2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Belfast Town
July 19, 2012, 8:16am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,700
Gold Stars: 19
Town drew 0-0 with Linfield in a pre-season friendly at Windsor Park. Were any other Fishy subscribers there?
Logged Offline
Private Message
livosnose
July 19, 2012, 8:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,176
Gold Stars: 15
nope

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
Belfast Town
July 19, 2012, 8:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Peter Handysides broke his ankle I seem to recall
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
marinerian
July 19, 2012, 8:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
I think the supporters club did a tour, a lad called Banger climbed over the fence to leave one of the grounds and the steward threatened to break his legs  

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
Belfast Town
July 19, 2012, 8:51am
Cocktail Drinker
For some reason Town toured Northern Ireland for two pre-seasons running. They played in a tournament the following year at Derry City - I saw them beat Finn Harps, but the 'final' was cancelled after the Derry City Chairman died. I can't remember what the connection with Northern Ireland was at that time - Paul Agnew possibly?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
marinerian
July 19, 2012, 12:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Was it to do with sponsors maybe?

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
FishOutOfWater
July 19, 2012, 1:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,577
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Belfast Town
Peter Handysides broke his ankle I seem to recall

That's uncanny

I was just literaly talking to a bloke I work with (in Hull) about Handyside getting injured in the Ireland pre-season friendly after I said to him would the Targers be bringing over their new German signing

He said he doubted he'd play as they'd not want to risk an injury (where Handyside came in to the conversation)

You never know though he could make quite an impact as a sub!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 12
DaveWSwaby
July 19, 2012, 3:29pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Yes, I was there.
The match was significant precisely because of Peter Handyside's injury. It was a long term injury and, as I recall, he didn't fully recover before Lenny lawrence was appointed and brought in a Chinese Centre Half to replace him.
This prompted Handyside to move on (to Stoke City I think) and we were left with a clown for a manager, a centre half who cost more to keep than Handyside and wasn't as good. The rest is history - the start of our descent to the Blue Square Premier. Had Buckley been kept in his job we would still be a League Club.
The next game on the tour, Derry City, was abandoned at half time because of the death of their Chairman and the final match, against Newry Town was cancelled.
A rather expensive trip to Ireland to see one and a half games!
DaveWSwaby
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
Gainsbro_Mariner
July 19, 2012, 3:35pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,458
What year did we tour Scandanvia ? I seem to remember that it was whilst we were in the first division and got drubbed by every club we played, and they were all lower league to non league teams we played.

I remember playing Finn Harps from N.Ireland in 1997 ?? maybe ?

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
Gainsbro_Mariner
July 19, 2012, 4:33pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from DaveWSwaby
Yes, I was there.
The match was significant precisely because of Peter Handyside's injury. It was a long term injury and, as I recall, he didn't fully recover before Lenny lawrence was appointed and brought in a Chinese Centre Half to replace him.
This prompted Handyside to move on (to Stoke City I think) and we were left with a clown for a manager, a centre half who cost more to keep than Handyside and wasn't as good. The rest is history - the start of our descent to the Blue Square Premier. Had Buckley been kept in his job we would still be a League Club.
The next game on the tour, Derry City, was abandoned at half time because of the death of their Chairman and the final match, against Newry Town was cancelled.
A rather expensive trip to Ireland to see one and a half games!
DaveWSwaby

Zhang Enhua was class from what I remember, wasn't he the International captain of China when we had him ? It took him a couple of games for him to settle in, granted he was expensive and we couldn't afford him, but I would say he was on par with Handyside, though I would of kept Handyside as he was a consistent performer for so many years.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
upthestripes
July 19, 2012, 5:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

Zhang Enhua was class from what I remember, wasn't he the International captain of China when we had him ? It took him a couple of games for him to settle in, granted he was expensive and we couldn't afford him, but I would say he was on par with Handyside, though I would of kept Handyside as he was a consistent performer for so many years.

Every time we had a corner with him in the side I expected a goal and we often got one. Wasn't he a part of Lennie's foreign legion, memory's a bit fuzzy on that.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 12
Gainsbro_Mariner
July 19, 2012, 8:19pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from upthestripes

Every time we had a corner with him in the side I expected a goal and we often got one. Wasn't he a part of Lennie's foreign legion, memory's a bit fuzzy on that.

Yeah, Zhang Enhua, Menno Willems, Knut Anders Fostervold, David Nielsen, Morten Hyldgaard and errrr..Neil Murray on loan from Mainz 05

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 12
Belfast Town
July 20, 2012, 9:24am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
What year did we tour Scandanvia ? I seem to remember that it was whilst we were in the first division and got drubbed by every club we played, and they were all lower league to non league teams we played.

I remember playing Finn Harps from N.Ireland in 1997 ?? maybe ?

Not sure whether we played Finn Harps in 1997, but we certainly did in 2000 at the Brandywell in Derry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 13 years ago today

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.