This thread currently has 6,179 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
newfootballer
July 24, 2012, 9:26am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
  When I first came to Grimsby in 1966, the words Hall ,Betmead and Buck use to echo around Blundell Park.

Nothing but admiration and respect for these great Grimsby Town Legends.

They apparently knew how to play football and probally played for next to nothing money just the thrill of playing for Grimsby Town was enough for the magical threesome.

A few years later the famous Jackie Bestall kicked of Ron Cockerills testimonial game and I was fortunate to be picked by Ron when I was making my way to the first team.

Never forget what Jackie Bestall said to me just before he started the game, he said I have heard a lot about you, you the same size as me, but I will tell you this you will never be as good as me and kicked the game of and walked off the pitch.

Me personally i was dead impressed that Jackie Bestall even knew who I wasmade my night
GREAT DAYS.
NEWFOOTBALLER
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 24, 2012, 3:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from newfootballer
  When I first came to Grimsby in 1966, the words Hall ,Betmead and Buck use to echo around Blundell Park.

Nothing but admiration and respect for these great Grimsby Town Legends.

They apparently knew how to play football and probally played for next to nothing money just the thrill of playing for Grimsby Town was enough for the magical threesome.

A few years later the famous Jackie Bestall kicked of Ron Cockerills testimonial game and I was fortunate to be picked by Ron when I was making my way to the first team.

Never forget what Jackie Bestall said to me just before he started the game, he said I have heard a lot about you, you the same size as me, but I will tell you this you will never be as good as me and kicked the game of and walked off the pitch.

Me personally i was dead impressed that Jackie Bestall even knew who I wasmade my night
GREAT DAYS.
NEWFOOTBALLER

I remember Ron's testimonial. Bestall was the only Town player to have a road named after him of course.

The pre-war wages were poor but maybe players were more satisfied with their lifestyle then. A transfer to Arsenal would be the ultimate in the 1930s but even there players like Alex James could get a bus or the tube to the game without hassle. It was in the 1950s when players started to get more celebrity conscious and wanted to see some of the cash they were making for their clubs - that's what led to George Eastham's stand on wages.

Correct me if I'm wrong though Dave but I was told years ago that a lot of players were in favour of keeping the maximum wage because they feared all the money would go to the stars and the lesser known players might even be worse off than before.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
barralad
July 24, 2012, 8:22pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127

I remember Ron's testimonial. Bestall was the only Town player to have a road named after him of course.

The pre-war wages were poor but maybe players were more satisfied with their lifestyle then. A transfer to Arsenal would be the ultimate in the 1930s but even there players like Alex James could get a bus or the tube to the game without hassle. It was in the 1950s when players started to get more celebrity conscious and wanted to see some of the cash they were making for their clubs - that's what led to George Eastham's stand on wages.

Correct me if I'm wrong though Dave but I was told years ago that a lot of players were in favour of keeping the maximum wage because they feared all the money would go to the stars and the lesser known players might even be worse off than before.

That's very interesting. Long term though their fears I'd suggest have proven groundless with the wages of the very top players inflating in turn those of mediocre (and worse) players.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
Caveman
July 24, 2012, 8:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 17
Isn't there a Glover Rd near Bestall Rd ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hall Betmead and Buck

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.