3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
cmackenzie4
August 4, 2012, 8:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Did anybody watch the programme last week about people living with ocd ? Is there anyone on here (the fishy) who think they have some kind of ocd, ? If i am honest after watching this documentary i think i have a mild form of this compulsive disorder - mine is having to have things in order, like a routine, Now i don't know if this is because of the way i was brought up (strict) or serving in the forces were everything is done by routine, i just can't pinpoint it.

Be interesting to hear other peoples views on this and if anyone suffers with this disorder in anyway.  

Ps - this is a genuine debate and not a urine take.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
mariner83
August 4, 2012, 9:08pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
I've got mild OCD tendencies, I cannot have the volume on an odd number - I did have a thing about odd numbers in general, I would only eat an even amount of something such as biscuits or fish fingers, sausages etc...
I would rather walk up the stairs in the pitch black than put the landing light on and have the double light switch out of sync

I think everyone has OCD to a certain degree it's just how "big" it is and how much it affects their lives.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
cmackenzie4
August 4, 2012, 9:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Exactly,  I think we all suffer in some kind of way - I suppose it affects people differently..

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
roundballovalhole
August 4, 2012, 11:28pm
Guest User
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Did anybody watch the programme last week about people living with ocd ? Is there anyone on here (the fishy) who think they have some kind of ocd, ? If i am honest after watching this documentary i think i have a mild form of this compulsive disorder - mine is having to have things in order, like a routine, Now i don't know if this is because of the way i was brought up (strict) or serving in the forces were everything is done by routine, i just can't pinpoint it.

Be interesting to hear other peoples views on this and if anyone suffers with this disorder in anyway.  

Ps - this is a genuine debate and not a urine take.

Like many of these things, one can read an article or watch a programme and self diagnose a disorder.    

What the o.p. described could be that he is on autistic spectrum also.

The popularity of bi-polar affective disorder has grown dramatically since since kerry catona (borderline p.d.) and stephenfry (narcissistic shell, bright intellect, repressed adolescent sexuality) wrre incorrectly grasping this diagnosis!
Reply: 3 - 22
upthestripes
August 5, 2012, 12:38am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
I don't like asymmetry or things that aren't in patterns. For example if there're two cups on the table with the handle of one facing me and the other one pointing in another direction I have to either turn the other one to me or turn the first one till it's pointing symmetrically with the other. Mad really. Don't even think about it, just do it automatically. Wouldn't say it's ocd though, just a weird quirk.

P.S. The writing in my sig took me ages to position, I tried to centre it with the picture but it kept bugging me that it seemed a space out every time so I kept going back to do it again. Mental, but ho hum.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
kamakazebear
August 5, 2012, 2:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +483
Quoted from 1054

Like many of these things, one can read an article or watch a programme and self diagnose a disorder.    

What the o.p. described could be that he is on autistic spectrum also.

The popularity of bi-polar affective disorder has grown dramatically since since kerry catona (borderline p.d.) and stephenfry (narcissistic shell, bright intellect, repressed adolescent sexuality) wrre incorrectly grasping this diagnosis!

I'm inclined to agree. There's such a need nowadays to put a name to everything. A person can't just be a bit socially awkward or shy, they must have autism or another condition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
Mrs Doyle
August 5, 2012, 7:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Yeah I think they like to stick a label on everything these days.

I think OCD does affect everyone to a degree the only time it gets to be a problem is when it affects your Social, working life and family.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
jock dock tower
August 5, 2012, 8:57am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
You only have to watch Nadal at the tennis to see a perfect example of this. He puts his bottles of juice, energy drink, etc on the floor and he studiously ensures that all the labels are exactly facing the same way, to the n'th degree. He zips up his banana after each bite between games, and places it exactly into the same place from whence it came. When he's facing a serve, he pulls his shorts at the bumhole, he then pulls his ear, nose, then the other ear, every serve. Beckham is similarly afflicted with things having to be placed in exact situations in whichever fabulous hotel room he deems worthy of his presence.

When working with people suffering from mental illness many moons ago in Grimsby, there was a woman who was resident at the unit I worked at who although she went to bed at a reasonable time would spend most of the night taking clothes out of her drawers, folding them, putting them back in, and then continue to do this again and again until she eventually went to sleep.

I count white lines in the middle of the road when driving, total them up at certain points, and work out the mean average of these and equate them to cricket batting averages! I sometimes walk trying to get my toe ends to get as near to the end of the paving stone as possible for as many as possible, with only an inch or so tolerance before failure. Again, very mild degree of obsessive behaviour, but there's no rationale to it. Really sympathise with people who do suffer, it must be awful.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
cmackenzie4
August 5, 2012, 9:06am

Recovering Alcoholic
Good post John.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
AlfredTheGreat
August 5, 2012, 10:20am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -156
I am compelled to watch excrement football teams and pretty obsessive about it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › OCD

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.