Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Observations of a new fishy...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 67 Guests

Observations of a new fishy...

This thread currently has 2,170 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
to feet
August 6, 2012, 1:38pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Due to moving a fair bit, but loving my footy, i often start going to the local biggest club and enjoy banter/discussion etc. on messageboards with the fans of said club. For now, Grimsby are that club and so i've been to few pre-season games and been reading this message board for a month or so now. Thought it was about time i got involved in what i think, compared to others, is a good messageboard full of genuine fans and is actually a lot more active than some 'bigger' clubs boards i've been on. Some observations from my first month:

It's a great board yes, but there are some very sensitive people on here who bite very easily!! Relax people, lets talk about our team rather than attacking each other because of a bit of banter, or because they're annoying. An example is the whole aaron thing - jesus it's boring and i've only been reading posts during this pre-season, so i'll say this and never speak of it again. Yes, in mine and i'm sure most other people's opinion it seems, aaron isn't remotely funny, and his 'did anyone see me' is a bit pathetic......but it seems to me he's a young kid, he's allowed his opinion and i've just read a different thread where he made a very good point. Anyway, on to far more important things.....

I didnt see the Mariner's last season so i cant compare and see if things have progressed or not, but i've been quite impressed in pre-season so far. Some of the signings in particular look useful - Cook and both Pearsons have impressed most for me overall so far and i think Cook and G Pearson could work well together. Saw a bit of Southwell too however and was also very impressed with him, seems a good kid and i would get him out on loan but only until January (perhaps an option for the season if the strikers are doing the job anyway but might be worth having the option to re-call him in January). Midfield as a whole seems in good shape too - but talking of shape, i think 4-4-2 looks much better than 4-3-3 from the little i've seen. Again tho, defo worth looking to have another option so worthwhile trying to get some semblance of 4-3-3 working.

Overall, liking GTFC so far and football wise, I think play offs, though a tough ask, are a possibility.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Manchester Mariner
August 6, 2012, 2:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,824
Gold Stars: 41
Welcome to the fold mate, out of interest who were the previous clubs you have followed on your travels?

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
to feet
August 6, 2012, 3:43pm
Coke Drinker
Little bit of Burton, Birmingham, Liverpool, Plymouth. But will often go to random game with mates too. Hopefully get to a good few Grimsby matches this season now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
Super Clive
August 6, 2012, 3:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
One club one love for me, I don't know how you do it but I couldn't in a million years.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
moosey_club
August 6, 2012, 4:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,335
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from to feet
Due to moving a fair bit, but loving my footy, i often start going to the local biggest club

Have you not heard of Hull?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
to feet
August 6, 2012, 4:06pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Have you not heard of Hull?

I have indeed mate. But after growing up in Birmingham and then Liverpool where a 'local' derby or 'local' biggest club is matter of walking distance, with Hull being 30 miles away, it may as well be Plymouth!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
Billybigbollox
August 6, 2012, 4:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +3
Quoted from to feet

I have indeed mate. But after growing up in Birmingham and then Liverpool where a 'local' derby or 'local' biggest club is matter of walking distance, with Hull being 30 miles away, it may as well be Plymouth!

Id rather walk  30 miles to watch town than walk 3 feet to watch the mud rats  

welcome
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
BiloLCFC
August 6, 2012, 5:55pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +23 / -1
But look at the fun you could have supporting Hull City.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgS1RFk1cU8

[img]http://m0.ttxm.co.uk/images/feeds/pa/news/2011/05/18/460x259/N0537981305713203727A.jpg[/img]
When You're Smiling...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
August 6, 2012, 5:58pm
Guest User
If I was in a similar situation I'd probably go to the odd game, maybe even develop a slight affection above a vague interest for the club but I couldn't bring myself to support another club.
Reply: 8 - 20
Codzilla
August 6, 2012, 6:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Quoted from BiloLCFC
But look at the fun you could have supporting Hull City.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgS1RFk1cU8

I feel sick
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Observations of a new fishy...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.