you need to look at 95(?) or lower on emissions which narrows your market. Skoda Octavia Greenline, Citroen DS3 would be diesels in this category.  These are also cheaper to buy so you pay less tax there too.

To minimise my tax i have been looking at petrol hybrid for my next order, save 3% by going petrol, Toyota Auris, Prius or even the Lexus 200(?) all come in the low emission bracket and these in the right spec have plenty of creature comforts if you can get one in your budget. Also the company can draw down tax relief quicker on hybrids so that may be of interest to them.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
acko338
August 12, 2012, 8:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,212
Gold Stars: 33
Skoda Superb for me at the moment, Audi engine, Volkswagen body - I've gone through the full reliable range of Skodas in the last 15 years, always over 100,000 miles of reliable just serviced motoring, very little bodywork needs, turn key and go !

Felicia estate - Sheffield and back for 18 months - bit underpowered but reliable,

Octavia 2 litre petrol - 6 years to Hull and back every working day unless touring the country for the firm - beast of a car - put 160,000 miles on the clock before a lorry shortened it coming off the M 62 !

Now  - Superb saloon - over 100,000 on the clock - never been above 3,500 revs on the diesel engine - Doncaster and back + nationwide client calls - 2 services per year - still going straight through MOT easily - loads of room  - 6 footers in the back , no probs - popular taxi choice - one in grimsby has nearly 300,000 on the clock.

Oh, yeah - the wife's got a diesel Octavia estate - almost on 200,000 miles - dead reliable - I had to find a home for my saloon's spare wheel !!!

Next? - probably a newer Superb estate - followed one yesterday that looked the business ! great value for money!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Company car

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.